The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 28, 2009, 02:34 PM   #1
340gr

.44mag reloads

i have 310gr oregon trail TrueShot flat nose bullets with gc what type and how much powder should i use to obtain 1500-1600fps or more i use a ruger super blackhawk so really hot loads are not an issue. ive been told alliant2400 16gr but this is still a little slower than id like any ideas?
Old October 28, 2009, 03:00 PM   #2
GP100man

I don`t think you`ll get em going that fast & if anybody has they are`nt going to post it !!

`Bout 1,000 fps out of my 7 1/2" Redhawk is all i can stand!!!!& those 310 gr bullets put 2 holes in everything i`ve shot with em !!!

Happy Shootin & be careful!!
Old October 28, 2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Ruger super Blackhawk so really hot loads are not an issue.

I disagree, and I am with GP100man. I have pushed some 240 gr out of a Contender at over 1600 with H110 and that was above book numbers. That was with new cases and the cases started showing high levels of stress.
The problem you’re going to have with your Ruger is top strap cutting.
I will agree that your Ruger is one of the strongest wheel guns made but at those loads you’re trying to push your over the edge.
What do you want that kind of energy for?
The following has some loads for 300 GR using H4227 and H110 for rifle and they are at 40,000 cup at 1452 FPS. I feel you need to rethink your loading for that gun.
In their pistol section they have loads up to 330 GR bullets.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp
Old October 28, 2009, 08:37 PM   #4
rc

You'll blow up your gun before you get to those velocities from a handgun with that heavy of a bullet. If you want those figures you'll have to drop down to 200gr or less and make sure you have a jacket.
Old October 29, 2009, 12:40 AM   #5
44Magnum

I've done it quite a bit (330 grain @ 1550). I won't post it. Be careful. When you're working up that high everything comes into play (primer brand, case length/brand, exact bullet brand, seating depth, crimp).

Last edited by 44Magnum; October 29, 2009 at 12:45 AM.
Old October 29, 2009, 06:35 AM   #6
SL1

44Magnum,

I don't blame you for not posting the load, but would you mind posting the gun and barrel length? (If you are getting that velocity in a 16" Contender, it would not be a good goal for a guy with a 3" snubby revolver to try for.)

SL1
Old October 29, 2009, 07:58 AM   #7
mtnbkr

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

I drive a 300gr WFN-GC from Cast Performance to 1300fps from my 5.5" Redhawk (stronger than the Blackhawk) with 20.5gr H110. I've gone faster, but the recoil was brutal and accuracy suffered. This is flat shooting load out to 100yds and will shoot through any animal in the lower 48.

IMO, if you need to push a 300+ bullet to 1400+, you need to step up to a larger caliber. You're not going to get more killing power, you're just flattening the trajectory. As I pointed out above, 300@1300 is pretty flat shooting out to 100yds.

Chris
Old October 29, 2009, 08:30 AM   #8
Sport45

Quote:
i use a ruger super blackhawk so really hot loads are not an issue.
When did that start applying to guns other than the Ruger .45 Colt handguns (except the New Vaquero)? Seems a lot of folks these days are trying to hotrod other rounds just because it's a Ruger. Those guns should be treated like any other and loads worked up to determine the individual firearm's limit. Please don't take a souped-up recipe off the web and assume your gun can take it. Anyone posting recipes that are above posted limits should post the warning as mtnbkr did.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:57 AM   #9
abber

You need to get a 460XVR
Old October 29, 2009, 09:13 AM   #10
AlaskaMike

340gr, it's apparent that you're a relatively new reloader, and at this stage of the game you DO NOT want to be experimenting with loads that exceed max levels in published manuals. You can safely push that bullet to about 1100 fps (maybe a bit further--I don't have my manuals with me right now), but to achieve the velocity you mentioned safely, you need a carbine.

Please don't delude yourself into thinking that for some reason you can exceed max published loads and still be safe--if you try for 1500 fps with that bullet you DO run the very real risk of blowing up your gun.

Mike
Old October 29, 2009, 10:23 AM   #11
Slamfire

Quote:
i have 310gr oregon trail TrueShot flat nose bullets with gc what type and how much powder should i use to obtain 1500-1600fps or more
EEK!

I don't even get that with 240's in my Super Blackhawk.
Old October 29, 2009, 10:38 AM   #12
MaineColt

I load 305gr hard cast lead bullets that have a gas check with Winchester 296.

The best velocity that I can get with this load out of my 5.5" Redhawk is 1140fps.

Not the 1500 fps that you want, but this load of mine will penetrate like you wouldn't believe.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:18 AM   #13
GeauxTide

1. 2400 was a slow powder in the 70's.
2. H-110 and 296 are the standards for heavy bullets.
3. 1500-1600 with that weight bullet will reduce the life of the revolver exponentially.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:19 AM   #14
zxcvbob

Is there a reason you are using 310's instead of 240's?

I have a Ruger .45 Colt Blackhawk (Bisley model) and I hotrod it sometimes; a 250 grain bullet at 1300 fps is great fun, but only for a couple of shots. The same bullet at about 1000 fps is fun to shoot all day long. And the .45 Colt is better suited to 300+ grain bullets than the .44 Magnum (the .44 doesn't have enough case capacity.)

I have a handful of 300 grain jacketed bullets but I haven't loaded them yet; that's just what I need -- to develop a flinch again.
Old October 29, 2009, 12:31 PM   #15
CraigC

Quote:
IMO, if you need to push a 300+ bullet to 1400+, you need to step up to a larger caliber. You're not going to get more killing power, you're just flattening the trajectory.
Exactly!
Old October 29, 2009, 01:11 PM   #16
mtnbkr

I just want to add, the only reason I'm pushing a 300 as fast as I am is because the gun is "faster" than normal. That load should be good for 1150-1200fps, not 1300 (actual chrono results from a couple batches of that load). I've noticed the same scenario with other handloads in that gun. I don't think it's my technique because I don't get similar results in my other guns, just this one.

Chris
Old October 29, 2009, 01:12 PM   #17
NWPilgrim

Does Darwin publish a reloading manual?

Seriously, if you are asking the question then you don't have enough experience and knowledge to be working beyond the published load data. If you had enough knowledge to do this type of experimenting then you would already know the principles and process to figure this out. It starts by starting at a safe level and carefully working up in very small steps, constantly monitoring velocity and pressure signs, and trying slower powders.

The fact that you ask for data to leap ahead to these "way beyond" published velocities for that bullet weight indicates you are way over your head. Heed the previous posts advising to stay with published data at this point in your reloading venture. If you need that kind of performance then buy a gun for a cartridge designed to deliver it.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old October 29, 2009, 01:23 PM   #18
azredhawk44

Quote:
When did that start applying to guns other than the Ruger .45 Colt handguns (except the New Vaquero)?
Because it applies more to the Redhawk and SRH than to the .45 Colt SA guns.

It was "discovered" that the heat treat for the .45 cylinders was identical to that of the .44 cylinders and a new breed of .45 was born as a result.

But... the "Ruger only" monicker partly is due to the long cylinder.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

OP: Your mistakes are your own to make. The cylinder is much longer on a DA Ruger revolver than on a SA fixed cylinder model. With a Redhawk or SRH .44 model, you "can" seat the bullet longer and obtain more room for powder or pressure regulation. These loads will be "Ruger only" because they are too long to fit in a Smith or Taurus cylinder (probably only a Dan Wesson 445 cylinder would be longer). THAT is how you will end up reaching higher than published velocities: by finding ways to safely control increases in powder and keep the pressures in check. The crimp cannelure position on your bullet of choice plays a huge part in this equation.

That being said, your specifications are outside of my experiences and I've never pushed a heavy bullet that fast since I don't need that type of firepower down here in AZ. I would, were I in your shoes, question my need for that type of gun-destructive energy and my choice of caliber if I had to arm myself with such a powerful load.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:57 PM   #19
Colorado Redneck

Uncle Nick

A while back, there was a thread about 270 winchester loads (if my memory is correct) and I posted a load I worked up that pushes 130 Hornadys about 3160 fps through my chrony. Uncle nick said that sounded pretty fast and mentioned something like "3000 fps is all you really need." Well, the more I load and shoot, the more I respect the more experienced loaders. A hotter load may sound impressive, but what do you actually accomplish with it? And the guy above that said something about "devloping a flinch....again" hit the nail on the head.

I guess it is like driving fast. Makes you feel good to say you did it.
Old October 31, 2009, 12:22 AM   #20
44Magnum

Quote:
44Magnum,

I don't blame you for not posting the load, but would you mind posting the gun and barrel length? (If you are getting that velocity in a 16" Contender, it would not be a good goal for a guy with a 3" snubby revolver to try for.)

SL1
I achieved the 330 grain at 1550 out of a blued 5.5" Ruger Redhawk.

One of my friends just shakes his head and swears that I'm Elmer Keith reincarnated.

Last edited by 44Magnum; October 31, 2009 at 12:28 AM.