The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old April 30, 2017, 11:10 PM   #1
Bluecthomas

Open carry in nevada

I'm a Cali born and raised, new to Nevada. I understand open carry is legal.
But am unsure of the exact status on loaded or unloaded.
For safety reasons, I dislike a chambered round. But can a loaded mag be in the gun?

Specific gun I'm asking about is a 1911.
Old May 1, 2017, 01:04 AM   #2
Aguila Blanca
Staff

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/nevada.pdf

http://www.nevadacarry.org/car-carry.html
Old May 2, 2017, 01:22 AM   #3
Bluecthomas

That's CCW and car carry.
Had found and previously viewed the car carry one, but it doesn't really clarify what's legal or not once stepped out of vehicle...
Old May 2, 2017, 01:31 AM   #4
Chris Karma

Quote:
For safety reasons, I dislike a chambered round. But can a loaded mag be in the gun?
its not CA, you can and should carry with one in the pipe or not carry at all.
Its far safer to carry one in the pipe rather than fidget with a gun while a bad guy shoots you dead.
It is imperative you get trained, youtube is useless unless you have already been trained and can spot the bovine excrement .
ANY trainer that says its a good idea to carry an unloaded gun is quite simply a moron.
DO NOT carry an unloaded gun, if there is not one in the pipe it is unloaded.
If you feel it is safer it is because you are ignorant, ( that sounds harsh, I am not calling you stupid , I am ignorant on a lot of topics, like medicine or gunsmithing )
Take a course before you carry, if you cant - carry a revolver!
All you are doing is asking to die.
DIE!
you're better off not carrying until you learn how.
http://americangg.net/lose-life-empty-chamber/
Old May 2, 2017, 01:36 AM   #5
Chris Karma

for clarification on nevada law, go to open carry org, they have a good forum.
I moved to Reno due to CA gun laws, I open carried a ton-its fun safe effective.
Old May 2, 2017, 05:29 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluecthomas
That's CCW and car carry.
Had found and previously viewed the car carry one, but it doesn't really clarify what's legal or not once stepped out of vehicle...
The Handgunlaw link does address open carry outside of the car, on page 6:

Quote:
Open Carry (Without a Valid Permit/License)

Open Carry is legal. Places listed in the Places Off Limits Section may not be off limits to those who open carry. See Places Off Limits Above. Also see the
“RV/Car Carry Without a Permit” section for carrying in a vehicle. 202.3673 states Airport Terminals are off limits for Conceal ed Carry. I am being told this makes open carry legal in Public Airports outside Security.

The state preempts all firearm laws in the state and local authorities can’t have Laws/Ordinances against open carry. Remember that if you enter any property and the owner/responsible person ask you to leave you must leave. Failure to leave can result in Trespass Charges. The Minimum age for Open Carry is 18.

NevadaCarry.org has very good info on Open Carry here. In some states Open Carry is forbidden in places where those with a valid permit/license can carry. This is not the last word on Open Carry in this state. Check at www.opencarry.org or go to Google and type in State Name Open Carry or Open Carry State Name for a search for open carry info in this state. Check with the State's RKBA Organization/s. Also see “Attorney General Opinions/Court Cases” Section for any written opinions/Cases on Open Carry.
Old May 2, 2017, 05:36 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Karma
DO NOT carry an unloaded gun, if there is not one in the pipe it is unloaded.
While I agree with most of Mr. Karma's post in which this statement appears, I have to point out that the statement that if there is not one in the pipe it is unloaded is his functional definition. Functionally I agree, but we need to understand that the laws of many (dare I say "most"?) states provide that if there is a loaded magazine in the gun, even without a round in the chamber, it IS considered to be loaded in the eyes of the law. I believe there are a couple of states where even having a loaded magazine in proximity to the firearm constitutes having the firearm "loaded." (Not certain on that last part, but I read it on the Internet, so it must be true.)

If there is a concern about open carrying a loaded firearm, first you need to determine what the particular state's laws say about carrying a loaded firearm, and then you need to look up how that state defines what constitutes "loaded."
Old May 2, 2017, 11:25 PM   #8
Chris Karma

Quote:
you need to look up how that state defines what constitutes "loaded."
Correct sir!

I saw the OP said he was California, Ca has/had strange laws.
In NV loaded WRT semi-auto means a chambered round.
In Ca, a gun is loaded if magazine is inserted in the magwell, (regardless of chambered or not ) and cops may try charging you ( with a crime ) if the mag is in the same case.
In general, NV has pretty good open carry laws, however some people need to spread some kind of myth that "if you have a ccw you are not allowed to open carry"
These folks often do not know what the NRS is, so disregard them.

Edited to add, I lved in NV for over ten yrs and had a ccw, life member NRA.
Old May 2, 2017, 11:33 PM   #9
Tinbucket

Open Carry in Nevada

If you are afraid to carry with one in the chamber, you need to practice, get familiar and feel confident with the gun.
The gun is not going to discharge unless you pull the trigger, unless it is an old Original Colt or Ruger and it is dropped from the top of a building Then you keep an empty chamber.
If you are afraid it will go off while you are toying with it in the holster. Better get in a whole lot ore practice and realize you pull the trigger it goes bang.
In the holster you never touch the gun until it is called up for duty, so to speak.
However my wife has a little Taurus.38 stainless that I don't want to handle loaded. I need mucho more practice with it, is what I'm telling her.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:01 PM   #10
Bluecthomas

Moved to Reno in past year, from Cali, following the jobs.

While I'm here, enjoying the guns and adding to my collection...
If I ever move back, will need to do something about mags with high capacity.

Still hunting for a holster I like. Will need to experiment with the safety. But I don't see where a second to work the slide is going to really change the chances of drawing and firing in time if shtf.
Honestly, if I see trouble coming, the pistol will be for after shotgun runs dry. Or rifle if the distance is long enough...

I actually prefer revolvers to semi auto, but prices of nice ones suck. And in a decade or so will inherit a 1895 Colt .41. it's not a .44 or s&w 500, but it's not a .38 snub either.

Chris, I'm a rgr member. Often there on either Sunday or more likely Monday afternoons.
Pm me or whatever, perhaps we can go shooting sometime. You probably got things I'd like to try and vice versa. My PPS is lots of fun at .22 prices.
Old May 5, 2017, 05:30 AM   #11
hbhobby

I have to disagree that one in the pipe is only way to carry. I carry unloaded (your definition) but I train to draw and cycle action. The limiting factor for me time wise is access to the firearm (I carry deep concealed, under many layers of clothing etc). So I have to draw two handed and it is natural to rack the action in the process of drawing.
Old May 5, 2017, 10:08 AM   #12
Glenn E. Meyer

Must we do the unchambered carry debate again? I grant folks that unchambered open carry is a new nuance combining to of the most popular arguments on the internet gun world.

Also, discussing the advantages of such is not a Law and CR issue. Whether it is legal is. I doubt that Nevada mandates a silliness like unchambered or unloaded open carry. I know that California seemed to go that way until it was banned because of folks open carrying without a mag in the gun.

So closed.