The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 7, 2017, 08:42 AM   #1
HuntingLikeABadHabit

Turkey Call Info

Some years ago I received a turkey call as a college graduation gift from my parents. I'm a simple being what can I say. I had never seen anything like it and still cannot find another like it. My parents got it third party from an older hunter in our area. It may look a little crude and handmade but it sounds great and really can talk bird. Now that it's turkey season again I am looking for info and maybe even another call or 6 to add to the repertoire. Can anyone give me more info on this style or callmaker?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5G...ew?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5G...ew?usp=sharing
Old April 7, 2017, 11:50 AM   #2
Blindstitch

When did you graduate?

Apparently
A**** and Sealy Dalton still live at that address and are in their 60's. Beyond that I don't know since I can't even figure out that persons first name.
Old April 7, 2017, 01:38 PM   #3
HuntingLikeABadHabit

4 years ago. I did some OIF study abroad things before I went to school.
Old April 8, 2017, 02:16 AM   #4
Blindstitch

Well if no better answer comes in here maybe you should write a letter to the address and see what they say. Include your Email or maybe phone number so they can easily contact you back.

Any idea what kind of store or where it was bought. Maybe people there might know.
Old April 8, 2017, 10:17 AM   #5
buck460XVR

Looks like a common type of call most of us refer to as "scratch" boxes and are quite readily available. I made a ton of them myself over the years. One reason they are so popular is because they are one of the easiest to make and to use, altho highly suspect to moisture and hunting in wet conditions.

Here's a good example of a single Google search.......https://www.midwestturkeycall.com/155-scratch-boxes
Old April 20, 2017, 01:29 PM   #6
Olympus

I would recommend a pot and peg style call of slate, glass, aluminum, etc. Easy to learn on and versatile with the sounds you can product. If you're looking for simplicity, you can't beat a push/pull call. Personally, I don't like the sounds from box calls, especially ones being produced now. The sound is "off" to my ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk