The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 6, 2019, 07:18 PM   #1
Rogervzv

Who carries a "Mouse Gun" for CCW?

Lately I have really gotten into so-called "mouse guns" for CCW. When wearing a suit or for that matter jeans, I find it annoying to carry a larger pistol and I was noticing that I was making excuses to myself not to carry at all. Not good.

I picked up a gently used Beretta Jetfire (.25acp) and I have found that I can carry it under almost all conditions. Another favorite is the Beretta Tomcat (.32 acp). FWIW my usual carry piece is a Sig P238. Looking to pick up a Ruger LCP in the near future.

Anyone else out there carrying a "mouse gun" sometimes?

My two Berettas
Old October 6, 2019, 07:31 PM   #2
osbornk

I have both a 10.7 ounce Taurus TCP and a 10 ounce Spectrum. I like them both but prefer the Spectrum. I didn't need the Spectrum but Rural King had them for $119.99 with an out the door price of around $127. I like the Spectrum very much.
Old October 6, 2019, 08:11 PM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
Looking to pick up a Ruger LCP in the near future.
I carried one for years and loved it--mostly because it was very adaptable to multiple conceal positions even when wearing thin/flimsy clothes in very hot summer weather. sold it to a friend and upgraded to an LC9s which I like shooting more, but is somewhat larger and prints much more readily than the lcp. Probably get another one day, though the LC9 I'm guessing probably doubles the effective stopping distance over a 380 microgun.
Old October 6, 2019, 08:22 PM   #4
JERRYS.

yes, a Seecamp .32 but I don't think I ever just carried that.
Old October 6, 2019, 08:27 PM   #5
FITASC

The LCP is great for this scenario, but it isn't the most pleasant to shoot as it is VERY thin, and seems to do a number on the web of my hand
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 6, 2019, 08:33 PM   #6
Nanuk

My small gun is a steel J frame 357 Magnum. Friends don't let friends carry mouse guns.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 6, 2019, 08:38 PM   #7
FITASC

Smart folks don't shoot 357 out of J frames either..............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old October 6, 2019, 08:50 PM   #8
Rogervzv

The first rule of carrying is to carry. Sometimes a bigger gun just isn't practical. My .25 acp Jetfire is nobody's combat gun, but it is infinitely better than no gun at all, and sometimes that's the choice -- carry small, or not at all. There is a time and place for small handguns.
Old October 6, 2019, 09:01 PM   #9
kymasabe

I do. I've been carrying a kel-tec p32 for years.
Old October 6, 2019, 09:30 PM   #10
batmann

I have a LCP and a Kimber Micro 9 and the LCP is easier to conceal, but I carry the Micro 9 more.
Old October 6, 2019, 09:35 PM   #11
Mike38

I carry a baby mouse about 9 months out of the year. A Taurus PT22PLY. I'm perfectly content with a .22 LR. Haven't had a failure of any kind with it for well over 500 rounds. During winter months when concealment is easier because of jacket wear, I carry a S&W J frame in .38spcl.
Old October 6, 2019, 10:18 PM   #12
bamaranger

mouse guns

Ease and convenience are poor factors for determining what one might carry for SD of your life or others,( I certainly am not the author of that thought, Clint Smith as one source) but I'd hazard that any gun beats no gun provided it's loaded and functions. With the advent of the affordable mini and micro pistols in .380 and even 9mm, I really can't see the reliance on any .25 and .32 anymore, and certainly not as a primary weapon. My experience with mouse guns is a a second or THIRD gun and limited to .22lr. I had a real problem with .22lr in ammo in a tiny Beretta not getting contaminated due to carry under a ballistic vest in hot and humid conditions. Center fire ammo would likely hold up better in those conditions and so the tiny .25's and .32's might yet have a place. I suppose also, if one already has a .25 or .32, and simply, absolutely cannot obtain anything else, one must "use the tools they have". (Lincoln, I think)

The OP and at least one other post mention a "suit" and or a jacket. My thought is dressed in that manner, you have a cover garment, and ought to about be able to carry any "serious" handgun one desires. Limited to trousers and a tucked in shirt, say as a dress code, I'd opt for a J-frame in pocket carry, but maybe my pockets are bigger than the next guys..........
Old October 6, 2019, 10:42 PM   #13
Crankylove

I pocket carry an NAA mini in .22 mag. in a homemade holster.

It’s by no means my first choice, but unfortunately, for 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week, it’s all I can get away with. The type of physical activity and required dress, make it it impossible to carry anything bigger.

When I’m not at work, I carry a .327 Federal SP101, or when I have enough layers on in the colder months, I may carry a 1911 or Hipower.
Old October 7, 2019, 01:26 AM   #14
reloder56

I sometimes carry a Galesi Model 9 .25 ACP in a Bianchi Model 18 A holster during the summer months.
Old October 7, 2019, 01:49 AM   #15
stagpanther

380 gets a lot of bad rap--but I loaded some stout loads with solid bullets which I'm pretty sure would be very bad news to be hit with at very close range; say 7yds +/-
Old October 7, 2019, 06:31 AM   #16
TJB101

P238 in my pocket all the time. Use to carry a 225 OWB and have come to really appreciate a pocket pistol.
Old October 7, 2019, 07:37 AM   #17
jar

While I have lots of larger caliber semi-automatics what I actually carry are the smaller ones. Mostly over the years it's been 32acp but yes, at times I will even carry a 22LR as my primary and often only handgun. My Beretta 21A Bobcat is from 1997 IIRC while my Beretta 1935 is from the late 1960s.

I like the smaller calibers for several reasons; primarily accuracy and consistency of second or additional shots when under stress. Recently when updating my gun inventory I realized that I have more 32acp pistols then my 9mm Parabellum and 380 combined.

I also own quite a few 380 Mouse Guns including the LCP and Pico and RM380 and S&W BG380 but honestly they are far more difficult to shoot or operate when under a high stress situation. That is even more true when it comes to the Micro 9mm Parabellums like my Sig P290RS.

I those situations where I am likely to need to use my handgun for self defense I feel far more secure even with one of my 22LR Mouse Guns than with the larger caliber Micro handguns.

When considering the small pocketable 380 handguns I own I find the Sig P230 or my EG Makarov more accurate and repeatable than my Sig P290RS in 380.
Old October 7, 2019, 09:14 AM   #18
BillM

Ruger LCP gen 1 with a crimson trace laser. Right front pocket in a Alabama Holster Co.
Kydex pocket holster. Every day---all day long. Been carrying it for about 10
years now. Gun looks like it has taken a trip through a cement mixer. Probably
should Cerakote the poor little thing--but it runs 100% and I really don't care what
it looks like.
Old October 7, 2019, 10:49 AM   #19
cc-hangfire

For me, Kel Tec P3AT is my EDC about half the time and occasionally a NAA .22mag revolver (less than 5% of the time).

[The other times, it’s a pocket 9mm - Kahr CM9, Diamondback DB9, KT P11]

BTW, is the Mouse Gun category defined by caliber (.32acp or smaller) or size (lots of .380acp pocket guns available now)?
Old October 7, 2019, 11:19 AM   #20
TheGunGeek

First, those are two nice Beretta's!

My daily carry is a Beretta 92 compact. I wear a suit during the week, so it's easy to carry with an OWB holster.

When I need to go down to something smaller, I have a Beretta 84, and for something really slim an 85. I do have a small backup (pocket size) .380, however I'll only carry it when nothing else is practical. I'm very aware of practical accuracy limitations when going this small, which is why I avoid it when possible.

All this said, the most important thing is to always carry, so whatever works for you is what matters. Just be sure to practice with what you carry. This way you'll have good data on how the combination of you, and the gun perform.
Old October 7, 2019, 12:14 PM   #21
T. O'Heir

Our idiot government decided .25 and .32 calibre pistols were the preferred illegally obtained firearm of our criminals and banned 'em. Same with anything with a barrel shorter than 4". Mind you, there is no CCW here to start with either.
Oh and a .25 ACP will go right through a 2 x 4 at 100 yards. Assuming, of course, you can hit it with those wee tiny sights.
Old October 7, 2019, 05:37 PM   #22
FAS1

My P3AT is always in my front pocket even if my G26 is on me. P3AT always when at home.
Old October 7, 2019, 08:10 PM   #23
1MoreFord

I've carried mouse guns many times. A NAA .22LR, a .32 Seecamp, and a .380 PPK.

I also have a LCP Custom but haven't carried it Yet.
Old October 7, 2019, 08:13 PM   #24
gbran

My main carry is also a Sig P238. Weather here is generally mild.
Old October 7, 2019, 08:57 PM   #25
KyJim

I pocket carry a Ruger LCP or Sig P238 in warm weather quite a bit because of clothing restrictions. In cool weather, I'll carry larger guns in belt holsters, ranging from a 9mm SW Shield to a commander sized 1911 in .45.