The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 9, 2014, 09:20 PM   #101
briandg

It has certainly made me think of a few things, especially the idea of packing all of it, bullets, powder, primers, into a separate closet. Grabbing the wrong primer, wrong bullet, wrong powder, it can all be a dangerous mistake. So primers and bullets go into a box under the bench, and I have a cabinet that the powder can go into. My storage is in a dry basement.
Old November 9, 2014, 09:23 PM   #102
briandg

BTW, this is one of the reasons I prefer to suggest a progressive reloader. A progressive loader, theoretically, once it's properly set up, is going to work like clockwork. No mistakes.

In theory.
Old November 9, 2014, 09:46 PM   #103
noylj

I only use extruded powders (sticks) for rifle.
I do wish ALL powder containers had the powder name on three sides of the container. I wish the lids/caps had the powder name on them (but the companies would find the segregation and QC too costly, I imagine).
Best is to keep rifle and pistol powders in different areas/shelves.
Hope all is well.
Old November 14, 2014, 08:16 PM   #104
dkyser

Update:

Hand is coming along, lots of stiffness yet, and working with it is painful. Stitches came out a few days ago, hard to believe they can fit 16 sutures in the last part of your middle finger.

Purchased a replacement rifle today, have to say a little nervous about pulling that trigger for the first time.

I got a Tika T3 Lite LH in .308. I told the guys at the gun shop no more 7mm-08 for me, the one I shot kicked like a mule. They got a kick out of it.
Old November 16, 2014, 12:01 AM   #105
625cnd

Things to take away from this aside from obvious

Never go shooting alone have a means to call 911
Learn basic first aid and get supplies
Have a pre plan for events how does LE or EMS get past a locked gate?
Old November 16, 2014, 11:53 AM   #106
dkyser

Not going to lie was really hard shooting today, took several rounds of factory ammo 7mm-08 to relax.

Then another shooter fell and broke his arm checking a target, drove him to the ER. was starting to think I was jinxed. Went back to sight in my Tika T3 .308 and shot some great groups.
Old November 16, 2014, 02:27 PM   #107
Emerson Biggies

Glad to hear you still have your eyes

I hope you fully recover.. I also failed the multi-powder test, but it only cost me a can of powder. After reloading, I dumped the powder measure back into the WRONG container. There goes my can of Bullseye lawn food. $25!
Old November 17, 2014, 10:48 PM   #108
nmroamer

Thank you

It must have taken a lot of courage to post your experience.
I don't know if I could. I started reloading in 1977 and but for the grace of God I could have been there.
Thank you For the wake up call.
Old November 18, 2014, 05:10 AM   #109
Thunderkiss

I'm a new member and joined because of this thread. I also took a serious look at how and what I had been doing stuff in the past. Thanks for posting. Hope hand gets back to 100% soon.
Old November 18, 2014, 12:54 PM   #110
mjm

Welcome to the forum Thunderkiss!

Like others I made at least one change. Although I never have more than one container of powder on my benchtop, I now turn the label towards me (idea posted earlier). I use a load sheet with large print (for my tired eyes). Previously the loadsheet was placed radomly on the bench. I now put it next to the powder and in view of my scale and powder trickler.

dkyser, I am glad that hand is doing well. It is something to be thankful for going into the holiday seasons.
Old November 18, 2014, 08:36 PM   #111
Fox84

Thanks for sharing your experience. It really makes me think about safety in my future reloading activities.
Old November 18, 2014, 11:15 PM   #112
bbqncigars

dkyser,
Thanks for starting this thread. That took guts and wisdom. I've been reloading for over forty five years, and this thread made me take a close look at how I've been doing things. Many years ago I caught a near substitution of Bullseye for IMR3031 (wrong powder measure). That's when the rule of only one container of powder on the bench was started. This thread has given me some other useful safety tips. Thanks again for starting this, and may your PT be short and painless.
Old November 21, 2014, 09:02 PM   #113
Dragonflydf

first off, glad your injuries were not any worse, and it is always good if something useful can come from a incident like this.

Something that I do to avoid this is to have labels that I can attach to my powder measure as to what powder is in it.

I picked up a bunch of magnets about the diameter of a quarter at Hobby Lobby, with a label maker I put each name of powder on a separate magnet. Each magnet sets on top of the powder bottle until it is ready to be used, then the magnet is moved onto the rotor of the powder measure.
Old November 22, 2014, 03:03 PM   #114
bbqncigars

Dragonflydf, now there's a nice simple idea that calls for a store run.
Old November 23, 2014, 07:20 PM   #115
warnerwh

That's a great reminder and it is appreciated. Even those of us who have been loading for many years.We are all capable of mistakes.
Old November 23, 2014, 07:35 PM   #116
iraiam

Glad you're OK.

I have to say that is the most blown up rifle I have ever seen, I haven't seen many, but dang! So I guess I agree with the title of your OP.

I saw someone with a similar, although much less devastating "unauthorized disassembly" years ago at a rifle match, that left a lasting impression with me, so will this.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old November 24, 2014, 08:26 PM   #117
Suwannee Tim

Check, double check then check again. And if you are not sure do it again.

"Stuff like this makes me wonder if I, still very much a child, have any business in this reloading stuff........"

I started reloading when I was 14, I was mostly unsupervised. The only mistakes I have made have been in the last few years, well into my 50s. Youth is not an impediment if you have the right mindset. Age is no advantage if you lack the right mindset. Fortunately for me my mistakes were minor, reading load data for a 350 grain bullet in a 416 Rigby then using it with a 400 grain bullet for example. I noticed the mistake after I shot the loads then was loading them again. Deliberately check everything, caliber, bullet weight, powder type, powder weight, etc, etc. Then check it again, then check it again.

Last edited by Suwannee Tim; November 24, 2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old November 25, 2014, 09:28 AM   #118
Bamashooter2

Made the same mistake with similar containers.Refilled the hopper of my Dillon with CFE223 instead of CFEpistol! I did a double check of the jug and had a few choice words for my own carelessness. There went $30 worth of hard to come by powder!! Dump and redo. I just use a small piece of masking tape on my powder measures with powder and charge weight.
Old November 26, 2014, 07:14 PM   #119
tobnpr

Quote:
Then another shooter fell and broke his arm checking a target,
Jeez..... You'd have to work really hard to pull that one off...

Glad you're OK- could easily have been much worse.

While I don't go so far as some here by storing powder in the next county, it is a cardinal rule that only the jug I'm using comes off shelf- and sits next to the press.

When I'm loading I write in big numbers on a sheet of paper in front of me the charge I'm currently dumping for weighing my random "spot checks" (progressive press). If I change the weight of the charge (as when doing many different ones during load development), throw the paper away and start with a new one. Bullets- same rule as powders. Only the box I'm using is on the bench.

You were lucky- both with regard to your injuries, and the fact that you've learned a lesson that will be forever ingrained in your mind and will transfer to the safety at your loading bench. For sure, you'll never make that mistake, again.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old November 26, 2014, 11:29 PM   #120
Elkins45

Thanks for posting this. Glad it was your hand and not your head.

Reading this thread makes me want to run downstairs and see if I have more than one can of powder on my bench right now.

EDIT: so the bad news is that there were four different powders on my bench. The good news is that they were AA#7, 800-X, AL-8 and Trail Boss. It would be almost impossible to mistake any one of them for the others.

Last edited by Elkins45; November 26, 2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old December 2, 2014, 10:53 AM   #121
Wat_Tyler

Thank you so much for sharing. It takes a real man to admit mistakes. You have done a good service to others by sharing this.
Old December 2, 2014, 01:52 PM   #122
Jeff2131

Glad i had read this post a while back...this past weekend i headed up to the reloading room to crank out some 308's. We have been doing some home renos and getting ready for the thanksgiving.crew to come over. Anyway, the last thing i was reloading was.....uhhh. theres some powder in the hopper but i didnt leave the bottle out. Well, let me match the powder to whats in my cabinet....hmmmm, powder in the hopper looks the same as my autocomp and my lilgun. So which one is it...cant recall what i was reloading last...thought it was 357 but it could have been beowulf. Then i remembered reading this post and decided that that last bit of powder in the hopper wasnt worth rolling the dice on whether im going to the hospital or not. I decide to just dump it in my "mixed" bottle and add to the garden food for the spring. I hope that this post makes others think in similar situations as it made me decide better safe then sorry. I couldnt imagine what would have happened it i dumped lilgun into what was left of my autocomp and then reloaded 38/357 with it.

Glad your healing up and again, glad you shared your experience.
Old December 2, 2014, 03:03 PM   #123
BWM

THANKS the good Lord that he was looking out for you. I hope that you will get OK soon.
Old December 2, 2014, 07:08 PM   #124
9MMand223only

Wow.

May I ask how many grains of Titegroup you loaded in the rifle cartridge?

That had to be near 200,000 PSI, because I am guessing it was overloaded by 4-5x the max. Titegroup is so fine too, a TON fits in a case.

Glad your OK, we all make mistakes. Thanks for sharing, that was very humble of you.
Old December 4, 2014, 05:58 PM   #125
Kachok

That is my worst fear in reloading, I keep my handgun powders far away from my rifle powders and on a high shelf. I got into the habit of only keeping one powder at a time out.