The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 28, 2011, 08:21 PM   #1
hogslayerUSAF

Sharps, lets talk

Hello all new to the forum. looking to get opinoins good bad and ugly on sharps. how many of you guys got em. how many shoot factory loads v. handloads or vice vesra. blackpowder cartridge or "white" smokeless cartridge. Preferred make/model? likes dislikes about all. distance capes. pretty much open to everything at this point.

Backstory is reading a CAS magazine saw a add for a lyman rifle and got bit by the bug, and gotta get one. looking at probably a pederoli of some model havent decided which one yet.

Thanx for the insight

Drew
Old June 28, 2011, 09:39 PM   #2
hogslayerUSAF

pedersoli*
Old June 29, 2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Jbar4Ranch

My Uberti will outshoot my Shiloh. Not by much, but it consistently gives me smaller groups. Pedersoli makes the entire rifle for Uberti, so Pedersoli vs. Uberti is a moot point. I shoot black powder .45-70 with a cast 530 grain Postell bullet and can consistently shoot sub-10" groups at 500 yards on a cool calm day, with my best being 3 3/8". Those bullets have to come down somewhere, and they just happened to land all in the same place that day. I also have a .45-120 Uberti, but haven't shot it all that much. A decent Soule tang sight with a spirit level globe front sight is a must.

My Shiloh is a much prettier rifle though.

SASS 47015
Old June 30, 2011, 06:58 AM   #4
oilcan72

Hello,

I have a Pedersoli and I'm shooting 2F black powder with a 500 grain Lee bullet, I have had good results at 200 yards which is the longest the public range here has. I've had the best results with Winchester cases so far. I bought mine from Cabelas and it has the Millenium finish, and no tang sight yet. I will be getting one shortly which will be an improvement over their standard sight.

Hope this helped you,

oilcan72
Old July 1, 2011, 08:54 AM   #5
enyaw

Don't over look the "C Sharps" rifles made in the samme state as Shilo and ,as some relate, are even better rifles than Shilo. C Sharps used to be one with Shilo a good while back.
Lyman rifle and Pedersoli was mentioned. Pedersoli makes the best in the world factory authentic side locks. InvestArms that makes the Lyman Great Plains rifle makes good barrels and ....never seen or heard of an inaccurate Great Plains rifle. InvestArms rifles are rougher but not really bad and the cost is more viable to folks without large savings.
Anywhoooooo.......The Pedersoli Sharps are real nice rifles. Real nice. They can keep up with a Shilo Sharps.
There are distributors for the Shilo that stock them and that means no years of waiting for your rifle to be made.
I have a Shilo and a Pedersoli and always grap "Ole Nelly" the Pedersoli to go shooting. It's accurate....shoots "minute of ground hog" out in the farm fields.
Old July 1, 2011, 10:53 AM   #6
dalegribble

I don't shoot in competition but I have a Pedersoli Sharps 45/70 and I am amazed at the accuracy. It is exceptional for what I have used it for. The wood is beautiful as well as the fit and finish. There might be slightly prettier and there are much more expensive rifles available but I doubt any would shoot much better.
Old July 1, 2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Razor740

...the Bad and the Ugly....

IAB ....
Stay far, far away from these ...
In all fairness there may be a good one or two out there...
But NOT the one I had.
Soft internals, very crude sights to name the glaring faults.
Old July 1, 2011, 03:22 PM   #8
Ideal Tool

Riflesmith 1877 long-range .40 2 1/2" for my money. Too bad the Italians can't seem to get the forearm shape right after all these years.