The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old March 23, 2023, 11:10 PM   #1
TeddyBro84

Panther Arms LR 243

I recently picked up a Panther Arms LR 243 which is chambered in, you guessed it, .243 Win. I haven't been very successful in finding much info on it to switch out stock, handguard, etc. If anyone has any history, interchangeable parts, or basic knowledge on these rifles I would greatly appreciate anything.
Old March 24, 2023, 01:52 AM   #2
ballardw

I believe DPMS is Panther Arms at https://dpmsinc.com/
Their AR-10 components should fit. Currently they aren't listing a .243 but I would direct questions to them.

It is likely that many other AR-10 pattern rifle bits would interchange.
Old March 24, 2023, 04:37 AM   #3
stagpanther

Quote:
I recently picked up a Panther Arms LR 243 which is chambered in, you guessed it, .243 Win. I haven't been very successful in finding much info on it to switch out stock, handguard, etc. If anyone has any history, interchangeable parts, or basic knowledge on these rifles I would greatly appreciate anything.
I remember looking at one longingly when it first came out--had a round carbon fiber handguard as I recall--way before anyone else started doing it commercially. I bought an LRT SASS around the same time. Corny as it sounds, it might be worth preserving in its original condition if that's possible.Before DPMS-Panther lost its independence and was acquired by the (I think) Freedom group or Cerberus group--they made excellent AR's at a low price point--and they were tough as well. They had a bad rep that I thought was vastly exaggerated just because they were so affordable.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 26, 2023 at 04:34 AM.
Old March 24, 2023, 04:28 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Bing shows me the LR308, so I imagine yours to be the same basic rifle in .243.

As to parts compatibility, roll your dice. Since there is no "milspec" or others standard for AR 10 pattern rifles, each maker, and each parts maker is free to do what they want, and "tweak" things as they see fit.

You are in a situation where replacement parts "should fit" and probably will, but you can't know any specific part will actually fit and work properly until you install it on your gun, or get "the word" from someone else who has a gun the same as yours and has already done it with the same part(s) you are considering.

Good Luck
You might find things that are "plug & play" but you might also find things that are "some fitting required".

And, you might even find some things that are "no sane amount of fitting will make this work". Ya never know until you try.
Old March 25, 2023, 02:00 AM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
As to parts compatibility, roll your dice. Since there is no "milspec" or others standard for AR 10 pattern rifles, each maker, and each parts maker is free to do what they want, and "tweak" things as they see fit.
That's true--but DPMS was widely recognized as setting "the standard" for AR-10 based receivers. For years after the industry started cranking them out most of them referred to them as "DPMS compatible." The two basic variations in uppers were high and low rails machined into the upper; there might be a chance the OP's is a high but it should be obvious which it is. My LRT SASS is a high but fits on most other manufacturer's lowers (except the retarded ones that don't fit anyone's other receivers well). Yes, of course, AR Stoner had their own specs for the "original." Original DPMS steel mags are still among the best IMO.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 25, 2023 at 02:07 AM.
Old March 25, 2023, 02:22 AM   #6
stagpanther

OP--can you post some pics? I think it's a classic and I would keep it as is and just build one from scratch if you want to change it that much--but it's your's to do with as you wish.

Last edited by stagpanther; March 25, 2023 at 02:29 AM.
Old March 26, 2023, 04:31 AM   #7
stagpanther

The Freedom Group was/is essentially, a complete disaster for the firearms industry. For a while they had DPMS and Stag under their umbrella (as well as Bushmaster, Marlin and others)--hence, drum roll, "stagpanther."
Old March 26, 2023, 12:10 PM   #8
stagpanther

So far nothing but crickets chirping from our new member.
Old April 2, 2023, 02:58 PM   #9
44caliberkid

As for stocks, if you have the A2 fixed stock version , your stock choices are pretty limited with the A2 buffer tube, but Magpul makes a couple nice choices. If you switch to a carbine buffer and tube, anybody’s adjustable stock will fit. If you already have an adjustable stock, most of the aftermarket adjustable stocks should fit your tube. As mentioned earlier, there are low and high rail uppers. A google search will show you the difference. If you have the high rail, handguard choices are limited, but if you have the low (more common) anyone’s low rail LR308 handguard will work, but you might have to replace the barrel nut to one proprietary to that handguard. It’s a quick job for a gunsmith or someone who has built a lot of AR’s. The Pickatinny slot spacing between the receiver and the handguard might be messed up, preventing you from bridging that gap with a one piece scope mount. But individual scope rings or putting the one piece mount on the receiver fix that.