The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 30, 2018, 12:51 PM   #1
TruthTellers

3 inch .22LR LCRx: Who has one and do you like it?

While I don't need it, I want a .22 DA/SA revolver and my preference is something that holds more than 6 rounds and is under $500 and the only option available is the Ruger LCRx.

I could spend more money on S&W, but from what I've read from others they find the triggers to be no better than any other .22 DA/SA revolver. I'm not willing to spend more money for something with a similarly poor DA trigger.

The Taurus Trackers are too big and heavy for my taste and the Model 94 is tough to find for a fair price now that they're no longer made.

The Charter .22's are all 6 rounds. I'd buy one if they were 8 and had a better front sight. Charter doesn't seem interested in making any revolvers with more than 6 rounds, so I'm not holding out hope that'll change soon.

So that really leaves me with Ruger and their LCRx. I was going to buy one last year, but all the reviews I read complained about the low weight being difficult to hold on target.

Who here has shot or owned the 3 inch LCRx in .22LR? Did you like it? Do you think it's worth $450?
Old July 31, 2018, 07:20 AM   #2
tallball

I'm a revolver guy myself. My 38 special LCR is my preferred carry piece for most of the year. The trigger is excellent. That being said...

My main shooting buddy is my FiL. For years he always preferred to target shoot at 15 yards. Recently he's gotten fond of seven yards. My 22 handguns were basically all target models. Shooting them at seven yards is kind of silly. I thought I would get a shorter-barreled model to make shorter range shooting more interesting, and it might also be handy for pocket carry while walking around the family property (for snakes or plinking or what have you).

I couldn't find a 2" or 3" 22 revolver that I liked for a reasonable price. I'm not willing to pay large amounts of money for a short-barreled 22 plinker.

The Raven HP22a has a surprisingly good reputation for a cheap little 22 semi-automatic pistol. It has a 3" barrel. I got one used for $84. I'm about to go try it out this morning. If it shoots as well as its reputation, I will have filled that niche for a very good price. I prefer revolvers, but for $84 I'm willing to compromise my preferences.
Old August 1, 2018, 10:48 PM   #3
reteach

I'm not really answering your question. I don't own one, but I'm in the same boat you are, i.e., I have just about convinced myself to get an LCRX .22. I do have an LCRX in .327 and now I need something to practice my double action trigger work that takes relatively cheaper ammo. I know it won't be exactly apples to apples, but it'll be close enough.

And we're talking about buying a gun. What could possibly be bad about buying another gun?
Old August 1, 2018, 10:56 PM   #4
HighValleyRanch

Can't help with the .22 version, but I love my .38 special +P 3" model. So easy to pack around the property OWB. I think this looks pretty spiffy with the custom grips. The nice thing about these are the super light weight, but the mid range size. It's weird when you first pick it up, it's big but light.

No problem holding steady on the target, for me anyways. I like light guns and seem to hold just as steady as heavyweight target guns. Of course the .22 versions are supposed to have a slightly heavier trigger than the centerfires.

But size and weight can't be beat.....and looks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05303.JPG (208.6 KB, 3191 views)
Old August 2, 2018, 07:07 AM   #5
9x19

I have both the .38 and .22 versions.

No complaints with either one, and both are a joy to carry. I don't have a problem hitting what I'm shooting at, but then my favorite .22 semi is the Ruger 22/45 LITE

Good luck
Old August 2, 2018, 12:47 PM   #6
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
Can't help with the .22 version, but I love my .38 special +P 3" model. So easy to pack around the property OWB. I think this looks pretty spiffy with the custom grips. The nice thing about these are the super light weight, but the mid range size. It's weird when you first pick it up, it's big but light.

No problem holding steady on the target, for me anyways. I like light guns and seem to hold just as steady as heavyweight target guns. Of course the .22 versions are supposed to have a slightly heavier trigger than the centerfires.

But size and weight can't be beat.....and looks.
I like those grips, but I've already decided that the Packmayr Guardian Grips are better for carry.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...evolver-video/
Old August 2, 2018, 01:39 PM   #7
HighValleyRanch

It's crrently available for the Ruger LCRX?
Old August 2, 2018, 11:39 PM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
It's crrently available for the Ruger LCRX?
yes. Only seller I know of is Opticsplanet tho, so you probably won't get it for months if you order it from them.
Old August 11, 2018, 08:19 AM   #9
Buckeye!

I own a LCR357 and extremely happy with it.. Im hoping that they soon come out with a 3 inch barrel version.
Old August 12, 2018, 07:32 AM   #10
smee78

I have shot the 38spl version and was very happy with it and am looking to add the 327 LCRX to my CC rotation. The LCR platform has what I believe to be a better trigger VS the j frame sized guns. The 22 model triggers is a little heaver ( I did not notice it enough to make a huge difference) but the trigger design really makes it a smooth pull and would rather have it be 100% reliable vs a little lighter and not reliable. I personally have not had any problems holding them on target, I'm sure it will just take a little time shooting the gun to get use to it.
Old August 14, 2018, 09:42 PM   #11
WheelGunMan

I have the LCRX in .22WMR and I really enjoy it. Mines relatively new so only have a couple hundred rounds thru it. I also own a LCR .357 and a LCR .22WMR. I picked this one up for the adjustable sights and to get fuller potential from the magnum cartridge.

The trigger pull is heavy but smooth and crisp. I've shot it in the single action mode but actually prefer the double action. Probably a byproduct of owning three DAO revolvers.

I recommend it highly.
Old August 15, 2018, 06:03 AM   #12
NAW

The only gun on the market thats close to what your looking for is the ruger lcrx 3 in. The problem with that gun is that the single action trigger is still around 7 lbs. And the double action trigger is at 15 lbs. All 22lr double action revolvers have heavy triggers. I was looking for exactly what you were looking for and was unsatisfied with everything on the market. Mainly because of price and double action triggers over 10 lbs. I then settled with a Beretta 21a bobcat since its a double action 22lr with a ok single action trigger at a crisp 5 lbs . I love that gun. Its only 100% reliable with the magazine down loaded to five rounds though. Giving you 6 in total to play with.

Last edited by NAW; August 15, 2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old August 15, 2018, 12:20 PM   #13
Areoflyer09

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAW View Post
The only gun on the market thats close to what your looking for is the ruger lcrx 3 in. The problem with that gun is that the single action trigger is still around 7 lbs. And the double action trigger is at 15 lbs. All 22lr double action revolvers have heavy triggers. I was looking for exactly what you were looking for and was unsatisfied with everything on the market. Mainly because of price and double action triggers over 10 lbs. I then settled with a Beretta 21a bobcat since its a double action 22lr with a ok single action trigger at a crisp 5 lbs . I love that gun. Its only 100% reliable with the magazine down loaded to five rounds though. Giving you 6 in total to play with.
Slightly off topic, but I keep seeing people say that all 22LR revolvers have heavy double and single actions. Is that a new thing or is it just more common with the snubbies?

I have a Dan Wesson 22LR that matches my DW 357 at 8lbs for the double action and 4lbs for the single action. The rental SW 617 at my LGS is relatively close in feel. I’ve shot a GP100 in 22LR and it was heavier, but not drastically. None of them had issues with firing a round that wasn’t ammo related. I’ve tried the rare issue round in my Rger MkIII and it wouldn’t set them off either.

Is just the more frequent use of the ones I’ve experienced that results in the lighter triggers?
Old August 16, 2018, 12:46 AM   #14
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
... people say that all 22LR revolvers have heavy double and single actions. Is that a new thing or is it just more common with the snubbies?
No. It seems to be a common feature of rimfire revolvers (.22 LR and .22 WMR) versus their centerfire counterparts. I think rimfire needs to be hit a little harder than the primers on centerfire ammo.

Quote:
I do have an LCRX in .327 and now I need something to practice my double action trigger work that takes relatively cheaper ammo. I know it won't be exactly apples to apples, but it'll be close enough.
Given that the trigger is a little heavier, this ought to be like training at high altitude. After spending a lot of time with the 22 model, I'll be curious to hear how good the .327 feels.
Old August 16, 2018, 03:12 PM   #15
reteach

Quote:
Given that the trigger is a little heavier, this ought to be like training at high altitude. After spending a lot of time with the 22 model, I'll be curious to hear how good the .327 feels.
Funny you should ask that today. I bought the LCRX .22 LR last week. Took the new .22 and the .327 to the range. Not "a lot of time" with the .22, just a new gun outing, trying different kinds of ammo and, of course, testing the trigger. I dry fired the two at home, side by side, and thought that the .22 might be a bit of a challenge at the range. But when actually shooting it, I noticed the difference but not as much as when dry firing. Maybe it's just that there are other things to think about when you're shooting. When I switched to the .327 [with .32 S&W Long ammo, so very little recoil] I did not have to make any adjustment in grip or such. I did find the .327 easier to shoot accurately, but that didn't surprise me. So not quite like training at high altitude, but there is a difference. The main advantage with the .22 will be inexpensive ammo, so more time on the range. I'll try to remember to check back in when I've had the .22 for a while longer.

To answer the OP, yes, it's worth the money. I enjoyed shooting it and am pleased with the purchase.

I should add that I put Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips on my .327, so the grips on the two guns are closer in size than with the factory grips.

Last edited by reteach; August 16, 2018 at 03:16 PM. Reason: added info
Old August 21, 2018, 08:25 PM   #16
Agustus

I also have the LCRx in 22. I use mine for carrying in my pack when on the tractor or stomping around in a simply rugged pancake holster. Mine is very accurate for what it is. It in no way has the accuracy of my 617 SW or my model 41 but it’s not intended to be either. Where it excels is carrying.

It’s a nice little 22 and is a perfect companion when on the trails or as a companion when archery hunting. Someday I’ll smack a coyote with it in archery season.
Old September 11, 2018, 06:01 PM   #17
jsust

I dont have experiance with the lcr but I do have a s&w 617 and I will say its a beautiful revolver. It has a grrat trigger that is comparable to my other smith revolvers. Its a little more then the ruger but I stand by my decision
Old September 11, 2018, 06:58 PM   #18
JERRYS.

id love to find a 2" or 3" .327 LCR.
Old September 14, 2018, 12:00 PM   #19
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
id love to find a 2" or 3" .327 LCR
It doesn't look like they've got a 3" version of the magnum frame yet. The .22 LR, .22 WMR, and .38 special models all use a lighter and slightly smaller frame. The 3" models on the market now are all based on the light frame adapted to a longer barrel. The .357 magnum, .327 Federal, and 9mm models use a heavier frame. If they decide to adapt the magnum frame for three inches, I think they'll have a hot seller.

Some people speculate that they haven't because it would be too much competition with their SP101. I don't how accurate that is. People said the same thing about the first LCRX. I think it is just a matter of time. I've watched the LCR grow from its humble beginnings and it is evolving at a reasonable pace.

In contrast, the SP101 looks more like a dinosaur to me every day. It's an okay firearm that really could benefit from some technological enhancement. The LCR has an excellent trigger right out of the box but both the GP100 and SP101 are... considerably less good. The only major "development" I can see with the SP101 is that it feels more cheaply made than it used to be. Comparing a new SP101 with one that's 15-20 years old, the old one just seems nicer. The trigger is a heck of a lot better, and more than I'm willing to grant for just being well-broken in. The new one's trigger isn't just rougher, clunkier, and apparently heavier; it also has more wiggle in both the trigger and the hammer. Yeah, maybe I just have a particularly good old one and a particularly bad new one. Maybe Ruger should just quietly improve their old SP101 line while simultaneously continuing the development of their excellent LCR line.
Old September 14, 2018, 01:03 PM   #20
9x19

I added a LCRX 3" in .22WMR to the stable today, stiff double action (compared to my .38 version), but a very good single action pull, nice and crisp. Should get some range time with it next week.
Old September 14, 2018, 11:12 PM   #21
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
I added a LCRX 3" in .22WMR to the stable today, stiff double action (compared to my .38 version), but a very good single action pull, nice and crisp. Should get some range time with it next week.
I've got mine dialed in pretty we. 1"- 2" groups at 15 yards. Quite aittle shooter!
Old September 15, 2018, 06:53 AM   #22
9x19

Is that with a 40 grain bullet, or one of the other weights?

I've been quite pleased with the .22LR and .38 versions, so I'm expecting to be happy with this one as well.
Old September 15, 2018, 08:59 AM   #23
WheelGunMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9x19 View Post
Is that with a 40 grain bullet, or one of the other weights?

I've been quite pleased with the .22LR and .38 versions, so I'm expecting to be happy with this one as well.
Yes, that was with CCI 40 grain.
Old September 15, 2018, 10:25 AM   #24
Cosmodragoon

I always wished that Ruger had released the original lighter-framed LCR and/or the newish 3" LCRX in .32 H&R Magnum. It would have been preferable as a six-gun to .22 WMR, with reliable center-fire ammo and no increase in trigger pull. Sadly, the sun has set on .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal probably put the last nails in its coffin. Sure, the .327 guns can fire it. It's just that .327 guns require more structural support due to the high pressure so you can't quite make them as small or light.

So I'll just be waiting to see if Ruger gives us a magnum-framed 3" LCRX, preferably in .327 Federal.
Old September 15, 2018, 05:57 PM   #25
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmodragoon View Post
I always wished that Ruger had released the original lighter-framed LCR and/or the newish 3" LCRX in .32 H&R Magnum. It would have been preferable as a six-gun to .22 WMR, with reliable center-fire ammo and no increase in trigger pull. Sadly, the sun has set on .32 H&R Magnum and .327 Federal probably put the last nails in its coffin. Sure, the .327 guns can fire it. It's just that .327 guns require more structural support due to the high pressure so you can't quite make them as small or light.

So I'll just be waiting to see if Ruger gives us a magnum-framed 3" LCRX, preferably in .327 Federal.
A .32 H&R on the aluminum LCR frame? That would probably be just as light as the .38 is, but we're talking a few ounces lighter compared to the .327 and .357 LCR's. Ruger would never make it and I'm not sure I'd buy it.

Although it makes sense as I feel .32 H&R is a fine self defense ammo as long as it's loaded to its max levels and not downloaded like it has suffered from since the 80s.

Gotta love Federal ammo. Sure, they can make good hollow points, but give them an uncommon cartridge like .32 H&R or 10mm and they load them to .32 or .40 S&W levels.

Dunno what Ruger is going to do to continue to add on to the LCR, I think a 3 inch .357 and .327 make sense. I would love to see 5 or 6 inch barrels for better velocity, but I feel they would be unbalanced with the plastic grip and all the steel out front. So, I guess the 3 inch steel frames are all that's left for Ruger to make.

Last edited by TruthTellers; September 15, 2018 at 06:07 PM.