The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 31, 2018, 05:35 PM   #1
JACKlangrishe

Muzzleloader BAN ?!

I can't even believe this is a thing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKPObRSU5w4

You know.. I always told myself, hey.. even if they banned it all, at least I could defend myself with black powder.

Thomas Jefferson must be spinning in his grave.
Old May 31, 2018, 06:24 PM   #2
Mike38

The reasoning? A black powder silencer. I know little to nothing about silencers, but isn't it impossible to pour black powder or pyrodex down the muzzle with a silencer in place? Aren't there baffles that would / could trap most of the powder? That would create a bomb on the end of the barrel. Maybe it's a quick detach unit of some kind?
Old May 31, 2018, 06:36 PM   #3
JACKlangrishe

They focus on the silencer/suppressor for part of it in the interview, but one of the major motivations in the text is that they're unregulated, no FFL needed, etc..
Old May 31, 2018, 06:55 PM   #4
cslinger

It may be quieter but just look for the smoke signal that say hey I’m over here.
Old May 31, 2018, 07:12 PM   #5
xandi

Wouldn’t the suppresser be regulated still? I didn’t think they gave them a free pass just cause the hole is bigger.
Old May 31, 2018, 07:21 PM   #6
Rangerrich99

The silencer for these muzzleloaders is integral; in other words, it is a part of the rifle. It can't be removed. At least in the one I saw online not long ago. Also, they have a pic of the offensive muzzleloader on the Giffords website. it's a pretty funny read, actually.
Old June 1, 2018, 12:30 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38
isn't it impossible to pour black powder or pyrodex down the muzzle with a silencer in place?
Long funnel neck.
Old June 1, 2018, 12:34 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

"Once this new muzzle is created, ..."

Poster child for what Tucker was talking about as the segment began: People who know nothing about firearms trying to regulate ban them.
Old June 1, 2018, 12:36 AM   #9
FrankenMauser

Yep. Basically a funnel.

The rifle ships with a "loading tube" that slips inside the suppressor and allows loading without fouling the baffles.
It is also required that no wadding, patching, sabots, or loose powder be used. Only "solid" powders (pellets) and bullets with affixed gas seals (such as "Power Belt" bullets) are to be loaded.
Old June 1, 2018, 07:41 PM   #10
gwpercle

The criminals are not going to rush out and start using a black powder muzzle loaders in their drive by shootings or armed robberies, silencer or not ....there is just not enough firepower. When's the last time the good guys had to shoot it out with a gang armed with muzzle loaders..... early 1800's maybe...Right !
That's just plain stupid.
Old June 1, 2018, 08:06 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The obvious counter-argument is the First Amendment, and freedom of the press. The authors of the Bill of Rights didn't foresee ball point pens, gel pens, computer word processors, laser printers and computer typesetting, radio, television, tablet computers, smart phones, Twitter, Facebook, digital cameras...

So, members of the media -- GIVE THEM ALL UP. Go back to writing your stories on parchment with quill pens. Images must be hand-etched on copper plates. Newspapers then have to be set in linotype by type monkeys, to be printed by manually-powered printing presses. The newspapers must then be distributed in horse-drawn wagons.

No other media forms are protected by the First Amendment, since the authors of the Bill of Rights didn't have them in mind when they wrote it.

What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
Old June 1, 2018, 09:23 PM   #12
Rob228

The argument that the gentlemen kept trying to make about "if the DC sniper had been using this..."

I'm trying to imagine a guy with 4 feet of weapon hiding in the trunk of a car waiting to take a shot. Followed by the same guy passing out from smoke inhalation after pulling the trigger.
Old June 1, 2018, 10:53 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

^^^

"Hey, I wonder if the shot could have come from that white car across the street - the one hidden by that cloud of smoke."
Old June 2, 2018, 07:11 AM   #14
MTT TL

Quote:
The argument that the gentlemen kept trying to make about "if the DC sniper had been using this..."
Wow, what a complete moron.

How is he going to reload a four foot long black powder rifle in the trunk of a car?

Not only that but I seem to recall pretty clearly that the police were absolutely clueless about the suspects (supposed to be a white middle aged man), the vehicle (looking for a white van), the weapon (a sniper rifle) even though the suspects were calling them constantly trying to get them to pay a blackmail. The noise of the weapon had a sum total of zero effect on the case.
Old June 2, 2018, 11:45 PM   #15
Rob228

The car was the suppressor in that situation. Time to put $200 tax stamps and year long waits on vehicles.
Old June 3, 2018, 06:03 AM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

I think I'd seen this clip before. Points that I find interesting and completely unsurprising are that the antigun guy:
1. Weems to think that calibers smaller than .50 won't kill people. He keeps saying "with a .50 caliber bullet, it only takes one shot."
2. Does not want to talk about the ban proposal in specifics. He keeps spouting his supporting statistics ("4% of the population, but half of the guns . . . "), but will not acknowledge any specifics about "muzzle-loader violence" in years past.
Old June 3, 2018, 07:39 AM   #17
MTT TL

4% of the population with 50% of the guns sounds a lot better than 1% of the population with 90% of the wealth. Gun owners are downright egalitarian.