The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 12, 2018, 07:15 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

10/22 makeover

I'm wanting to upgrade my Ruger with some various accessories, big and small. I am not wanting a competition or bench style rifle per se, just something that is more accurate than the standard setup I currently have. An accurate plinker. Ideally, I'd like half inch groups or better @ 50 yards with good ammo, and "decent" groups (less than 1 inch) with bulk. Here are my current ideas:

Stock:

I already got a Hogue Overmold in bull style. I know there are other stocks that are more rigid, but I like the simplicity and grip of the o.m.

Barrel:

I've been thinking hard on either a Kidd or Feddersen, possibly a Green Mountain as a third option. I know, buy once cry once. I am mostly looking at the 18's without fluting.

Trigger:

The affordable Ruger BX system or perhaps a Kidd trigger job kit. Not really needing the 200+ of a Timney or Volquartsen.

Optic:

Leaning towards either a Vortex Diamondback 2-7X35 in V plex or maybe the Nikon P-tactical series or the new P3 EFR. I would like to look at the glass firsthand, but I may just buy one unseen if I find a good deal during Black Friday.

If you all have other suggestions please share. I know that Rimfire Central is also a very good resource but I wanted to run this by you peeps as well.

Thanks.
Old November 12, 2018, 09:11 PM   #2
berettaprofessor

I had a Green Mountain in a Hogue bull stock with a volquartsen trigger. Sorry to rain on your parade, but won’t do 1/2” at 50 Not in my hands anyway.

Does the Hogue Stock for a rigid ambi target stock....I think it was a tactical solutions stock? Anyway, it will do 1/2” at 50 now.
Old November 12, 2018, 11:19 PM   #3
mehavey

Likely nothing wrong with the current barrel, so before replacing . . .

See
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...69&postcount=5
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=10
Old November 13, 2018, 06:30 AM   #4
jpx2rk

Buddy of mine built a 10/22 with a Feddersen barrel, will shoot playing cards in half but he has a high $$ scope on it. I built 2 based on his, both shoot < 1/2 moa during the break in period (old & cheap ammo).
Old November 13, 2018, 12:58 PM   #5
pblanc

How does your 10/22 shoot now? From what I have experienced and read, stock 10/22s vary considerably in accuracy. There are exceptions, but not many are likely to be 1 MOA rifles with stock barrels.

If your rifle is close to the accuracy you desire, you might consider sending in the barreled action to Randy at CPC:

http://www.ct-precision.com/

He will rework the chamber and bolt face, crown the barrel and radius the sharp corners of the bolt. He also does trigger jobs if you want. His work is very well-regarded over at Rimfire Central, as you probably know, and most have reported a significant increase in accuracy of their stock barrels and bolts after his work.

You might also consider a trigger job by Brimstone Gunsmithing. I have had both their Tier 3 and Tier 2 trigger jobs done and both are very good. Turn-around is less than 2 weeks. The Tier 2 trigger job is maybe not quite as nice as a Kidd single-stage drop-in trigger unit, but it costs less than half as much.

http://brimstonegunsmithing.com/
Old November 20, 2018, 12:09 PM   #6
TrueBlue711

I also have a Green Mountain bull barrel. As mentioned before, you probably won't be shooting cards in half, but it I would call it good enough. Mine is just a fun inexpensive plinking gun that makes spent shotgun shells dance like crazy at 25-50 yds.

I also put the Ruger BX trigger in mine and love it. It's no Volquartsen, but it's miles better than the stock trigger and only for $50.

Another small upgrade many don't think about is the recoil buffer inside. The factory one is metal. Replace it with a silicon one and it'll reduce the noise and will be easier on your bolt's life span. Here's a link to a 3pack on MidwayUSA, but will be cheaper if you find it as a single unit.

If you find the bolt release a pain in the butt, you can replace it for about $15 which will make releasing the bolt simply pulling back on the charging handle and letting go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1022.jpg (41.3 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by TrueBlue711; November 20, 2018 at 12:17 PM.