The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 2, 2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Micro man

AR drop in triggers

A few years ago I purchased a separate upper,lower, and BCG from PSA to make my first AR15. I never liked the trigger that came with it and want to do an up grade. I mainly use the gun for punching holes in paper at the 100 yard range.

I have read some about drop in triggers available for this platform and wanted to get input from members before making the leap. Thanks for your time.
Old November 2, 2018, 09:32 AM   #2
TrueBlue711

There are a LOT of trigger replacements to choose from. When you say "drop in trigger", are you wanting a trigger where it's already one piece? Or are you looking at any trigger replacement. Also, what's your budget? That'll help narrow down what you're looking for.

There's a big discussion about single stage vs two stage triggers. Everybody has their personal preference. Personally, I prefer two stage triggers, but two of my ARs have single stages too. The only true "drop in" trigger I have is made by Velocity and it went for about $150. But compared to a Timney drop in trigger, that's cheap. Timney probably makes the best drop in trigger, but you're paying for it. But I'm very happy with the Velocity.

I would look at non-"drop in" triggers. They're super easy to install. My favorite triggers are made by Geissele, but their cheapest trigger is ~$125. If you're looking just for something that's a step better than the stock trigger you have and won't break the bank by any means, ALG makes a pretty good single stage trigger for about $50. I have one in my home defense AR and it's much better than most stock triggers. Honestly, their trigger should be the stock trigger in every AR and then upgrade from there.

Last edited by TrueBlue711; November 2, 2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old November 2, 2018, 09:56 AM   #3
pblanc

I have had good luck with a CMC AR15 single-stage trigger:

http://www.impactguns.com/ar-15-part...4004022-91503/
Old November 2, 2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Micro man

I am not too savvy as far as replacing parts on the AR so I thought a drop in trigger would be easier . As far as single vs 2 stage I don't have a great preference one way or another. I figure I can spend up to $150 before I hear about it from the Mrs.
Old November 2, 2018, 10:59 AM   #5
pblanc

Mil-spec AR triggers are not difficult to remove and install. There are a number of youtube videos that can help. Just be sure not to get the hammer spring installed backwards.
Old November 2, 2018, 12:56 PM   #6
Willie Lowman

Get a Geissele. They are worth every penny. The installation only takes a few minutes. Not a drop in but they are the best IMO
Old November 2, 2018, 02:50 PM   #7
Sharkbite

Single vs 2 stage....

I like single stage (POF is my choice) for fast shooting.
I like 2 stage (RRA is my choice here) for precise/long range type shooting.
Old November 2, 2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Dusty Rivers

LaRue MBT. Two stage trigger that's hard to beat on price and quality, especially when on sale for $

title says it all. This is a great trigger upgrade! Can be had for $99 when on sale direct from LaRue
Old November 2, 2018, 04:09 PM   #9
Nathan

Quote:
Get a Geissele. They are worth every penny. The installation only takes a few minutes. Not a drop in but they are the best IMO
Why? Sell me, I’m all ears and my wallet is open.

I like the RA140 for about 90% of AR projects I hear about. I like Triggertech adjustable when thinking top end accuracy. I’ll bet that Larue is a great 80%’r too!

Tell me why I like the ones I recommend. It is simple.
Old November 2, 2018, 04:37 PM   #10
Rangerrich99

You don't state your budget, so these may be out of your range, however . . .

Of the drop-in (cassette-type) triggers I like both the CMC (about $150) and the Elftmann (about $190). I agree with you, cassette-type triggers are much easier to install. Not that traditional trigger are really difficult (I've got two Geisseles), but simply being able to drop the cassette in and push a couple pins through the appropriate holes is pretty nice.

Between the CMC and the Elftmann I think the Elf is better. It's significantly smoother and breaks more crisply. And the CMC is a nice trigger, far better than mil-spec.

You don't really state your intended purpose, so these triggers might be more than what you need, but they are both very good cassette triggers.

Good luck.
Old November 2, 2018, 04:41 PM   #11
TruthTellers

Depends on what stage you want, single or two stage. Two stage triggers I've yet to find any under $100, but single stage you can get as low as $20.

I've seen Midway sell an "enhanced" single stage trigger for $35 when on sale.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/40...4-single-stage

The cheapest two stage trigger I've seen that others here and elsewhere have said is good is the Ruger MSR 452. I like that it comes with a grip, that alone is worth $14 to me.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...prod78719.aspx
Old November 2, 2018, 05:28 PM   #12
Nathan

RA140 $85

Not a bad price.
Old November 2, 2018, 05:36 PM   #13
rickyrick

I liked the POF trigger. But that’s the only drop-in Trigger I have.

I like my G2s from Geiselle the best, or however it’s spelt
Old November 2, 2018, 05:49 PM   #14
DubC-Hicks

The Rise armament RA-434 is probably my favorite drop in trigger under $150. Super crisp, great reset. Love the profile of the trigger as well. POF is a close second. Both are single stage.

If you like two stage, I'll recommend the Geissele G2S or Larue MBT.
Old November 2, 2018, 08:47 PM   #15
ed308

I'm starting to feel like a broken record, since this question is asked almost weekly. LaRue's MBT is my recommendation for a great/inexpensive trigger. $87. Say you like Geissele? Try one. As good as their cheaper triggers and almost as good as their top of the line IMO. Great trigger for the price.
Old November 2, 2018, 08:50 PM   #16
berettaprofessor

LaRue. $87. Great.
Old November 2, 2018, 09:15 PM   #17
ms6852

I put a Timney trigger on my AR. Pretty simple take out the trigger pin, remove old trigger, put new Timmney trigger in replace pin and tighten the two screws. Comes with instruction and within your budget.
Old November 2, 2018, 11:34 PM   #18
TruthTellers

^ I have a Timney as well. Got it for a good sale price and compared to the CMC, which is made from sheet metal, I feel is a higher quality trigger.

Not knocking the CMC, but for $30 more I'd rather have a drop in trigger made on a milling machine, not a press brake.
Old November 3, 2018, 01:36 AM   #19
50 shooter

Like a couple of others here, I picked up a Rise Armament trigger for my latest AR build. Have to say that I dont think I'll ever waste my time installing another standard AR trigger group again.

The RA triggers are very nice and come with a price that makes them worth using. Oh, dont forget to buy a set of anti walk pins as the standard trigger/sear pins won't work.

I'm sure you could probably Google drop in triggers and see if anyone has done a side by side comparison of all of them. I would like to see how RA ranked compared to the other ones.
No time for rearranging.
Old November 3, 2018, 02:46 AM   #20
rickyrick

The only basic trigger I still have is a plain ole cmmg. It’s in a neat little budget carbine that I tossed together. I’m leaving that trigger alone.

But yeah, I’ll never put a regular trigger into another.
Old November 3, 2018, 08:32 AM   #21
rebs

Geissele is the best there is and you can find one in your price range
Old November 3, 2018, 08:41 AM   #22
O4L

Optics Planet has a deal on this Rise Armament drop in trigger that comes with anti walk pins, free extended latch charging handle and free shipping.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/rise-ar...e-trigger.html

Scroll down to see 25% off code.
Old November 3, 2018, 07:38 PM   #23
Arub

I performed trigger transplants to the RISE RA140s in both a S&W and an Anderson AR. No issues. No creep, breaks clean, attractive price.
Old November 3, 2018, 09:54 PM   #24
Nathan

Can somebody tell me what characteristics put Geisselle in this conversation? Why would I want one over the Larue, RA or Triggertech? or Timney?
Old November 4, 2018, 08:59 AM   #25
kymasabe

I'm a fan of Hiperfire EDT triggers, am running an SS in one gun and an HG in another. They go together like mil-spec triggers so all the parts look familiar. Not quite as nice as a Geisselle, but are just under $100.