The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 18, 2017, 11:40 PM   #1
Prof Young

Like turret press so far . . .

Loaders:

First, thanks to one an all for the responses to my post about wanting to speed up production. Lots of helpful info there.

I went ahead and got a Lee Turret press. I've done about fifty 9mm and am liking it so far.

I know it's the same number of "pulls" per cartridge, but not having to remove and insert the brass for each step or change the dies, as in a single stage press, is going to save a lot of time and truly speed things up.

Previously I could only do batches of 100 as that was all the space I had in my reloading trays. Now it's do as many as I want because each bullet is a started and finished in "one operation." Also I like being able to walk away from the table and not leave any cases with powder loads in them sitting out.

I guess the next step is to investigate a powder dispenser that works with the turret press . . . they make that . . . right?

Lots to learn. Thanks to all.

Life is good
Prof Young
Old July 19, 2017, 12:43 AM   #2
DaleA

Good for you.

I sometimes think I would not have gotten a progressive press if I would have taken a good look at what turret presses had to offer.
Old July 19, 2017, 01:08 AM   #3
eldos1

I loaded with a Lee turret for many years and made very good ammo with it before I went to a Hornady progressive. The Lee powder measures always would leak powder on me and were not near as contestant it charge to charge weight. The RCBS uniflow or Hornady powder measure will give you much better performance and have options to work on the press in one of your die stations.
Old July 19, 2017, 03:34 AM   #4
kmw1954

Prof Young, good for you and I'm glad you are enjoying it! It is a nice way to go when doing pistol.

I have an older model 3 hole turret with auto index and a Pro 1000 progressive and I use them both right now for 380acp, 9mm and 38/357. May add a 10mm or 45acp if I find a pistol that I like. Just finished 250 9mm tonight.

I have both a Lee Auto Disk measure and a Lee Auto Drum measure and use them both on the press with the powder thru dies. The Auto Disk measure I've worked over and polished it up and now with HP-38 I get very little leakage. I've spilled more than what has leaked. The Auto Drum was leaking so I sent it back on warranty. Got it back and it now leaks very little also.

The one load I'm using right now is 4.5gr of HP-38 and with the Auto Disk using the #.43 cavity I get a very consistent 4.5 gr throw. On my scale it is well within + - .05gr of 4.5gr.

Problem comes in that one cavity down puts me at the low starting level and one cavity up puts me just over max with the HP-38.. So it does limit the range but this load performs very well in my guns.
Old July 19, 2017, 03:54 AM   #5
TruthTellers

I'm not trying to bash eldos1 here, but he complains about the Lee power measures leaking powder back when he was using them. That was with old technology. Today, Lee makes the Auto Drum measure and from an overwhelming majority, the reception has been very positive.

OP, do not hesitate on getting a Lee Auto Drum.

As for powder measure, you have to buy a Lee Riser (may also be called Lee Auto Disk Riser) to use on the Lee turret press. Not using it does not give enough clearance or something.
Old July 19, 2017, 04:55 AM   #6
TJB101

If you haven't already purchased the Lee safety primer do so. It is the best $20.00 I've spent in a while and has sped up the priming aspect of my reloading on my single stage press. They work on turret press as well.
Old July 19, 2017, 05:48 AM   #7
Russell P

I have the Lee Auto Drum powder measure and it is very consistent. I almost always stay within .1 grain. Rare occasion .2 grains.

The Auto Drum also does rifle loads that the disc measure cannot do.

My drum leaks a little sometimes. No big deal.

Russ P
Old July 19, 2017, 06:41 AM   #8
Don P

Prof young, this works very well. I had one on every turret I had which at the time was 5.
http://leeprecision.com/auto-disk-powder-measure.html
and you will need this,
http://leeprecision.com/auto-disk-riser.html
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 19, 2017, 06:28 PM   #9
jetinteriorguy

Get the Auto Drum, I have had great results with mine and have replaceable drums preset for all my loads. If your using the safety prime you'll need the riser for the Auto Drum, I prime off the press so it's not necessary then. I just got some more of the drums yesterday and I see that Lee is now lapping/grinding them for a much better fit to help eliminate any leakage. Personally, the only powder I've used that leaked were Accurate #5, and #9. But those two are such super fine powders it's like trying to meter dust.
Old July 19, 2017, 06:53 PM   #10
flashhole

Another vote for the Auto Drum. Very consistent charges and mine don't leak with the powders I use.

You might also consider this if you want to load rifle.

https://fsreloading.com/lee-precisio...kit-90995.html

Are you ready for civil war?
Old July 19, 2017, 08:13 PM   #11
berettaprofessor

Vote here for the Lee Pro Auto Disk. Very consistent for me, easy changes to charge. And second what TJB101 said about the safety prime. Really speeds things up.
Old July 20, 2017, 03:10 AM   #12
JeepHammer

Don't get stuck on Lee powder thrower, there are MUCH better units out there...
Same with priming machines.

I always found it faster & less aggravation to hand prime (squeeze handle type) and drop primed cases in the loading block for powder than trying to get the Lee primer arm loaded on the turret press.
Hope Lee has a better way of doing things now than the 'T' shaped gadget from 25 years ago when I got mine!
Old July 20, 2017, 05:31 AM   #13
mikejonestkd

Another lee classic turret owner here, I think its one of the best bang for the buck presses out there.
The primer feeder looks odd, but works like a charm. The pro auto disk dispenser works well, and the auto drum is even better.
I have well over 40,000 rounds though my LCT and I have yet to have a single issue with it.
I regularly get about 180-200 rounds of pistol ammo per hour without really pushing it, and it turns out quality ammo.
I hope you enjoy it, its a nice press!
Old July 20, 2017, 06:29 AM   #14
std7mag

I load everything from 9mm to 7mm Rem Mag with mine.

I got the updated auto disc for mine. I like the adjustable disc for doing pistol.
Old July 20, 2017, 07:04 AM   #15
rob-c

I have turret plates for each caliber I load (380,38,357,44) and I use the pro auto disc powder dispenser with the riser tube. (out of the 4 I have never had them leak) I also use the safety prime that once you get a handle on how to use it is very smooth and a quick way to prime. when i get a groove going I can load a lot of ammo in a short period of time, set your work station up so when your running the press with your one hand you can grab your case and or projectile with your other,so every time you index the press your grabbing your projectile /case to load in to the press . no wasted movement. a lot of guys bust on the lee products but I can honestly say for the price I have never had a problem with there stuff.

Last edited by rob-c; July 20, 2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old July 20, 2017, 10:04 PM   #16
Prof Young

Thanks for all the info. In my first session I did 287 9mm and stopped there only cause I ran our of clean brass.

I think I'll give the Lee auto drum a go. Watched a Youtube video on it and most of the reviews are good. So . . ..

Life is good.
Old July 20, 2017, 10:16 PM   #17
THEWELSHM

Good one mate, I have yet to try mine. Maybe this weekend?

thewelshm
Old July 20, 2017, 10:23 PM   #18
F. Guffey

Quote:
Like turret press so far . . .
I have a 6 position turret press, in the beginning I thought it was the only press to have when forming cases. If for some reason a case got messed up it was a matter of keeping the dies mounted in the turret, loosed the turret and then back it up. After that I purchases the 5 position Piggy Back 11 but I kept the 6 position Herter turret. After the progressive I purchased a Herter two ram, I thought that press was another great press for forming and sizing.

F. Guffey
Old July 21, 2017, 06:07 AM   #19
flashhole

Prof - I think you will be very happy with the Auto Drum. I have two. My Redding BR3 has been relegated to a bench ornament.

Old July 21, 2017, 06:15 AM   #20
Hammerhead

Congrats Prof Young. Enjoy.
Old July 21, 2017, 09:15 AM   #21
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof Young View Post
Loaders:

First, thanks to one an all for the responses to my post about wanting to speed up production. Lots of helpful info there.

I went ahead and got a Lee Turret press. I've done about fifty 9mm and am liking it so far.

I know it's the same number of "pulls" per cartridge, but not having to remove and insert the brass for each step or change the dies, as in a single stage press, is going to save a lot of time and truly speed things up.

Previously I could only do batches of 100 as that was all the space I had in my reloading trays. Now it's do as many as I want because each bullet is a started and finished in "one operation." Also I like being able to walk away from the table and not leave any cases with powder loads in them sitting out.

I guess the next step is to investigate a powder dispenser that works with the turret press . . . they make that . . . right?

Lots to learn. Thanks to all.

Life is good
Prof Young
Lee Pro Autodisk, or Autodrum. Don't even bother with the older non-Pro Autodisk. You'll also need Lee's riser. If you get the Autodrum you'll probably want to get more of the metering rotors.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old July 21, 2017, 09:28 AM   #22
kmw1954

Don't bother with the Older Auto Disk?

Does that mean I should take the 2 I have and use consistently and throw them away? I thought that they worked quite well myself.
Old July 21, 2017, 10:49 AM   #23
lamarw

A good source is Amazon particularly if you already have Amazon Prime. Delivery is usually within two days and free shipping. I would also recommend one of the very small gooseneck table/reading lamps from Amazon to observe powder dispensing. You don't want to miss filling your brass with powder and having a squib.
Old July 21, 2017, 03:00 PM   #24
flashhole

Take a close look at this supplier. Been doing business with them for lots of years. Always satisfied and really good pricing.

https://fsreloading.com/