The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 23, 2017, 02:20 PM   #26
makarov

I have been really happy with my LCP II. So far no failures of any kind and the trigger is actually very good. Mine was $249 locally so no shipping or FFL fees. I have 9mm's too, but sometimes smaller is better...
Old July 25, 2017, 11:14 AM   #27
Carl the Floor Walker

Sportsmens guide has the 738 on sale with free shipping for $159. Cheaper if you are a member.
Old July 25, 2017, 11:45 AM   #28
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The original LCP is a fantastic gun and all you need from a pocket pistol.
No Custom, no II, "Improvements" that were unnecessary just to appease the marketing department. Be it BUG, or EDC, a pocket pistol is not a target gun, competition gun, or meant for precision shooting. They don't need "good" sights, or tricked out triggers. But marketing has to comply with potential customers that have that misconception.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 25, 2017, 04:48 PM   #29
Carl the Floor Walker

Actually they can be a competition gun, a group of guys where I live have gotten together over the years and compete. I started shooting the Pocket gun about a decade ago, and it was a challenge. I accepted that challenge and started diligent training. I wanted to be good with the gun I carry. I figured I need to trust the gun and myself. Over the years I shot a whole lot. Thousands of rounds. I have been point and shoot training for decades and I really hit it hard with the pocket guns.
Improvement over the years was drastically improved.I practiced drawing all the time. Something most people do not do. I use to believe the pocket pistol did not need good sights. Man that changed over the years. They do need good sights for sure. Especially Night sights. First of all even with point and shoot skills you need the peripheral vision of the sight, maybe not directly but you need it. At night you need a focal point. Not all shooting is don at three feet.
I also like a good sight, because with new ammo, I will target shoot the gun to see what is grouping well at given distances.
I owned 4 lcp's but moved on to better guns with much better quality and shooting ability. I do not need the high Five slap of recoil the LCP is so notorious for. I like mild shooting Pocket guns that have the ability to go the long run and not fall apart. No, I do not like short crisp light triggers on a pocket gun. A nice firm long but not overly long trigger is fantastic if you shoot a lot. You really get accustomed to it.
You goal should be to draw and hit center mass in three seconds or under. Get the best gun for the job and train often. Shooting the pocket guns are a Perishable skill.
I always hated the internet crap of "It is not a range gun". Well it should be. Ironically the pocket guns are some of the hardest to acquire good shooting skills and I would say the one that people train the least on. Dilligent, moderate and frequent practice. Dry fire training at home and drawing skills are a major part of the equation.
Buy your ammo in bulk or reload. Train often.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; July 26, 2017 at 07:27 AM.
Old July 25, 2017, 09:37 PM   #30
Cheapshooter

Not a range gun meaning not a pistol I am concerned about having pinpoint accuracy. My LCP does see plenty of range time. Partly to keep myself fresh with it. But mostly because I like shooting it. My basically unaltered early dash S/N Elsea Pea is plenty accurate at ten yards. Consistant center mass hits from start to finish. Just for grins I even do some two the the chest, one to the head practice. Again, very consistent accuracy through good old instinct shooting.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 30, 2017, 10:46 PM   #31
batmann

I got rid of a Kahr CW380 because if reliability issues and bought a Ruger LCP 'Custom' after the LCPII came out. I paid $230 out the door and it has been flawless after 150 rounds.
Old July 31, 2017, 10:22 AM   #32
railroader

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmann View Post
I got rid of a Kahr CW380 because if reliability issues and bought a Ruger LCP 'Custom' after the LCPII came out. I paid $230 out the door and it has been flawless after 150 rounds.
I have the custom too. It's a great little gun, very reliable. If I'm running out the door it's in my pocket.
Old August 2, 2017, 08:30 AM   #33
HistoryJunky

I prefer the LCP. I have the standard LCP. The trigger isn't that bad. I actually like it quite a bit. Recoil is a bit stout, but it's a 9 ounce pocket gun.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
Old January 6, 2018, 02:46 PM   #34
jbw9999

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...aurus-738-tcp/
Quote:
"My local range rents basically all of the .380 micro compact pistols on the market – Kahr, Diamondback, S&W, Kel-Tec, SIG, Ruger, AMT, Magnum Research, Colt, etc., etc. They’re popular rentals and popular sellers...they tell me the TCP is the most reliable pocket .380 in their rental case. Their renter has over 10,000 rounds through it with no breakages. None of the other contenders can claim that."
Old January 6, 2018, 06:35 PM   #35
GarandTd

Have you considered the Remington RM380. I took the plunge today. $229.99 - $100.00 rebate = $129.99+tax. I couldn't pass it up. If you are interested in it because of the rebate, better act fast. Today is the last day of the rebate.
Old January 6, 2018, 06:39 PM   #36
GarandTd

Just looked at the dates of this thread...wonder if the OP ever made a decision...
Old January 6, 2018, 07:02 PM   #37
lee n. field

Quote:
Which would you buy as a backup? I'm not a cop,just a reg. dude.
I LOVE saving money!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Neither?

I'd rather have the original LCP, or the "Custom" version (real sights from the factory).

I have an LCP, and concluded that it was a gun specialized for when nothing larger can be concealed. It's not at all fun to shoot. IMHO & YMMV.

I never found the trigger to be that obnoxious.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old January 29, 2018, 12:02 AM   #38
kymasabe

My daughter just bought a brand new TCP, cleaned it thoroughly, and it didn't even survive its first range trip. Is back at Taurus for repair, they tell us there's an 8 week minimum wait. In the mean time...my Remington RM380 performs flawlessly.
Old January 29, 2018, 09:25 AM   #39
peacefulgary

Quote:
Neither for me. I'd get a Gen 2 of the original LCP. Not a custom, but the one with a better trigger and slightly bigger built in sights. The trigger feels the same as the custom and they don't have the giant gaudy sights. Also, the original LCP has way more accessories available than the custom or the LCP II.
THIS! ^^^

Yep, the LCP generation 2 is fantastic. But add a Hogue Handall Hybrid LCP Grip.
The difference the Hogue makes is incredible!

https://www.hogueinc.com/handall-hyb...p-sleeve-black
Old January 29, 2018, 12:29 PM   #40
GarandTd

Quote:
...my Remington RM380 performs flawlessly.
This has been my experience thus far. To say I'm happy with this small pistol would be a gross understatement.
I'm only about 100 rounds in with it, but so far it has been great.
Old January 29, 2018, 06:04 PM   #41
GarandTd

Twice now this old thread has gotten me.
Old January 30, 2018, 05:33 AM   #42
tallball

FWIW, I had the Taurus and it functioned just fine. Its size and its length of trigger travel just did not work well with my enormous hands.

I ended up trading it in for the Kel-Tec P3AT, which works just fine for me. (The Rugers are copies of it.)

The Remington doesn't work for me, for the same reasons as the Taurus.

I tried a Beretta Pico the other day and it worked well for me. I don't really "need" it, but I might buy it anyway on my next trip to the LGS. It seemed like a well-made little pistol.
Old January 31, 2018, 10:10 PM   #43
1MoreFord

I'd get a LCP but I'd recommend the Custom version. I really like mine. Be sure to get the Hogue HandAll grip for it and I'd put a 13lb recoil spring in it too. Sure helped with the recoil of mine.