The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 25, 2021, 01:28 AM   #1
Linker

Lubing the M1

How often do you need to grease the M1?

I do not really know how to disassemble the rifle for this. Thought seriously about sending it off for greasing but figured you guys would be able to tell me. Or at least point me in right direction.
Old July 25, 2021, 06:37 AM   #2
BobCat45

You may find answers to all your Garand questions at https://thecmp.org/training-tech/armorers-corner/ - there is a link to "How To Detail Strip An M1 Garand " as well as one for Field Stripping.

I use Lubriplate 130 on the op rod / barrel interface, because I think that is what the CMP suggests, but take their word, not mine.

Best of luck and Have Fun! It is a marvelous rifle.
Old July 25, 2021, 08:38 AM   #3
RickB

Disassembly is pretty easy, but the whole point of specifying grease, is that it stays put, so you don't have to worry about run-off or evaporation.
The bolt lugs can be greased with the gun assembled, but you will have to remove the action from the stock to get at the op rod and spring.

I applied Mobil 1 grease, the last time I had my gun apart, but have taken it to the range only once, since.
Old July 27, 2021, 08:30 AM   #4
Logs

I use this stuff.

Old July 27, 2021, 01:45 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

You can get good information a number of places, but you should consider going to "the source"...

Get yourself a copy of the Army (or Marine or Navy) users manual for the M1. I prefer the actual book (which can be stored with the gun) but I'm sure they are online and downloadable somewhere.

Get the USER manual, not the shop/repair manual. The Army calls them "FM" (field manual) and they have the information on use, and user level maint.
(what to lube, with what, etc.) The shop manuals are called TMs (Technical Manuals) and usually do not have lubrication and user information in them.

Do a little looking and get the book that tells the GI how to load, shoot, field strip, clean and maintain and reassemble their individual rifle.

Don't get the FM that tells officers how to use troops armed with M1 rifles. While useful for learning tactics that one won't tell you how to clean and lube your rifle. Titles are similar, read descriptions closely.

Good info is also available many places online, including videos to watch, and lots of people here know the answers to any questions you might have, but beware of information overload,
Old July 27, 2021, 01:56 PM   #6
Bart B.

Surplus stores often have Plastilube in tiny yellow capped plastic tubes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mili...ksJisMSMww328M

Worked well across several Garands wearing out their barrels

Last edited by Bart B.; July 27, 2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old July 28, 2021, 06:44 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Moving to the rifles forum.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 28, 2021, 05:19 PM   #8
Reloadron

Like most I use Lubriplate or similar grease. How often really depends on use. If you aren't dragging the rifle through dirt, mud and snow I would not worry much about how often, but annually should more than suffice. Figure it this way when disassembly comes into play. A GI Private can do it so you can do it just following instructions in the GI Field Manual as was also covered. GI rifles are designed for ease of use like cleaning and disassembly. Also most of the old GI Specifications for stuff like lubricants, oil and grease, have long been super ceded by newer aerospace specs. Shoot it and enjoy it.

Ron
Old July 28, 2021, 10:09 PM   #9
hps1

The field manual you need is FM-5. Hopefully following link will work:

https://ia802700.us.archive.org/9/it...3-5/Fm23-5.pdf

Page 21 shows points requiring grease. Recommend shooting dry in freezing weather or very dusty/sandy atmosphere. Lubriplate is what we were issued in the day.

Lubrication points are usually pretty obvious, as indicated by wear on parkerizing. Grease the shiny spots. Enjoy your Garand.

Regards,
hps
Old July 29, 2021, 10:46 AM   #10
JustJake

Just don't over lube it. M1-newbies seem inclined to do that a lot.