The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 27, 2021, 07:26 PM   #51
chadio

Quote:
What firearm have you replaced as technology evolves?
None.

Yep....
Old July 27, 2021, 10:20 PM   #52
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Personally, I haven't seen anything created by modern technology that would induce me to replace any of my old technology wood and steel firearms, whether it's handguns or rifles we're talking about.
Jeepaholic
Old July 27, 2021, 11:11 PM   #53
shurshot

When a real working Lightsaber hits the market, I'll sell off my carry guns and just keep a couple plinkers for the range on those nostalgic days.

Lightsaber; I want three, a red, blue and green. Red for winter, green for spring, summer and fall and blue for nights out on the town and vacations.
Old July 28, 2021, 11:48 AM   #54
44 AMP
Staff

there's a lot to be said for the range capability of a blaster over a lightsaber..
Old July 28, 2021, 12:19 PM   #55
Carl the Floor Walker

Game Changers, Fads and Gimmicks. A whole lot of fake internet scare tactics etc. Marketing is just getting more creative all the time. And the internet crowd buy's into all of it. Preach something over and over until it becomes the truth. Personally, I will stick with a single stack or revolver.
Old July 31, 2021, 09:16 AM   #56
SR420

Guns replaced: None

Guns enhanced with new technology: Several
Old July 31, 2021, 04:06 PM   #57
FITASC

Replaced a G26 with the SIG P365
Replaced a Browning O/U with the Beretta DT-11 with removable trigger group
Replaced my Ruger MKII with a second S&W K-22 Masterpiece
(who says technology always has to go forward?)
Replaced my Mossberg 500 with a Ruger PCC in 9mm

Not that any of the replaced guns went away; they just don't get shot as much
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 1, 2021, 06:50 AM   #58
Geezerbiker

I suppose you could call the S&W Shield a new tech gun but when I bought mine, it fit a niche in my collection that wasn't filled by any gun I already had. I was looking for something small and concealable and the Shield seemed to check all the boxes for me. Also the only other gun in that size I wanted cost about 2x as much.

Tony
Old August 1, 2021, 08:17 PM   #59
JB in SC

Moved to stainless where feasible. Synthetic stocks, glass and Kevlar. But some classics just don’t translate well to modern materials.
Old August 1, 2021, 08:36 PM   #60
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Handgun technology hasn't really evolved at all in the last forty years or so, so this is kind of a moot question.
Old August 2, 2021, 12:58 PM   #61
44 AMP
Staff

Here's a question, is a change in materials used or the manufacturing process actually a change in technology? Or is it just an adaptation of the existing/previous technology??

Lets say I make a part out of steel, and later on someone figures out how an aluminium alloy can be used and the part will still do its job the same way, and later still someone else figures out how to use a plastic to do the same job, the same way, is that really an advancement in technology?

Or is it an advancement in materials technology, but not design techology?

If I use computer controlled machines to make it, replacing skilled workers doing it by hand, that's an advancement in manufacturing technology, but if I'm using that CNC to make the same product, a basic design that's been in use for well over a century (or longer??) is that an advancement in Firearms technology? I don't think so, not really.

And, are TINY changes in the details of how a mechanism works worthy of the term "advance in technology?" Every advertising guy seems to think so, but their job isn't to be accurate, its to sell a product.

And then, there's also the fact that some people see "an improvement" where others just see "a change".

One see this all the time these days, I do, virtually every time my computer upgrades itself. I see a change, but rarely an improvement, and sometimes things are worse for me after an "upgrade" than they were before.
Old August 2, 2021, 01:31 PM   #62
corneileous

I’ve never replaced a gun based on technological advances.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old August 2, 2021, 03:44 PM   #63
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Here's a question, is a change in materials used or the manufacturing process actually a change in technology?
I'd say it is, to an extent. But there hasn't really been any of that since the '70s. People act like polymer frames are radically new stuff, but the VP70 and Nylon 66 have been around forever. Even the Glock has gray in its beard.
Old August 2, 2021, 07:18 PM   #64
44 AMP
Staff

I have very little grey in my beard. Its nearly all white!

Remington introduced its "Zytel" Nylon in the early 60s. The VP 70's polymer was about a decade later. Glock and their formulation a bit more than a decade after that.

Has there been anything in the last 40 years or so that "takes us to the next level"?? I haven't seen it. Some things have taken us up a step or two, but there are still a lot of steps up before we get to the next level.

Where's my recoilless magnum that weighs nothing and holds 10,000 rds of ammo? Where's my jet pack? Where's my two week vacation on the Mars liner? Where's my damn flying car????

Want some amusement? watch an old show (like Disney) from the 50s and see where we were going to be in the 70s, 90s, and beyond, and see just how far we haven't come.....
Old August 2, 2021, 07:46 PM   #65
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Metallic cartridge firearms are a pretty mature technology. There hasn't been a really novel operating system since the Fifties or a really new material technology since the Eighties... Nineties if you want to count mass-produced titanium parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP
Want some amusement? watch an old show (like Disney) from the 50s and see where we were going to be in the 70s, 90s, and beyond, and see just how far we haven't come.....
I disagree. They imagined flying cars, but they still pictured computers as taking up whole rooms. Heck, half the electronic devices I considered essential when I first registered at this forum (Walkman/Discman, handheld GPS, portable video game system, pocket camera, video recorder, etc) have all been replaced by one supercomputer in my pocket that also makes phone calls!