The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

View Poll Results: The Optimum Sub Machine Gun?
Israeli Uzi 19 14.84%
HK MP5 81 63.28%
Steyr TMP 4 3.13%
Ingram MAC-10 5 3.91%
Calico 6 4.69%
Colt SMG 8 6.25%
Bizon 5 3.91%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8, 2005, 11:20 PM   #26
Handy

The Stoner isn't a submachinegun.
Old November 9, 2005, 12:57 AM   #27
model 25

Subguns are a personal taste. Rates of fire and accuracy along with weight of the gun will tell you what you like best for what you intend the subgun for.

At the bottom of the rates of fire is the Greasegun at 450 rounds per min. Shooting it you can count the rounds

At the top is the M11s and Mini uzis at around 1100rpm

I find that you should pick a rate of fire that matches your thinking speed and shooting skill then pick a gun that has the egronomics that you feel most comfortable with that has that rate of fire.

I have one but I wouldn't take it into a full blown battle as it is limited in distance. I have great fun shooting full auto matches though.

Old November 9, 2005, 06:44 AM   #28
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
The Optimum Sub Machine Gun?
Mine!

NRA Life Member
Old November 9, 2005, 10:00 AM   #29
GeorgeF

Go Suomi! Quick change barrel, milled steel construction, drum or stick magazines, very accurate and can use it as a very heavy club when you are tired of shooting.

THe Finns used it with great success against the Russkies.
Old November 9, 2005, 11:17 AM   #30
WillBrayjr

The only reason why any firearm could go 10,000rds and beyond with out cleaning is because the parts are loosely fitted. Take the AK-47 for example, it's parts are loosely fitted and the darn rifle keeps going. I tried on purpose to get it to jam and I couldn't. I threw heavy grease, tooth paste, mud, sand, and dirt into the reciever and still wouldn't jam. Simple design with loose fitted parts makes for a reliable firearm.
Old November 9, 2005, 12:03 PM   #31
too many choices!?

Loose parts move more, movement effects accuracy...

Everything's a trade-off
Old November 9, 2005, 12:13 PM   #32
guntotin_fool

Depends on the intended usage, for defensive EDC in modern urban environment, a Mini Uzi with a can. small, light, folded up and hanging from a shoulder strap it will hide under a well cut sport coat. I have not tried a HK PDW set up, but would rank it similar.

urban assault, police use, liability concerns, (that is, civilian injuries in a lawyer filled environment) the MP5 family. the trigger group and sights make it perhaps the most accurate Subgun ever.

third world conflict/insurgency etc full size UZI or sten. nothingelse comeclose in terms of simplicity and cost effectiveness. UZI's cost to the Israeli Gov't was something like $37 per. When it was a frontline arm, the savings over other options allowed Isreal to defend itself and not go broke. During WWII, Stens Mk 2 were made for about $9-11 each. and later marks cost slightly more as the design was refined. although some would disagree, with later magazine improvements, stens became quite reliable.
Old November 9, 2005, 02:04 PM   #33
stephen426

The only gun I have shot, out of those listed, is the H&K MP5. It is incredibly accurate for a full auto weapon and very easy to control. There is little to no muzzle rise and the gas operated rolling block system helps keep recoil very managable. I know it is just a 9mm but when you are talking about full auto, soft recoil keeps you from spraying lead all over the place. One other thing is the ergonomics are great and the compact size makes it very manuverable. The reliability, for the short time I got to shoot it, was perfect. I love the sights as well as the overall appearance of the gun. All in all, the MP5 is an awesome piece of machinery!
Old November 9, 2005, 02:08 PM   #34
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Loose parts move more, movement effects [sic] accuracy... "

Well, maybe, if we are talking about a fraction of MOA. But in the assault rifle and SMG context, loose parts have no real effect on accuracy. What matters is the barrel. If it is loose, accuracy goes to heck, but some slop in the bolt that doesn't affect headspace, or other loose parts will be of no import; in a military weapon (or a defense weapon) reliability is much more important than accuracy.

Jim
Old November 9, 2005, 07:23 PM   #35
Pezo

had you said MAC 11 I would have voted differently. I think the uzi. all versions of them, would be darn near close. At least on a reliability standard.
Old November 9, 2005, 08:08 PM   #36
MeekAndMild

I thought about this a long time before replying, British Soldier. I think that for military use the Thompson SMG or the .45 caliber version Uzi would be better but for civil defense purposes the original 9mm version UZI is better.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old November 9, 2005, 11:51 PM   #37
Stiletto

I voted Bizon. I'd have to do something about that grip, though.
Old November 18, 2005, 01:50 PM   #38
too many choices!?

Jim Keenan,

Thanx grammar and word usage police

My point still stands...

I will leave your run-on sentence alone
Old November 18, 2005, 02:13 PM   #39
DimitriS

Quote:
Well, maybe, if we are talking about a fraction of MOA. But in the assault rifle and SMG context, loose parts have no real effect on accuracy.
From what I hear about the groupings of a M-16A2 or M-16A4 without lose fitting parts they are hightly more accurate then a AK or SKS which have really lose fitting parts. So its not really a "fraction of a MOA".

A SMG in 45ACP would be the best choise. The grease gun is a good one.

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083
Old November 19, 2005, 09:20 PM   #40
Lord_Nikon

Eat me alive if you like...

I say H&K UMP .45
Old November 20, 2005, 06:54 AM   #41
The British Soldier

Great thoughts and comments.

We Brits had a panchant for side fed submachine guns for the reasons indicated [you can get lower than a snake's balls when you shoot it]; we now no longer have an SMG in general use.

Someone mentioned the Vz61 Skorpion - an interesting choice and I half agree with the reasoning; I find it one of the few weapons that showers you with brass! All those empties go up into the sky really impressively...and then come right back down on your head!

I think I didn't add the Beretta M12 because they are crap; I kind of added a list of weapons that I rate and that wasn't one of them. I think it uses very old engineering to achieve what it does.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old November 26, 2005, 10:50 AM   #42
model 25

I believe if I had to pick a subgun to fight with and could have any I would use a PPSH or a Yugo in 30 russian. 72 rnd drums and they run very well along with a rate of fire that would cover an area very effectively.

I have seen these guns win alot of matches and while I believe the newer models like the HK are very accurate and super reliable I just think with the 30 russian cal and drum the Yugo is better. Close range I want all the bullets I can.

Yes they make beta mags for H&K but you have to squirt stuff in them to make them run. Also the 72 rnd drums on the yugo are battle proven.

A friend has an L2A3 and for some reason I really like that gun. The rate of fire is too slow but damn it is accurate and handles very well.

I had to laugh really hard as he was using his L2A3 in a match and wasn't paying attention when shooting weak handed and got his thumb in the ejection port, seems to be easy to do with this gun.

Last edited by model 25; November 26, 2005 at 11:26 AM.
Old November 26, 2005, 05:20 PM   #43
A-Mac.50

HK all the way

Thats an easy choice which is the best, While the IMI uzis are classics and have been proven around the world for there reliability and ruggedness they do not take the trophy. Neither do the rest of these Subs while they all are decent guns anything HK is the best of the best, the MP5 is the most accurate, rugged and has a good fire rate of 800rpm but is not as good as the others but still good. The MP5s price tag is a problem though, but the MP5 wins in my book and if its good enough for SAS, SEALs, and Delta force that means something.
Old November 26, 2005, 06:08 PM   #44
hoosierdaddy

I just googled "most popular machinegun" and found this...

Quote:
The most popular submachine gun in the world is currently the Heckler und Koch MP5. However, it is designated as a "machine pistol" by its manufacturer (MP5 stands for Machine Pistol 5), a designation some reserve to firearms such as the MAC-10, which are the size and shape of pistols, unlike the MP5.
Looks like the world agrees with the majority of those replying to the poll.

Last edited by hoosierdaddy; November 26, 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old November 26, 2005, 09:01 PM   #45
Dave Haven

The Germans have referred to submachine guns as "Maschinen Pistolen" forever.
Maybe because submachine guns have traditionally fired a pistol cartridge.
They even interchanged MP and StG (SturmGewehr) on the 44... The Father of Mikhail Kalashnikov's 1947 "invention".
Old November 28, 2005, 09:29 PM   #46
MeekAndMild

British Soldier,

I'm surpised you didn't mention the M-3 and M-3A1 on your list. Lot of them saw service during WW-II and from what I read this was one of the few guns which could be adapted for shooting around corners. Now what could be more optimum than that?

I guess that you had to have one right handed grease gun guy and one left handed grease gun guy in a squad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M3_SMG
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old November 29, 2005, 01:17 PM   #47
BlueTrain

Does anyone but me dislike the grip safety on Uzi's?
Buy War Bonds.
Old November 29, 2005, 04:18 PM   #48
The British Soldier

A word on the M3 - why not keep them for pumping grease out of and leave shooting bullets to the decent weapons! You cannot place an M3 alongside a modern weapon and expect a comparison; they are 1st generation weapons where we are now using 5th or 6th generation smgs.

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains
And the women come out to cut up what remains
Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling.
Old November 29, 2005, 04:27 PM   #49
DimitriS

The M3 was a better SMG then the old Stens that the British had in WW2.

The M3 if you upgraded it's design sightly over the crude build of the originals in WW2 would probrobly be the best SMG avalible today.

I dont know about any of you but I know people who used both the Grease Gun and the Sten and others in or around World War 2 and they all agreed the M3 was the better one

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083
Old November 29, 2005, 06:15 PM   #50
model 25

Does anyone but me dislike the grip safety on Uzi's?

Yes I do but it works for what it was intened to do and that is to make the weapon safe and ready both. I took a Houge rubber sleave grip and slid it over the safety because my grip wouldn't reliably squeeze the safety. The houge doesn't press the safety in but holds it right to the edge of travel so I only need a little pressure for the safety to be off.

I had the full auto rangemasters look over this arrangement and they declared it safe in their testing.