The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 26, 2021, 11:51 AM   #26
dahermit

Having used cast lead bullets in both the .30-30 and the .32 Winchester Special (M94's) and taking at least one deer with the .32, the appear to be naturals for cast lead bullets and in the "old days" (sixties or so), gun writers would often opine that there was little to be gained by using jacketed bullets in those two.
Old July 27, 2021, 10:40 AM   #27
Metal god

lol Amazon

So I got my Lee universal expanding die , um no wait correction I got an empty black Lee die case haha . As soon as I picked up the delivered package off my step , it was so light I knew there was not a die in there .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 27, 2021, 02:14 PM   #28
mehavey

So the die was stolen ?
Old July 27, 2021, 02:26 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

a) die was stolen unlikely, but not impossible
b) shipping dept screwed up and shipped an empty die box more likely than stolen,
c) mistake in ordering, either you placing the order or the clerk filling the order, either way, their paperwork will say "ordered die box". very possible.

What were you CHARGED for???
If they only charged you for the die box, the order was screwed up.
if you paid for die (and the box it comes in) and didn't get the die, you got ripped off.

What does the paperwork say they shipped???
Old July 27, 2021, 03:42 PM   #30
Metal god

No it was supposed to be the die . The die holder had the universal expander die paperwork clamped inside . Amazon has made a few big shiiping mistakes lately . A delivery was confirmed last week and I did get a package addressed to me but it was not what I ordered , not even remotely close to what I ordered . Item delivered had a worth much greater then the item that was supposed to be delivered. For a second I thought about just keeping it but returned it in the end .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; July 27, 2021 at 03:47 PM.
Old July 29, 2021, 06:04 PM   #31
Rifletom

Metal god, you could try 9.0gr Unique with that bullet. Straight out of the Lyman #4 cast bullet loading manual. Works very well in my Mod 94 Win/20" barrel. Std LRP.
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM   #32
Metal god

Yeah , I'll likely try a couple pistol powders . I finally have all the dies I need and likely will reload this cartridge on my Lee CTP . I already have all my 30-30 brass FL sized and trimmed so my thinking is setting it up like this on the 4 hole tool head .
1) powder drop
2) M-die
3) seat bullet
4) crimp with FCD ( collet style )

I figure powder drop first so the M-die in the second station can clean up any neck issues the powder through die causes . I've loaded some 223 on the CTP and the rifle powder through die can ding up the neck a little sometimes . IDK I'll have to test all this out , 99% of the time I load rifle cartridge's on a single stage so loading rifle cartridge's on the CTP although not new to me , it's not something I have a lot of experience with .

Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM   #33
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't think the Lee Factory Crimp Die is a collet-style crimper. According to the Lee web site, none of the FCDs are collet-style.
Jeepaholic
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM   #34
Metal god

I don't think Lee specifies what any of there FCD's are . I do know there FCD's are what they are supposed to be for the cartridge . Meaning if the cartridge you are loading requires a roll crimp . The Lee FCD in that cartridge is a roll crimp die same with taper etc.

This is a pic of the three different ( collet , taper , roll ) Lee FCD inserts or die it self , sorry I forget for which cartridge each is for but these are all from Lee FCD's . I took and posted this pic several years ago in a thread talking about this same general subject

From left to right 223 , 308 , 30-30 FCD's

Last edited by Metal god; Yesterday at 10:56 AM.
Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM   #35
Unclenick
Staff

The devil is in the nomenclature details:

The Lee Factory Crimp Die IS a collet crimper. It is available only for rifle cartridges.

The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die is NOT a collet crimper. It is available for pistol cartridges and revolver cartridges.

The Lee Collet Style Crimp Die is another collet crimp die with switchback collet finger grooves to enable the short collet to work with shorter cartridges than the original Factory Crimp Die design can handle and it is available for magnum revolver size cartridges.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #36
Metal god

Interesting distinction that the difference is the carbide ring which to me seems to be a bad way of describing the difference . To me adding the carbide into the title does not in any way describe the actual difference in the crimps ( lame ) So I should have said the carbide FCD's are the proper crimp for the cartridge and can be either taper or roll crimps depending on the intended cartridge ?

Old Yesterday, 07:39 PM   #37
mehavey

Strongly recommend you not use any crimp that even hints at swaging the neck.
Rather I suggest (strongly of course) that instead you utilize standard roll crimp w/ the 30WCF
Old Yesterday, 11:50 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

I crimp my .30-30 ammo (all loads) with the Lyman seater die from the Lyman .30-30 die set that I have been using since 1972. Works just fine for me.

I don't see why one needs to make it difficult...
Old Today, 12:27 AM   #39
Metal god

Quote:
I don't see why one needs to make it difficult...
Not sure what you mean by difficult ? I've only been reloading about 10 years or so and never have I used my seating die to crimp any bullet . Maybe what I need to do is make it easier haha , seeing how I've always did it the more difficult way lol . If you ask me ? ... the "more difficult" aspect to this cartridge and bullet is the addition of the M-die . I've never needed one before but I've been brow beaten so darn much on this "M-DIE" being our lord and savior , I figured might as well get one and try it out before I'm banished to eternal damnation . Oh man I'm really cracking my self up now

If referring to me sizing all the cases first ? That's just something I do with all my rifle cartridges . I literally have thousands of cases FL sized in multiple calibers ( many already primed as well ) just sitting around ready to load . This means I had already prepped out several hundred 30-30 cases going on a couple years ago now well before I got these new lead bullets . So really I'm just filling all 4 stations in the tool head since I don't need the sizing die in there . Thinking If I have to pull the handle to advance the head anyways , It might as well be doing something while I do so .

Quote:
Strongly recommend you not use any crimp that even hints at swaging the neck.
No worries , The rifle FCD - DO NOT have the swaging ring like the ones do for pistol calibers . They are a straight forward collet style crimp die with NO swaging whats so ever FWIW I do know why you say that . It's because If the neck were to be swaged with a lead bullet seated the brass can spring back while leaving the lead swaged down resulting in less bullet hold ???

Last edited by Metal god; Today at 12:39 AM.