The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 25, 2021, 04:05 PM   #1
Terry A

Question on 1996 Ruger Police Carbine

Hi fellas,
I bought a used Ruger PC Carbine, ran the serial number and it came back as made in 1996. It's actually a "Police Carbine". It looks like the modern PC Carbine but it's not a take down.

I searched as best I could for the answer to my question on Google but found nothing. Ruger cannot be reached by phone. 11 calls with a robot saying "Sorry, your call cannot be placed at this time"

Here's my question....does anyone know if I can swap out the mag well in this 1996 model for a Glock magwell?

Many thanks!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old June 25, 2021, 04:32 PM   #2
FrankenMauser

Officially, you cannot.
It does not follow the modern fad, and does not take Glock mags.

But if you dig deep enough, you may find something in the aftermarket. Or files to 3D print a mag well.
Old June 25, 2021, 08:05 PM   #3
9x19

Lone Wolf offered to convert the original models to Glock mags (I had one) back when they were in production, but I haven't seen anyone offering such work in a long, long, time.

I like the newer versions much better than the originals... their easy mag well conversion is just one reason.
Old June 26, 2021, 06:14 AM   #4
jetinteriorguy

You could probably sell it for the price of a new one and just buy the new version.
Old June 26, 2021, 03:40 PM   #5
Terry A

Thanks for the info and advice! Very much appreciated!
2 Thes 3:16 "Now may the Lord of peace Himself continually grant you peace in every circumstance. The Lord be with you all! "
Old July 13, 2021, 07:30 PM   #6
smee78

Don't underestimate the rifle you have, I had one of the older pc40 carbines and it was a great shooter. I wish I had kept it, I would have liked a bigger mag but think the ones it had were really fine for what I did with it. It was like a bigger 10/22.