The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 31, 2021, 04:46 PM   #1
somedude

Help please

I am having a super brain fart and it’s worrying the do do out of me. What is the cage looking thing on an older shotgun barrel. Not a poly choke, it is towards the end of the barrel but not the very end. Thanks for any help
Old January 31, 2021, 05:21 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Heat shield.
Old January 31, 2021, 07:26 PM   #3
mehavey

Cutts compensator
Old February 1, 2021, 02:35 PM   #4
Ricklin

Agree, the less common of two common "adjustable" chokes. The most common is the good old "dial a duck" AKA the Polychoke.

The Cutts is the one that looks like a cage. Watch out for guns that don't have the choke insert in the Cutts compensator. I think the Cutts was sold on the basis of it's alleged recoil reduction thanks to that venting, IE the cage appearance.
I have not owned one, I avoid guns that have them. Tho I have read Winchester offered both muzzle devices from the factory.
If a Winchester shotgun has a choke device the choke will not be marked on the barrel. If it is marked with a choke designation? The device was not installed at the factory, despite what the seller may claim.

Added on muzzle devices devalue a classic shotgun, except in the case it can be proven the device is factory installed. That's easy for Winchester guns.
Old February 1, 2021, 02:37 PM   #5
mehavey

I've got two Model-12s, both w/ Cutts.
They are a joy to swing into/onto/follow a moving target.
Old February 3, 2021, 01:08 PM   #6
Ricklin

Great in the hand

I have yet to pick up a Model 12 shotgun that is not.

The qualities of the Model 12 are legend in that respect. Shooting away from home at Bellingham the old photo on the wall says it all. Every man on the squad with a model 12, and it was not a small squad. The pic was not dated but looked like 50's or early 60's.

One of the design goals of the Super X-1 was to reproduce the same handling in a semi auto gun. The engineers were very successful, unfortunately the qualities of the gun exceeded the cost to manufacture it, and that never works except if you answer to a guy named Vladimir.

My "main gun" for Trap is a shooter grade M12 trap. It's a youngster compared to my back fence gun. I replaced the butt stock with a Monte Carlo with adjustment, I did not get the original buttstock with the gun.