The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 20, 2017, 07:46 AM   #1
101combatvet

Looking for an internal safety full size 9mm

I've been given a blank check to purchase a new pistol. The only criteria are that it is 9mm, night sights, and has an internal safety.

Suggestions?
Old November 20, 2017, 08:01 AM   #2
OhioGuy

Can you define "internal safety?"

If you mean "can't fire without pulling the trigger" then pretty much every modern pistol meets the criteria.

I know Glock, Sig and several other popular brands can be had with factory night sights, but I'd recommend buying what you actually want and worrying about aftermarket details later.

There are so many high quality firearms available right now that you could almost just buy whatever feels best in your hand and have a good chance it'll run flawlessly forever. Rent some 9mm striker guns at a range and just see what you like. I happen to be a big fan of the Walther PPQ. I also have a CZ P07. One striker, one hammer, both awesome. But I would not hesitate to own Glock, Smith, Sig or just about anything else.
Old November 20, 2017, 08:08 AM   #3
WVsig

Yeah internal safety is completely confusing me. Do you mean a firing pin block?
Old November 20, 2017, 08:16 AM   #4
101combatvet

Just that the pistol needs to be safe before pulling the trigger and I don't have to flip an external safety to fire or re-holster. That is the only real requirement besides the caliber. Night sights are optional but suggested.
Old November 20, 2017, 08:32 AM   #5
WVsig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101combatvet View Post
Just that the pistol needs to be safe before pulling the trigger and I don't have to flip an external safety to fire or re-holster. That is the only real requirement besides the caliber. Night sights are optional but suggested.
You need to be more specific IMHO. You need to narrow it down because you have basically described 80% of 9mm pistols on the market.

What do you already own? Are you looking for a fullsized gun, compact etc? Help us help you.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:19 AM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

I got you, bud.

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 Long slide, full sized, or compact.
Glock 34, 17, or 19.
HK VP9
SIG P320
Old November 20, 2017, 10:22 AM   #7
BarryLee

I'm real happy with the HK VP9.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old November 20, 2017, 11:58 AM   #8
burrhead

Glock 17.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old November 20, 2017, 12:14 PM   #9
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig View Post
You need to be more specific IMHO. You need to narrow it down because you have basically described 80% of 9mm pistols on the market.

What do you already own? Are you looking for a fullsized gun, compact etc? Help us help you.
This.

Also any preference of striker fired or hammer fired? Poly frame or metal frame? Dollar range? I am sure that was part of WVsig "etc" though.
Old November 20, 2017, 12:39 PM   #10
101combatvet

With no preferences other than what I already mentioned. Cost requires approval but doesn't appear to be a concern, hence the blank check.
Old November 20, 2017, 01:59 PM   #11
RickB

"Can't fire without pulling the trigger" does cover just about every gun on the market, today.
I'd say a safety is something that prevents the gun from firing when you DO pull the trigger, which leaves a whole lot of guns out of the discussion.
Old November 20, 2017, 02:41 PM   #12
pblanc

If I understand you correctly, you don't want an external, manual safety. You also don't want to have to flip an external lever before rehostering, which rules out a decocker.

If that is correct, you have pretty much ruled single action and double action/single action pistols out of the equation and you are left with double action only hammer-fired and striker-action pistols.

Some military weapons with free-floating firing pins are potentially prone to drop fires and slamfires but the vast majority of striker-action and DAO hammer-fired pistols have striker or firing pin block safeties and often additional mechanisms that render them drop safe. Be aware though that any type of safety, internal or external, is a mechanical device and potentially susceptible to failure like all mechanical devices.
Old November 20, 2017, 02:56 PM   #13
Wishoot

You really need to get to a shooting range that rent's a bunch of 9mm's. What I like may not work for you.
Old November 20, 2017, 03:06 PM   #14
OhioGuy

I think you can decompose this pretty quickly. You've already picked a caliber, so you're most of the way there With the "no external safety" guideline, you pretty much eliminate 1911s. Arguably anything with a grip safety, like Springfield XD, although I'd make the case that it's disengaged just by holding the gun properly and therefore does not count as an external safety that requires any extra steps (like a thumb safety, for instance).

If this is a do-it-all sort of gun for range/home defense use, then you probably want a double stack full-ish size pistol with at least 15 round capacity.

1. Do you ever intend to carry this concealed? If no, you may as well go big or go home and get something full size (Glock 17 is a good representative of that, or a Sig P226 or Beretta 92fs). Big, hefty, easy to shoot and control.

2. Do you want a consistent trigger pull? If yes, then most likely you want to stick to striker fired guns. They all have the same trigger pull from one shot to the next. Generally not as light and crisp as single action hammer guns (at least in stock form) but also far lighter than double action hammer guns. I happen to have come around to a preference for hammer-fired, DA/SA on a carry gun, but unless you have some real pressing reason for it, you can probably stick to striker fired.

3. Another angle...if there's no limit here, then do you want something with more value than just reliability and utility? Something iconic, or something with "personality?" Glocks and the like will run forever, but they're all pretty boring (that's why they run forever!). Do you want something like a Beretta 92, or Sig P226, maybe CZ-75? These may or may not have external safeties (they will at least have external decockers), but there's something about them that's just so much more interesting than modern, black, plain-Jane striker guns. Go hold an all metal, highly polished Sig P226 with Rosewood grips and tell me it isn't sweeter than a reliable piece of plastic That Sig may set you back $1200 or more, too. How much value do you put on the awesome factor?

So having considered all that, most likely, you'll want to get a modern striker-fired 9mm handgun in either full size or "compact" size. Again, reference Glock 17 and 19 as size standards. I'd probably advise people toward the 19 size because it's darn near the same as the bigger one, but more easily concealed. At least you keep the option, and you can use extended magazines in all of them. Thus, here's my list (worth every cent you've paid for it) based on 100% subjective impressions I've gained over the last year. Note: I put a lot of weight (no pun intended!) on trigger pull and ergonomics/comfort. Some guns just point naturally for me, and others seem not to. It will be entirely different for someone with different hands, height, eyes, etc.

1. Walther PPQ: about Glock 19 size, fantastic ergonomics, and a trigger that really is awesome. It feels very much like a Beretta 92 trigger in single action, maybe *just* heavier, and the reset is unmistakable. I own this in the 5" barrel for range and competition use. I can hit targets and make follow up shots faster with this gun than any other I've used. I even got it in .22 for more practice at less cost. Decent aftermarket support.

2. S&W M&P 2.0 (and compact): the super rough grip texture is a love-it-or-hate-it kind of thing, but you can cover it with something if it bothers you. I thought this was a huge improvement over the first generation, and the trigger is now quite nice too. This one just fits my hand wonderfully. Good aftermarket support.

3. Sig P320 (full and compact): Was my #2 until I found I shot better with the M&P 2.0. Very similar in size and ergonomics to the M&P also, and with a very crisp trigger. Read about the modular/interchangeable parts...not a useful feature for me, but maybe for you. It's a flexible platform. Shoots great, runs great. Feels kind of top-heavy to me. Decent and growing aftermarket support. It's the Army's new sidearm for a reason. It's really good.

4. Glock 17/19 (Gen 5): I like both. Glocks just don't "fit" me well. I don't know why. There's nothing wrong with them, I just have a natural preference for the others on the list. Glock is synonymous with aftermarket and you can find everything you'd ever imagined to trick it out. And there's a certain icon status to it, too. It pretty much created the striker-fired market and still dominates. I happen to think the guns above have out-Glocked the Glock, but again that's all subjective!

5. Ruger American Pistol: I actually like this gun. It doesn't get much love. It's heavy and built like a tank. I'm not sure how many people really even own one, but I found it very easy to control and to be accurate with. The ergonomics are pretty good, as is the trigger.

There are of course many others. I'll say I owned a Springfield XD Mod.2 for a year and recently sold it...reliable and with good ergonomics, but I just found that I liked other models much better. This one has a grip safety. Also, I have not had a chance to try Beretta's new APX, though it feels nice in the hand and looks a little funny. Way too soon to know whether this will become a real player, or just fizzle.

Oh, I also tried a CZ P10c. As much as I like CZ, and for as much good press as that gun has received, I just plain didn't like it. I can't really say why!

Last edited by OhioGuy; November 20, 2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old November 21, 2017, 12:16 PM   #15
101combatvet

Hello All, I just wanted to thank everyone that responded to my question. Because of the information provided I have narrowed my choices a little. Once my choices are narrowed more precisely, I'll rent a few pistols and make a decision which I'll share with you. Until then have a great Thanksgiving!
Old November 21, 2017, 04:09 PM   #16
batmann

From your description, I would suggest Glock 19.
Old November 21, 2017, 05:54 PM   #17
doofus47

If you need to expand your list, you could probably look at the catalog of approved-safe-enough-for-California pistols.
Old November 21, 2017, 06:42 PM   #18
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofus47 View Post
If you need to expand your list, you could probably look at the catalog of approved-safe-enough-for-California pistols.
r u kidding? I thought all California pistols with pistol grips - all pistols are now assault weapons...

doesn't a revolver have a pistol grip?

I don't understand these fascist laws. shame on scotus for not hearing arguments

http://www.laxrange.com/california-gun-laws/
Old November 21, 2017, 06:49 PM   #19
WVsig

I guess I am confused. It seems like the OP asked for a fullsized gun but people are suggesting guns like a

Glock 19
PPQ
M&P 2.0
CZ P10c
P320 Compact
HK VP9

Last time I checked all of these are considered compact guns. Full sized 9mm means something like a

Glock 17
Glock 34
Sig P226
Beretta 92FS
CZ75B

Or has there been a change that I am not aware of.
Old November 21, 2017, 08:14 PM   #20
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVsig View Post
I guess I am confused. It seems like the OP asked for a fullsized gun but people are suggesting guns like a

Glock 19
PPQ
M&P 2.0
CZ P10c
P320 Compact
HK VP9

Last time I checked all of these are considered compact guns. Full sized 9mm means something like a

Glock 17
Glock 34
Sig P226
Beretta 92FS
CZ75B

Or has there been a change that I am not aware of.
Not all companies mean the same thing by Compact. And the difference between a Glock 17 and 19 is really not that great. A 19 is still a service weapon, and with the larger magazine is almost indistinguishable from the 17. Same for M&P. I think those "compact" guns still fit the bill.
Old November 21, 2017, 08:45 PM   #21
Psychedelic Bang

Since I just bought an M&P 9 2.0 yesterday....

The M&P 9 2.0 full size, and compact have nearly the same dimensions...

In the compact the barrel is 10.2 cm, and in the full size its 10.8 cm. I'm not sure how long the grip is but we are talking about two bullets. 15 in the compact, 17 in the full size.

I went with the full size.. cause I like the "luxurious" length on the grip

Edit = just verified by looking @ specs; Glock 19 and SW MP Compact 9 have exactly the same barrel length at 10.2 cm

Last edited by Psychedelic Bang; November 21, 2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old November 21, 2017, 10:17 PM   #22
MandolinMan

Quote:
Full size, compact, etc. are somewhat general terms used differently by various manufacturers.
Old November 30, 2017, 05:53 AM   #23
t107380

CZ75

A CZ 75 SP01 Tactical from CGW End of Story
Old November 30, 2017, 09:31 AM   #24
Cheapshooter

Quote:
A CZ 75 SP01 Tactical from CGW End of Story
Quote:
Just that the pistol needs to be safe before pulling the trigger and I don't have to flip an external safety to fire or re-holster.
Quote:
The Tactical variant of the SP-01 utilizes an ambidextrous decocker in place of the manual safety on the standard SP-01.
No end of story here. Still has something that needs to be mechanically operated to re-holster.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!