The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2017, 05:51 PM   #1
dakota.potts

Mauser HSC at local shop

Went cruising by a couple shops after work today looking to what interesting projects I might be able to find at a low cost. A local shop had a neglected Mauser HSC 7.65mm tucked in a display case.

I did not get any pictures. It was complete with one magazine but finish was poor. The metal pretty rusted, including the magazine. Rust the outside the barrel. Bore looked dark but not rusted. Somebody had scratched their initials into the checkering.

The shop offered it to me out the door for $148 and I'm really tempted to use it as my next project.

What do you guys think at that price?
Old November 18, 2017, 06:02 PM   #2
Model12Win

Ja! Das ist ein guten pistole Mousah! I'd get it and duracoat it, and say danke to them!
Old November 18, 2017, 10:03 PM   #3
dakota.potts

Not to offend, but I really find Duracoat to be a less than acceptable replacement for a fine finish such as blued steel and walnut. Were I to take the project on, I'd use it to get my home rust bluing set up running. Wouldn't take much equipment at all to rust blue a small pistol such as that.
Old November 19, 2017, 11:55 AM   #4
tallball

That's a no-brainer for that price.

I am just a guy who likes to shoot, not a restorer. And I am lazy. And inept at mechanical projects. But even I could buy a set of springs for $10 or $20, then spend an hour or two taking the rust off. Add a few dollars worth of cold blue and I would have myself a good shooter.

But you skillful guys could make that pistol a thing of beauty. I think it's a very nice-looking design.
Old November 19, 2017, 08:37 PM   #5
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The shop offered it to me out the door for $148
And you didn't immediately buy it?
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 19, 2017, 09:55 PM   #6
dakota.potts

Believe me, I waffled on it for a while but wasn't sure it was responsible. What with a new job, recent move, and only two paychecks left until Christmas I got cold feet.

I think if things are going well by this Friday I'll go see if they still have it. They said had been there a while
Old November 20, 2017, 07:10 AM   #7
101combatvet

If pitted I would pass. Otherwise, I would have it restored to the original blue finish.
Old November 20, 2017, 07:47 AM   #8
Ibmikey

At that price I would purchase it and then find out if it works before going further. Post war HSC pistols have a very spotty reputation and seem to possess every malady known to the semi auto pistol.
Shoot it until you are convinced it will be reliable or if it is not begin the task of determining what is causing malfunctions, it would seem to me there is a reason the pistol is being offered at 1/4 the going price understanding the rust issue will discount it some.
Old November 20, 2017, 07:57 AM   #9
muzzleblast...

I always thought the Mauser HSc was a fine looking pistol and felt great in the hand. But, the DA trigger pull on the ones I have handled has been excessive to the point that I never "pulled the trigger".
Not sure I'd spend $150 on an ugly one.
Old November 21, 2017, 11:51 AM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Yes, the HSc us a good looking pistol, and a great collectors piece. BUT, it is not, IMHO, a practical weapon today. It is very complex, with many internal interactions that are not readily understood, and a system of operation that is different from any other modern pistol, dating from the early days of Mauser handguns. The hard fact is that Mauser made great rifles but its pistols were over-designed and antique almost from their first issue.

In spite of a relatively large production, parts are complex, scarce and expensive. After market magazines are not always reliable due in part to the complexity of the magazine design, which looks simple but is not.

My advice: if you want a great piece for the collection, the HSc fills the bill. If you want a practical carry gun, just about anything else would be better.

Jim
Old November 21, 2017, 07:59 PM   #11
dakota.potts

Well, it's done today. Just have to wait the 5 days for Broward County mandatory waiting period (yuck). I checked it out today and it is a late war or post war production but has a proof mark for either police or military (can't tell which until I clean it up a little bit) so it has some cool little bit of history.

The rifling is present and distinct but not especially sharp or strong. Not a deal breaker for me. I didn't buy it to be a frequent shooter. Just want to refinish it, display it (maybe track down an issue holster and manual to go with it) and shoot a box or so of ammo through it when the urge strikes.

The metal finish is mildly pitted and I will do what I can with it. It won't be immaculate but I think it will be a good looking piece in the end. Pictures will be up later.

No worries about self defense. If I am going to carry or keep something in my car/nightstand for self-defense I'll just use my CZ P-01 or 75 BD. I have an active interest in European firearm development, especially these semi auto pistols from the first half of the 20th century, so it's a cool find for me either way. Even in the event it's not a great or reliable shooter, it's a pretty modest cost for a neat collection piece.
Old November 21, 2017, 09:05 PM   #12
Dfariswheel

The Mauser HSc is a very interesting design and one of the "Big Three" of Walther's PP series and Sauer's 38H that set the standard for pocket autos up until quite recently.
One writer described it as an Art Deco pistol.

One "watch-out" is to closely inspect the frame just in front of the rails for tiny cracks.
The HSc was prone to developing cracks in that area and they can be hard to detect.

Years ago one Master pistolsmith described the post-war HSc as a "2000 round gun" because he claimed that they cracked at around that number of rounds.
I did once own a WWII HSc and the frame was found to be cracked after I'd already bought it.

Still in all, the HSc is a unique and attractive pistol.
Old November 22, 2017, 01:11 AM   #13
PzGren

The HSC evolved into the HK P4 and unfortunately shares its poor trigger characteristics. Nevertheless, it is a sleek and accurate gun.

It is one of the classic pocket pistols.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old November 22, 2017, 06:34 AM   #14
CajunBass

If you want it, and you're a little short of funds, ask if they have a lay-a-way program. A lot of stores do. "X" down and so long to pay the balance.

I take advantage of my local stores program ALL the time. I'll put a gun on lay-a-way, just to give me time to think about it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 5, 2017, 09:05 PM   #15
Ignition Override

Guys/gals, be careful to not dry fire the Mauser Hsc.
The firing pins can be very brittle (my Hsc is a WW2 version). You might need lots of luck finding a replacement pin, and imagine the high price.

Also--the inserted Magazine is Required to operate the gun. Never separate the mag., except when cleaning.

Because of the initial, post-WW2 West German laws, weren't many Hsc's actually produced in France, before a later commercial .380 Auto version was also produced in Italy (Gambia or such)?

They are very attractive guns, but are usually known to be less reliable than the Sauer 38H.
You can find lots of Hsc's and 38Hs at the Wanenmacher's show in Tulsa. We went in November. Such silly, delusional prices too. I saw almost Nobody buying any gun, Any type: surplus, modern....

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 5, 2017 at 09:16 PM.