The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2017, 11:08 PM   #1
Glockgreat23

SCCY Impressed

Wow, I bought a SCCY intending to throw it in the truck and basically just have something permanently in that vehicle. I put 100 rounds through it today and was very impressed. DA only, so not as fast as my Glock 26 and others in that class, but no misfires, stovepipe a, nothing and shockingly accurate. For $185 pretty hard to beat I'd say
Old November 17, 2017, 11:14 PM   #2
Sharkbite

I won a SCCY pistol at a gun club dinner a cpl years back. Like you, I was kinda shocked at how the gun shot and the reliability of the pistol.
Old November 18, 2017, 12:41 AM   #3
Ibmikey

I bought one a few years ago and used it as a truck gun until my neighbor “scrounged it” for a carry gun in church particularly. I missed the SCCY as it was a decent shooter and easily concealed so I bought another and back into the truck it went. This copy has had four to five hundred rounds through it without a failure of any kind.
Old November 18, 2017, 01:34 AM   #4
Mosin44az

How is the trigger on these?
Old November 18, 2017, 10:07 AM   #5
Glockgreat23

The trigger takes some getting used too, especially shooting double taps. Sort of like a DA revolver but not as smooth. I’m hopeful with a lot more shooting it will smooth out. No trouble hitting within 4 inch center mass at 15 yards though
Old November 18, 2017, 10:16 AM   #6
lamarw

I carry my CPX-2 frequently. Like several have stated, it is a surprisingly good pistol and manufactured in Daytona Beach, FL.

What most if not all of you will never find out is just how great their customer support is to customers. They are the best.
Old November 18, 2017, 10:20 AM   #7
THEWELSHM

great customer support Garbage product, I sold mine after the 3rd visit home...

thewelshm
Old November 18, 2017, 11:36 AM   #8
Glockgreat23

It appears the Welshman had a bad experience and I have read others, but my impression has been if you had continual issues SCCY would just send a new gun? What kind of issues did you have? My guess would be magazines. Mine were so tight I was forced to use a magazine loader but I'm hopeful they will loosen up with time
Old November 18, 2017, 11:54 AM   #9
pblanc

I shot one twice, a pistol owned by someone else who had just purchased it new. On both occasions, it had failures to feed and double feeds. I also felt that the trigger was mediocre at best, but no worse than I would have expected for a pistol in this price range.

Granted, this is a sample size of one.
Old November 19, 2017, 04:38 AM   #10
Ibmikey

The first pistol I bought was the CPX 1 with a safety lever which tended to chew on the web of my hand. I contacted SCCY and they quickly sent me a new frame without the safety feature...problem solved and I would never have used the safety feature in this weapon anyway. It took just a few minutes to transfer the parts to the new frame. That pistol also still functions flawlessly.
Old November 22, 2017, 12:39 AM   #11
vkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarw View Post
I carry my CPX-2 frequently. Like several have stated, it is a surprisingly good pistol and manufactured in Daytona Beach, FL.

What most if not all of you will never find out is just how great their customer support is to customers. They are the best.

They are not going to be in Daytona for much longer. SCCY announced in April that they are moving nearly everything to TN.

http://www.thedailytimes.com/news/ha...4c0a2321c.html

I checked the new site back in June and no ground had been broken, so their target move date seems a bit ambitious.

At the bottom of the article, it states that ammo manufacturer AMI is also moving to Maryville, but due to AMI's financial issues, that move seems to be on hold indefinitely.
Old November 22, 2017, 03:22 AM   #12
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin44az View Post
How is the trigger on these?
Among the worst I've ever felt. It's similar to the old LC9's in that they are super long DAO that are heavy and, since it's a hammer fired pistol, there was stacking.

Hi Points have better triggers.
Old November 22, 2017, 05:09 PM   #13
Silverbullit

I have one. Sort of a love hate deal. I love the size, it has never failed in 400 rounds. I hate the trigger and I don't like the way it feels in my hand. BUT, I can shoot lights out with it and I guess that as a carry piece it is just about perfect. I have other guns that are fun to shoot but are just a bit too big for my preferred pocket carry.
Old November 23, 2017, 12:10 PM   #14
TomNJVA

I bought mine for self defense at close range, so the long (but smooth) trigger pull doesn't matter to me - it is not a range gun. I like that it is one of the smallest and lightest 9mm handguns with high 10+1 capacity and double strike capability, and the warranty is great. Mine has been reliable with several brands of ammo, ball and JHP.
Old November 23, 2017, 06:08 PM   #15
akpls

Yup....long, heavy trigger, but it has taken everything I've put through it without a problem. Surprisingly accurate too.
Old November 25, 2017, 06:11 PM   #16
DanPop

My son in law bought a cpx2 last year and hates it, hates the trigger, can't hit the broad side of a barn door with it.
S&W Bodyguard 380 Ruger LCP 380
Old November 25, 2017, 06:29 PM   #17
Glockgreat23

Yep, gotta be patient with the trigger but it's not a target gun, more of a 7 yard max defensive arm that takes practice, but that practice is good for you. Can't expect much more for $180
Old November 25, 2017, 06:56 PM   #18
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockgreat23 View Post
Yep, gotta be patient with the trigger but it's not a target gun, more of a 7 yard max defensive arm that takes practice, but that practice is good for you. Can't expect much more for $180
*cough* used Ruger 9E, S&W SD9VE, Taurus PT111 Millennium G2 Pro *cough*

Yes 2 of those are larger guns, but if you can't hit what you're shooting at... what's the point? With the Ruger 9E, you could chop the grip down to accept SR9c magazines and have something akin to those Glock 19's that people chop the grips down to Glock 26 length.
Old November 26, 2017, 01:02 AM   #19
Ibmikey

The trigger on the SCCY is not the best but anyone with shooting ability should be able to master it quickly. Having instructed police for many years i know that even the worst shooter can be brought around with proper training and commitmennt from them. I stroke the trigger through on my SCCY while maintaining a good sight picture and find the pistol to be quite accurate for personal defense.
One must remember this is a DA only trigger and will take increased pressure to complete the cycle.
Old November 26, 2017, 12:08 PM   #20
Mosin44az

Comments on the trigger give me pause, I ultimately sold my SD9 and P11 for that reason. Thinking of it as very close range piece might help. The size and the price, together with apparent decent quality and good service, make it worthy of continued consideration.....
Old November 27, 2017, 09:23 PM   #21
Buckeye!

I have read different coments about the SCCY trigger ..... I cut my teeth on DA revolvers ...the trigger is better than most stock , 5 shooter revolvers... It is what it is ... Its not a Striker fired pistol ...
I have owned three in the past .. I traded them off .. Not because I didn't like them .. They are handy for " boot " in trades ...

They carry well ... Shoot well... and all of mine were dependable ...
I just have more 9 mm pistols than I need (5) ... and I'm not a huge 9 fan...or I wouldn't mind to own another ....

SCCY vs PT111 G2 .... The PT111 G2 wins ... The PT111 G2 are solid pistols ....

But if you keep your eyes open S&W Sheilds in 9mm can be found at verygood prices ... They are not double stack they are staggered stacked ....
Old November 27, 2017, 10:25 PM   #22
THEWELSHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockgreat23 View Post
It appears the Welshman had a bad experience and I have read others, but my impression has been if you had continual issues SCCY would just send a new gun? What kind of issues did you have? My guess would be magazines. Mine were so tight I was forced to use a magazine loader but I'm hopeful they will loosen up with time
I had the CPX 1 with ambidextrous safety, garbage plastic lever I heard the CPX 2 is better,? And hickok45 has a good video. I sold mine and got a SD 9VE for basically what I sold the SCCY for..light years ahead.

Thewelshm
Old December 3, 2017, 12:07 AM   #23
RTFM

I plan on purchasing the CPX 2 (9 mm no external safety) sometime spring 2018 - I follow them on twitter, got a direct message from them in Sept - they said - we see you follow us, you've said nice things about us, we'd like to promote your good will by sending you a shirt, hat and sticker package - what is your mailing address?

True to their word - the next week they sent a shirt, hat and stickers... I know this is not a pistol review.. but hey good customer out reach

The ONLY thing I can say negatively about them is that if the extractor fails to extract you CAN NOT heal the slide back over the round - they say you MUST ram a rod down the muzzle end to tap (hammer) out the casing.
(read that in a review with one of their armors confirming)
Old December 3, 2017, 01:15 AM   #24
Ibmikey

Extraction has not been a problem in many hundreds of rounds through my pistol, certainly I shall not carry a stick around with me for a possible future stuck case.
Old December 13, 2017, 08:51 PM   #25
SCCY

Would you like to hear me bad mouth Glocks?