The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 17, 2017, 10:12 PM   #1
Glockgreat23

Hornady gun cleaner question

This post is not intended to start another endless discussion on lubes. I have recently started experimenting with Hornady spray gun cleaner and have a question. The instructions say to spray it on, then let it dry, then wipe it down. I do so, and the gun just seems dry.....are you supposed to lube again? Or is this dry film enough for auto pistols?
Old November 17, 2017, 10:38 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have not used that particular product, but i believe it is a silicon type dry lube. Those have been around a while and have several advantages, notably the lack of any "drip" of the kind common with oils (especially when overused) and the fact that the lube stays in place rather than running off and leaving the metal surface unprotected. Yes, the product, used as directed, should be good enough for any recommended use.

Jim
Old November 18, 2017, 07:10 AM   #3
springer99

I've used the One-Shot cleaner and lube for years now on my auto's and revolvers without any problems. I normally flood the areas to be cleaned first, wipe off the residue and then spray the area again for lube purposes. Let it go until it's dry, assemble the firearm, wipe off the exterior and you should be gtg.
Yes, I've found that the very light film remaining does a good job as a lubricant. Guns don't seem to build up with fired round debris as quickly either.

If you check the MSDS sheet on the product, you'll find that it's actually a wax-based lubricant.
Old November 18, 2017, 10:04 AM   #4
Glockgreat23

Thanks guys, I’ll just keep shooting then and be happy
Old November 18, 2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Lexspeed

I like it when I don't have time to spend on a more through cleaning. Just spray that One Shot on the slide and firing pin area ...then watch all the black crud flush away! I think it is a very effective cleaner and an ok lube. I always have a can in my shop.