The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 2, 2017, 02:40 PM   #1
RileyMartin

Reloading Steel cases for M1 Garand

Hi,

I have a lot of Wolf 30-06 ammo and it's a shame to just throw away the used cases. Does anyone reload Steel cases?

Thanks,

Riley
Old November 2, 2017, 02:52 PM   #2
Ibmikey

For a Garand? Surely you jest.
Old November 2, 2017, 02:57 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

Riley,

Take a look at what reloading steel did to a chamber that was just at .45 Auto pressure. The problem is that steel is far less malleable than brass. As a result, the owner's cases developed a lot of small fatigue cracks when he resized them. These leaked gas jets all around what would have been a pressure ring in brass. The gas jets cut the pockmarks into the chamber.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chamber pits crop and markup.jpg (27.4 KB, 469 views)
File Type: jpg Chamber pits quad markup.jpg (24.1 KB, 458 views)
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 2, 2017, 07:37 PM   #4
RC20

First I was Facebook and now its steel ammo

I tell you, the Russkies are doing us in with this stuff.
Old November 2, 2017, 07:46 PM   #5
HiBC

Yeah,RC,and you can see them from where you are!
Old November 2, 2017, 08:25 PM   #6
RC20

Well I hate to correct a fellow TFL member, but that was our Republican governor (bless her).

They seem to see things rational people don't !

I am turning blue waiting for my much lower cost and much better health insurance to show up (and a bunch of other tripe)

And no I should not write this but I did not want to help myself.

The Moderator can smack me and I deserve it.
Old November 3, 2017, 03:52 AM   #7
HiBC

Actually,Gov Palin did not say it. Her SNL spoof double did. Our fake media never lets the Truth get in the way of the story.
But I figured I'd get a rise out of you.
Old November 3, 2017, 12:32 PM   #8
T. O'Heir

Steel cases are not reloadable. Despite some of the nonsense seen on-line.
Wolf .30-06 steel cased ammo is Berdan primed anyway. Far more trouble than it's worth to even think about reloading. Even if you could reload steel cases.
Make some drawer pulls(cut 'em off and drill out the primer pocket) and recycle the rest.
"...Her SNL spoof double..." That'd be Tina Fey. There's just somethin' about her that says, "Yummy.". Dunno what. snicker.
Old November 3, 2017, 01:31 PM   #9
RC20

Quote:
Actually,Gov Palin did not say it. Her SNL spoof double did. Our fake media never lets the Truth get in the way of the story.
But I figured I'd get a rise out of you.
Agreed, got it mixed up with the real interview. Of course a very small Island in the Bearing see (600-800 miles?) away is Russia.

I think she was being touted as a Russian expert. She just was before her time!
Old November 3, 2017, 06:20 PM   #10
Slamfire

Quote:
I have a lot of Wolf 30-06 ammo and it's a shame to just throw away the used cases. Does anyone reload Steel cases?
Steel cases are cheap and disposable. They were not intended to be reloaded and I would recommend that you toss them.
Old November 4, 2017, 01:00 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

The ones people try to reload are boxer primed. I've been operating a 1050 when one got in by accident and the difference in sizing resistance was pronounced, even on that machine. We did go ahead and fire that one reload, but disposed of the case afterward. In the case of the pitted chamber at the top, the owner had multiple reloads through the steel cases.

I suppose that if you had boxer primed steel rifle brass and neck sized it only, it would manage some extra life. But I've cracked a carbide ring on a pistol die before just with heavy use on brass and would be constantly on the lookout for die damage from steel, even with neck sizing, based on that experience. Just not worth the potential problems.

And yes, please cease and desist on the politics, real or fake. It's general effect on the bulletin board public is not unlike trolling and will lead to thread closing if it persists.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 22, 2017, 11:34 AM   #12
RileyMartin

Thanks for the input. Seems like a waste but I guess I'm tossing the Steel cases.
Old November 22, 2017, 02:09 PM   #13
mikld

It's no great loss to toss steel cases. I don't even pick them up except on occasion I inspect a fired case to make sure everything is OK. I can't find brass for my AK74 so I buy steel cased ammo, but no steel for my Garand! Yes, steel cases can be reloaded, just like I can walk from home to the range (13 miles and 3 on a dirt road), but it jes aint worth the time and trouble...
Old November 22, 2017, 03:45 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

steel cases are a one time use thing, even if they are boxer primed.

You can toss them, but scrap metal is worth some money. you might need a bucket full to pay for the gas to take them to the scrap dealer, but they are worth something for the metal in them.

During 1943, with wartime metal shortages at their peak, the US did make steel cased .45ACP ammo. (and zinc steel pennies!) but they never considered making steel cased .30-06. And, after that one year, went back to making brass .45 auto, and copper pennies.

As far as I'm concerned, anyone who would put steel cases in a Garand should have the daylights flailed out of them with a buggy whip, rode out of town on a rail, torn into little bitty pieces and stomped on. And THEN, we would get nasty!!

seriously, its a bad idea...
Old November 23, 2017, 02:37 PM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...Seems like a waste..." Drawer pulls. Replace all the drawer pulls in your house. Cut 'em to length, deburr and use brass screws. You can file the slot off the screw after they're installed if you want 'em to look like primers.
Old November 23, 2017, 05:03 PM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

I have seen some Horndady steel case ammo. "Steel Case Match" If I recall correctly. It was .223 Rem. it was boxer primed, and looked like dull brushed nickle. It was boxer primed. I had one that made its way into my sizing die. It almost got stuck. I then magnet tested it. It stuck to the magnet. I ran the magnet through my brass again to make sure no more were in there.

It is not just if it is Berdan prime. Some is Boxer primed. They are not worth reloading. There is just too many actual brass cases out there to justify it.
Old November 23, 2017, 05:16 PM   #17
Stats Shooter

Isn't some of that blazer pistol ammo aluminum cased....or something similar?
Old November 24, 2017, 03:06 AM   #18
44 AMP
Staff

CCI "Blazer" (centerfire pistol) ammo is aluminum cased, and Berdan primed, deliberately made to be non-reloadable.

CCI also makes "Blazer Brass", ammo, which is regular, reloadable brass cases, and is more expensive than the aluminum Blazer ammo.

Back in the dark ages of the early 70s, as a beginning reloader, I got a bunch of greenish looking GI .45acp "brass". Not knowing any better, and never having heard of steel cases, I did reload them. Once. The primer pockets were not quite big enough, but this teenage reloader managed to smash CCI primers into them. They did fire, but I had about ruined my sizer die, and I wasn't going to try them again.

They were FA 43 headstamped, if I remember right.

Don't reload steel cases. Even if it works, its bad for regular dies, and usually not good for your guns, unless like Soviet designs, made for steel from the "ground up".

It may seem like a good idea, but it usually turns out to be false economy.

In my opinion, running steel through a valuable and historic gun like an M1 Garand is not only risking damage, its disrespectful.

Tags
reloaded ammo , steel cased