The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 30, 2017, 12:06 PM   #1
charliek

Need a new revolver

I'm 81 and arthritic so I can't rack a slide anymore and I'm in the market for
a small revolver. There seems to be no end of Smith j frames and I have a larger frame smith and like the quality. I don't know ruger double action revolvers. Nor do I have experience with the Charter Bulldog. So I am open to suggestions, what direction should I go?
Old October 30, 2017, 12:17 PM   #2
BBarn

Do you have a particular caliber in mind? And what is/are your intended use(s).
Old October 30, 2017, 12:38 PM   #3
Buckeye!

Ruger LCR's seem to have a nice trigger pull .. But they are light .. Which some people like and some dont
Old October 30, 2017, 01:05 PM   #4
charliek

New Revolver

I want something for home and personal defense. I'm in a wheelchair so don't get out much and concealment is not much of an issue. But i need something which is small enough to carry since I can't run from trouble. .38 and or .357 makes the most sense since I can reload for either. Currently I have a 1911 and a smith 625 but both are hard for my joints to handle. My govt. model 380 is marginal for me to operate.
Old October 30, 2017, 01:30 PM   #5
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliek View Post
I want something for home and personal defense. I'm in a wheelchair so don't get out much and concealment is not much of an issue. But i need something which is small enough to carry since I can't run from trouble. .38 and or .357 makes the most sense since I can reload for either. Currently I have a 1911 and a smith 625 but both are hard for my joints to handle. My govt. model 380 is marginal for me to operate.

Hard to beat a S&W 686/+ or a GP 100. You can just shoot 38 calibers if the noise or recoil is too much for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old October 30, 2017, 01:36 PM   #6
DaleA

In the Ruger double action revolver here is the line up from largest to smallest:

Super Redhawk
Redhawk
GP100
SP101
LCR

This doesn't really tell the "whole story" though. You might just like the Super Redhawk 'Alaskan' which is the big frame 44 ounce revolver with a 2 1/2 inch barrel chambered in .454 Casull. You could shoot light .45 Colt loads in that and it would probably soak up the recoil pretty well and with the short barrel could be handy enough for you to keep in the wheel chair.

My recommendation would be to take a look at the whole line up something like the SP101 might suit you well.

The LCR has become wildly popular and is produced in so many flavors that it is really hard to go into them all. You can have the 17 ounce LCR in .357 magnum with a 1.87 barrel up to the LCRx .22 WMR with a 3 inch barrel.

There really are so many options you probably need to go through the Ruger web site yourself to check them all out.

http://ruger.com/products/lcrx/specSheets/5431.html

FYI I got to fire the small LCR with 158 grain .357 magnum rounds and the recoil was so bad I just will not do it again. I would consider myself middle of the road as far as recoil sensitivity goes.

Good luck.
Old October 30, 2017, 01:45 PM   #7
tallball

I would be looking for something in 327 magnum (probably Ruger) or 32 H&R magnum (probably Charter Arms).

If 327 is too much, you can shoot 32 H&R. If that is ever too much, you can shoot 32 S&W long (which is very gentle).

The 32's are a good resource if you are starting to have hand/wrist issues.
Old October 30, 2017, 03:50 PM   #8
BigJimP

small is relative I guess....and bigger may make it easier for you to manipulate if you have to .....any or all of the revolvers will be better than manipulating a slide probably.

Weight dampens recoil significantly....so I like your approach with a .357 Mag...and most any of the K, L or N frames may suit you...and I would probably lean toward a 4" or 6" barrel..( S&W K Frame model 66, L frame is a model 686 , N frame in the older guns is a model 27 or 28 and the newer guns are a 627 ).

J frames will give you a lot of recoil...so I don't think they are your best option.
Old October 30, 2017, 05:57 PM   #9
fostereast

If the 625 is a bit tough on the joints, is it the grip or the load? I recently acquired a 625 and I have serious grip-gripes with it, but love the firearm overall. I think a midsize to large revolver in a 357/38 would be versatile and a 38 special can be a good SD caliber. The 627 has 8 rounds, nice & heavy, low recoil. 5" barrel, good for close and distance related SD.

For S&W DA, the stock trigger pull will be pretty hefty. Even broken-in it will still be 10.5-11lb, so it might turn into a SA self defense tool. If that's the case, I'd suggest considering a SA like a Ruger New Vaquero in a 357. The stock grips are pretty gentle on the hands and if you can't easily thumb the hammer with the trigger hand, you can get a drop in Bisley type hammer that is very easy to thumb with you trigger hand.

Just some random thoughts. Good luck with your decision.
Old October 30, 2017, 06:21 PM   #10
SonOfScubaDiver

A 3 inch Ruger SP101 with Pachmayr Diamond Pro grips would be a good choice, in my opinion. The grips would help considerably with the recoil, compared to the factory grips. You can have the main spring swapped out with a 9 or 10 lb one that would make it much easier to pull the trigger in double action. Load it with good 38 spl +P self defense ammo, and you'd have something that packs a good punch and is small enough to conceal when going out and about. And you could comfortably keep it in your lap while at home doing your daily home stuff.
Old October 30, 2017, 10:03 PM   #11
kenny53

I just replaced the hammer spring in my SP 101, 4.2 inch barrel, 357 Mag. I went with a 10 pound Wolf spring. Double action is very nice compared to the stock spring. My SP 101 trigger was very smooth just heavy, now it is very smooth and much lighter. To change the spring it takes about 10 minutes. After I changed the spring I put 100 rounds through the gun. 38's and 357 mag, different brands to check for light strikes. Worked like a champ.
Old October 30, 2017, 10:46 PM   #12
reddog81

Can you manage the 12 lbs trigger pull of a J frame? In defensive situation you shouldn't need to rack the slide but you will need to pull the trigger.
Old October 31, 2017, 02:08 AM   #13
RMcL

Another pistol that will work and is very easy to conceal is the Beretta 3032.
This is an 8 shot .32acp autoloader with a tip-up barrel that eliminates the need to rack the slide.

Here is a Sootch00 video showing how the pistol works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGkbnV_OyY0
Old October 31, 2017, 08:40 AM   #14
Will_G

You might try a Ruger LCRx in .327 and see how you like it. That would allow you to fire SA if that would be helpful, and as others have said, you could go down to 32 H&R or 32 S&W Long if recoil is a problem.
Old October 31, 2017, 12:20 PM   #15
105kw

I've got arthritic hands.
I would suggest a K frame Smith & Wesson in .38 Special.
Heavy enough to dampen recoil, should be light enough to handle.
Old October 31, 2017, 03:12 PM   #16
RIDE-RED 350r

I would lean toward a J-Frame Smith not of the lightweight scanduim contruction, but stainless or blued like an older model 60 or 36. Now I am not 81 years old yet nor do I suffer from arthritis yet so I can't tell you if it is the solution. But in my experience, my m36 is very shootable with standard pressure 38spl loads, especially with 110gr and 125gr bullets. It is an older m36 made of blued carbon steel so despite it's small size it still has a smidgen of heft to it compared to many of the modern super duper wizz-bang featherwight J-frames now available. My grandmother was searching for something easier for her to use as autos were an issue for her as well. At 78 years old she tried my model 36 and found it agreeable enough that she bought a used m36 herself.

Nothing against previous posters, but in your situation I don't see a longer barreled and/or larger framed revolver being terribly convenient for you. And I see no reason why even milder 38spl loads wouldn't dissuade a would-be attacker. Plus there is a vast array of grips available to maximize your level of comfort when shooting. I would give my first look to Hogue with their soft overmolded rubber grips. They aren't terribly pretty, but I have found them to be most effective in mitigating the sharpness of recoil in my 44mags and 460 S&W mag. Granted, I have put hardwood on all of my magnums since, so I apparently have a descent tolerance for recoil.

Best of luck in your search and please let us know what you went with
Old October 31, 2017, 05:42 PM   #17
fourbore

I have have a older steel J frame with hammer. You cannot go wrong thereor with new models in alloy and hammerless. I have been thinking of getting an LCR in 32 mag for light weight and 6 shots. Price right. I cannot recommend something I dont own. Just sharing my thought process and unmade up mind.

Here is a good practical review from an honest man who knows what he is talking about and how to shoot. My opinion. I dont believe he is recommending one over the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nOe4O0Jr0g

On the other hand if you go to the smith wesson website, I counted 25 revolvers in 38 special. Some lighter than the lcr. Some heavier too. The Pro Series looks worth some consideration if it fits the budget.

If the OP is already leaning to a high end smith J frame, then it is pretty hard to make a case to change that idea. I hope smith decides to offer the 32 mag again.
Old October 31, 2017, 06:37 PM   #18
shurshot

I would suggest a S&W K frame model 10 4" barrel .38 special. Heavy, but handy, easy to conceal and very powerful with 158 lead semi wadcutter +P's, the old FBI load. Your dealer might be able to locate a good condition police trade in at a fair price. As far as J frames, the S&W 642 .38 Airweights with reduced recoil loads might be a good option for a lightweight revolver. I love mine, although with + P loads, it kicks more than my .44 Magnum.

Last edited by shurshot; October 31, 2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old October 31, 2017, 06:50 PM   #19
TruthTellers

You say concealment isn't much of an issue, but you want it small for carrying...

Is there a certain length barrel you would prefer? The snub revolver are 2 inches, which is small, but it sounds like you could be just fine with a 3 inch barrel, possibly even a 4 inch.

I always recommend the .327 Ruger LCR to folks who are afflicted with arthritis and can't take recoil. Load the .327 LCR with .32 H&R Magnum ammo from Hornady and see if the recoil bothers you. If it does, find any non-wadcutter .32 S&W Long ammo.

If you can get by with a longer barrel, I would say look at the SP101's, the 3 inch .357 and the 4.2 inch .327. With the .357 SP101, load it with Hornady Critical Defense Lite, it shoots a light bullet that weighs less than some .32 bullets are.

I would stay away from the Charter revolvers for you as they are pretty light revolvers and I think you would be better served with a heavier Ruger. Better yet, the snub S&W 686+
Old October 31, 2017, 08:10 PM   #20
Sequins

How about a GP100 with a 3" barrel chambered in 357 but with the intention of shooting .38spl rounds? If that could conceal alright you'd be in business.
Old October 31, 2017, 08:21 PM   #21
Buzzcook

I agree with the idea of a .32 or light .38sp. But it also depends on how your arthritis exhibits. a double action revolver trigger might be a bit much, and too light of a gun has its own problems.
Before putting his money down for a revolver he might want to explore tip up barrel semi-autos such as the Beretta 3032 or similar. they have a single action trigger and the tip up action is much easier than a slide for most people.
http://www.beretta.com/en-us/3032-tomcat-inox/
Old October 31, 2017, 08:36 PM   #22
fourbore

I have a Baretta 21a in 22LR. I believe this is mechanically the same as the tomcat with a tip up barrel. These guns are made without extractors. If the round fails to fire you are pretty much dead in the water in any real world defense scenario. You rack the gun, ammo will not come out. The 22 has to be pried out. I image a center fire round might drop out or you could bang it. The 22 with the rim expanded gets stuck. I dont like the design for defense. I my view more of a fun gun than a practical choice. It is very small. Well the 22 will easily fit in a pocket.

Not to say its a wrong choice. Just, for the OP's beniefit, be aware of the design limitation.
Old October 31, 2017, 08:40 PM   #23
jetinteriorguy

If I were in your position, and based on guns I have extensive experience with I would say find a nice S&W Model 67 and load it with a stout load of BE and 148gr wadcutters. I believe I've used 3.4 gr of BE, but I'd check that for sure before taking my word for it.
Old November 2, 2017, 08:52 AM   #24
ViperR

I also had to go back to a revolver because of nerve damage to my non-shooting hand. Just can't load a magazine, rack a slide or clear a jam/stove pipe.
So, with luck on GB, I got a Charter Arms Patriot in .327 Fed Mag. 6 shot, can use a wide variety of 32's and has a perfect 2.5" barrel. The frame is larger than a J, but smaller than a K. I don't plan on shooting a lot of the full .327's, but a good HP in 32 H&R would be my defense round. I practice with 32 SW Longs and found a great FMJ round from Fiocchi. 50 round box is only $20 at MidWay and very clean shooting without the leading and cloud of smoke lead rounds produce.
Look into the 32 line of revolvers. I love mine.
Old November 3, 2017, 02:20 AM   #25
warnerwh

The standard 3 or 4" barrel .357 with light loaded Gold Dots like CCI makes. I don't know about other brand light .357 defense loads but they make them so there is less flash as well as recoil. Being in a wheel chair you want to stop the threat asap and hopefully with the first round. If you have trouble with the double action pull of what you buy you can have the springs replaced just making sure the hammer spring has plenty of oomph to make the gun go bang. In other words I'd go with the most powerful gun I could comfortably handle if I were you. Being in a wheel chair I'd think concealment for a full size gun to be easy.