The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 29, 2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Tactical Jackalope

Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 Compact 9mm - Finally. I'm home.

Hello, all. It's been a while. 

(Feel free to skip the boring intro)

It's been a while for a few things. A while since I've been on here, a while since I've taken a class (few years), and a while since I've found my home base again. What do I mean? We as humans love our tools. We aren't anywhere near the most powerful animals in the animal kingdom. We are where we are now because of our brains and what we can create with them. 

I finally found a pistol that's well rounded and fits all my needs. Everything else has had something I didn't like. Examples? I'll name a few. 

Let me start off with SIG Sauer classic P-Series. Some of you may remember how I've began shooting firearms at the age of 12 or 13. Handguns have always been a SIG Sauer P226 or Browning High-Power. SIG Sauer was my home base. 10 years sporting and almost another 10 years defensively. I found some better advantages in striker-fired guns, but didn't see a need to change. I mean, hell... I have so much time behind the DA/SA SIGs, why would I "fix what isn't broken"?

And then...I had a run in with SIG Sauer customer service. Which was the absolute worst customer service I've probably ever experienced (I've had better with General Electric). Why? Because the pistol was purchased used. Long story a bit shorter, and you can find it on this forum, the slide was out of spec and was eating the frame alive. SIG didn't want to cover it even with Bruce Gray in my corner. Didn't want to pay half, get me a new slide, nothing. Zero. 

So, my emotional response was to ditch a company that doesn't stand by their product even when they themselves let it leave the factory a lemon. So the reason of not being the original buyer. 

I turned to Glock and Heckler and Koch. Selling all my SIG pistols and destroying the P229. I trained and took classes and trained some more. Dry practice. Range sessions. It was proving difficult to be as comfortable and adequate with another firearms manufacturer after having been with SIG Sauer for so long. So a year later, I bought another P229 Elite Dark while I searched. 

Enter Smith and Wesson M&P Review

Finally came along a Smith and Wesson M&P 9L again...  I had one in the past, but dismissed it for an unknown reason. (Seriously, unknown. The USP 9 Compact, too small for my palms, pinch on mag changes, Glock, felt funny but dealt with it. etc)

So, it was like an extension of my arm. Tight "groupings" as well as fast and accurate defensive strings of fire. 

One handed shooting, off handed, retention, and so on. Fired 500 rounds through the gun by doing drills and just plinking without a hiccup. It became my concealed carry weapon. Yes. Huge M&P Smith and Wesson long slide and with a Surefire X300U as well. Remember.. you're going to be fighting with this pistol if the need should ever arise. 

I ended up going to Tactical Response in Camden Tennessee and taking my Smith and Wesson 9L with me in the same configuration that I carry on a day to day basis, X300U and all. 

2-day Fighting Pistol course exposed to the elements. Rain, dirt, sweat, high round count, you name it. The pistol functioned flawlessly. There were things we were doing that I otherwise either wasn't able to do with a hammer fired weapon and or had to add a step or two if I was to have a hammer fired weapon. 

I was overall content with myself and my abilities. In that they have not gotten rusty in just a couple years without formal training, which felt like a lifetime. Especially since I would train so often. So this felt amazing. My gear was great, mindset is back on track, and skill only improving more and more. Several extra tools in my tool box upstairs.

Got home and knew I had to have the compact 2.0. One of my best friends had just purchased one, a fellow HK nut of mine who is on this forum. (Who I know will chime in). I wanted a compact for the places where I'm supposed to be in the deepest of concealment. Where I don't want to even give off a hint of printing. I'd be lying if I said I hid the Smith and Wesson M&P 9L with the X300U perfectly. There was some printing but honest to God, barely any. 

I got myself a brand new Smith and Wesson M&P 2.0 9mm Compact! 

Took it to the range and every single aspect of the M&P 9L was somehow enhanced. One of the main ones being the trigger and the other being the fact that the slide doesn't go home by simply changing mags with the slide locked back. (The older M&Ps had a little tick when it came to that). 

The 2.0 has metal insert throughout the frame of the handgun. Much more aggressive texturing. And did I mention I could finally sell my P229, 1911s, and even the *gasp* Glock 19?!

I know there's a stigma around selling guns. But I am not a collector anymore and never really was. I was just doing what I thought I was supposed to. Trying everything out, I guess. Well, I learned recently that since I am in a hurricane / natural disaster zone. Having to prepare for worst case scenario almost yearly guaranteed...Traveling light is better and less stressful for me. I invest all the money on the guns I've sold and am still selling on training, gear, medical equipment, rations, batteries, and so on. 

During Hurricane Irma, I had 3 bags filled of guns. Heavy bags. In case the roof ripped off with the 185mph winds that barely missed us. Why? Because my money was/is invested into those guns. 

So.... I found a home base again. Finally. A Smith and Wesson M&P Series. I have my 9L in my SHTF bag and my 2.0 on me at all times. I have a few others which I won't mention. But I'm travelling much lighter these days. I am the weapon and my firearms are my tools. Training in how to properly stop a threat in a myriad of different scenarios. Angles that one wouldn't otherwise think of unless placed there, outside the square box of a stagnant range and immediate action medical, triumphs everything else. 

Anyways, hope you enjoyed my ramble. It was kind of supposed to be a "gun review" but I don't invest myself in the firearm itself, more of what I am capable of doing with that firearm. And granted, I can do this with any firearm you give me. God bless America. 

P.S. The Smith and Wesson 2.0 Compact is an amazing gun. Time to hang up those Glock 19s, boys! 

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old October 29, 2017, 04:44 PM   #2
Sharkbite

Ok...where did you get the extra mag? Ive been looking all over since i got my 2.0 compact
Old October 29, 2017, 05:24 PM   #3
OhioGuy

I agree. They are awesome and a real improvement over the original. The size is great too. Although as a shoot more guns I'm actually gravitating more towards a DA/SA for my next acquisition, and I'm especially drawn towards the CZ P07. It's about identical in size to the 2.0 compact and G19.
Old October 29, 2017, 07:07 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

The 2.0 & 2.0 Compact have a slide stop that's deliberately designed NOT to allow the slide to auto-close.

For those that notice the right side doesn't function as a slide release, it's designed NOT to. It is not s defect, it means the pistol is doing what it's supposed to do.

Re the mags- you can use full-size mags from the bigger 2.0 in the Compact.
S&W includes two mag spacers that slide down onto the mag bodies to fill the gap between the bottom of the mag well & the base-plate. Effectively feels & functions just like you're holding a full-sized 2.0 as far as the grip goes.
Denis
Old October 29, 2017, 07:33 PM   #5
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post
Ok...where did you get the extra mag? Ive been looking all over since i got my 2.0 compact
Hello! I got it from my friend. We all barter.

Old October 29, 2017, 07:34 PM   #6
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
I agree. They are awesome and a real improvement over the original. The size is great too. Although as a shoot more guns I'm actually gravitating more towards a DA/SA for my next acquisition, and I'm especially drawn towards the CZ P07. It's about identical in size to the 2.0 compact and G19.
Ah, that's funny. I'm doing the opposite lol. Going from a more simple DA / SA to Striker-fired. Just a personal preference based on training.

Enjoy those DA / SA pistols. They have some of the best SA pulls.

Old October 29, 2017, 07:37 PM   #7
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPris View Post
The 2.0 & 2.0 Compact have a slide stop that's deliberately designed NOT to allow the slide to auto-close.

For those that notice the right side doesn't function as a slide release, it's designed NOT to. It is not s defect, it means the pistol is doing what it's supposed to do.

Re the mags- you can use full-size mags from the bigger 2.0 in the Compact.
S&W includes two mag spacers that slide down onto the mag bodies to fill the gap between the bottom of the mag well & the base-plate. Effectively feels & functions just like you're holding a full-sized 2.0 as far as the grip goes.
Denis
Oh absolutely! I have 6-7 full-sized magazines (17 rounders) from my M&P 9L. They're in my carry bag as well as my SHTF bag with the 9L itself.

I've heard stories of over insertion with the M&P pistols apparently. Haven't seen it for myself but would rather not experience it during a serious time. I'll test this out later or in another class.

I'm going to also pass on the magazine fillers to make a full sized grip on a compact gun with the full sized mags. For that I'd carry the full sized gun. And inserting a full sized magazine doesn't bother me, after I test for myself that there are or aren't any over insertion issues.

Old October 29, 2017, 07:50 PM   #8
disseminator

Quote:
Ah, that's funny. I'm doing the opposite lol. Going from a more simple DA / SA to Striker-fired. Just a personal preference based on training.
Just out of curiosity, what can you do with a striker that cannot be done with the SIG?

I have both M&P and SIG and I carry a p226 as my favored platform for a while now. I have trained with both and about the only thing I can think of is that you can force the slide into battery by pushing on the back of the slide with your support hand palm.
Old October 29, 2017, 07:51 PM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

The application there for me will be the two spare mags on the belt.
The Compact, if it shoots well (have not fired the one here yet) will replace the full-sized 2.0 9mm I acquired earlier this year to in turn replace my older .40 M&P.

I'll try the mag spacers out on two full-sized mags in the off-side carry pouch, with the regular Compact short mag in the pistol.
If they fit tight enough to stay in place, I'll carry those full-lengthers for reloads.
\
I would not routinely use a full-length mag in the Compact for carry, no point. That'd eliminate the shorter grip (slightly less real estate to poke against my shirt) that's one of the main reasons I want the Compact.
Denis
Old October 30, 2017, 08:34 AM   #10
OhioGuy

What were the drills you were doing in your Fighting Pistol class that couldn't have been done with a hammer fired gun?

I get the extra steps of decocking, but what can't be done?

I'm looking for a ubiquitous "Glock 19 size pistol" currently, and two hammer guns are on my list. I'm weighing the pros and cons for each style. If I go with a striker, the 2.0 compact is high on my list. I've had an XD Subcompact for over a year and it's great but somehow I've just never been really satisfied with it.

Looking hard at the CZ P07. Despite being unfamiliar with DA/SA, I actually shot better with it than any striker gun I've used so far. Likely it's either that or the Smith 2.0 Compact for me!

The 2.0 fits my hand wonderfully!
Old October 30, 2017, 11:29 AM   #11
TunnelRat

I didn't read Constantine saying the DA/SA pistols couldn't do anything. I read him saying he just preferred them. Relax people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 30, 2017, 02:06 PM   #12
OhioGuy

I'm calm.

He did say unable.

"2-day Fighting Pistol course exposed to the elements. Rain, dirt, sweat, high round count, you name it. The pistol functioned flawlessly. There were things we were doing that I otherwise either wasn't able to do with a hammer fired weapon and or had to add a step or two if I was to have a hammer fired weapon. "
Old October 30, 2017, 02:15 PM   #13
TunnelRat

Quote:
There were things we were doing that I otherwise either wasn't able to do with a hammer fired weapon and or had to add a step or two if I was to have a hammer fired weapon.
Ands and buts matter, but you're correct I suppose. When I originally read this thread that part about the class hadn't been added yet (in fact wasn't nearly this long).
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 30, 2017, 02:24 PM   #14
TunnelRat

I gave up on S&W after issues with 5 separate M&Ps. I do like the design, but S&W's QC is to me lacking. Their warranty department is excellent and the issues were always fixed, but I got tired of fixing them. I still have a variety of pistols but mostly I shoot the Glock 19 now. Not that Glock doesn't have issues, but I know what they are and generally how to work around them (for me mainly weak ejection at times). I did get very close to buying an M&P 2.0 Compact, but it doesn't do for me anything that the Glock 19s I already have do. I'm also not a huge fan of the texture as I find it can grab clothing, but that could always be adjusted. I do think it will be a solid seller for S&W.
Old October 30, 2017, 03:57 PM   #15
BigMikey76

I, for one, am sad to see the size change with the 2.0 compact. My first carry gun was a Taurus PT111, and when I decided to replace it, I almost went with the M&P compact because it is basically the same size. I liked that it is smaller than a G19. I ended up letting my budget decide (read as "let my wife decide..."), and got the SD9 instead. I've been very happy with it, but I find myself wanting something smaller.
Long story short, I think the size of the original M&P C was perfect. Maybe the originals will go on crazy sale now that thehe 2.0s are out, and I can pick one up cheap
Old October 30, 2017, 04:31 PM   #16
Psychedelic Bang

I am not 100% sure, but I am 99% sure I saw an original M&P 9c somewhere for like $345 or even less.. can not for the life of me remember if it was online or at a store

in other news..

I actually like the larger M&P 2.0 Compact.. LOL!! I think S&W probably figured A: We've got the Shield, B: the space between the size of the Shield and the Glock 19 is a traffic jam - there are so many guns in this area.

But I can appreciate the good size of the original mp9c too
Old October 30, 2017, 04:40 PM   #17
OhioGuy

A lot depends on how you carry. AIWB affords more space for a longer muzzle and also conceals the grip better. But beyond about 1:30 it digs into your leg and I think the shorter muzzles are more versatile. I carry an XD Subcompact that's pretty comparable to the 1.0 M&P Compact. Glock 26 and HK VP9sk fall about into that general size, though I think Springfield may have the shortest overall length.

G19 is the all time leading CCW gun, I'm told, and clearly just about everyone else is offering something in that same size range.
Old October 30, 2017, 04:52 PM   #18
Sharkbite

I have a couple of full size M&P’s. One with an RMR, one without. Both a little bit too big for CCW. I bought a 9c to use for CCW. It was a little too small with the flush magazine base plate.

The 2.0 compact is just right for me. Big enough to shoot well, small enough to CCW.
Old October 30, 2017, 05:28 PM   #19
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
A lot depends on how you carry.

I'm a little bit of a dork lol.. I wear my pants on my waist.. rather than below my butt -- which is where I think everybody is wearing pants nowadays...

I think where I wear my pants, my Crossbreed gun belt, and a Crossbreed specific for the 2.0 9c - I bet I would not at all be bothered to carry it.

However, we wont know exactly till we try? Hmm... I still have $$ I've been putting aside for a new gun that I haven't spent yet.

I'm really looking at several firearms right now. But I haven't made that final decision
Old October 30, 2017, 05:50 PM   #20
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychedelic Bang View Post
I'm a little bit of a dork lol.. I wear my pants on my waist.. rather than below my butt -- which is where I think everybody is wearing pants nowadays...

I think where I wear my pants, my Crossbreed gun belt, and a Crossbreed specific for the 2.0 9c - I bet I would not at all be bothered to carry it.

However, we wont know exactly till we try? Hmm... I still have $$ I've been putting aside for a new gun that I haven't spent yet.

I'm really looking at several firearms right now. But I haven't made that final decision
I'm imagining Steve Urkel with a Glock in his waistband, up by his armpit
Old October 30, 2017, 08:28 PM   #21
Uncle Malice

Quote:
Who I know will chime in
Oh hai. That's me. Yesss. I'm also in love with my 2.0 Compact. It does everything I ever wanted from the M&P's I've had in the past. The size is perfect.

Quote:
Where did you hear this? I didn't see anything in the manual about it. Why in the world would they make a non-functioning part ambidextrous? lol. Mine works just perfectly with my left hand. It requires about 5-10% more pressure than the left side release. Sure, it was a little tight out of box, but many guns are. After working it in a little bit, it's smooth and easy to depress.

I see a lot of people talking about this. "Oh, it's too tight. It's not supposed to be used to release the slide." Balogna. It works great. I mostly practice with overhand power strokes, but those levers work just fine with a little use.
Old October 30, 2017, 08:49 PM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

What you can't do with a hammer fired gun that you can with a striker (and as TunnelRat said, relax) is if you're in a tussle situation with your firearm, you press the back of your pistol into the threat, therefore being able to squeeze off one round, step back, tap, rack, bang as the situation dictates.

A hammer fired gun won't be able to do that, as the hammer sits back behind the slide.

Also, 2 of the guys who had hammer fired guns, got debris in the hammer channel which hindered function until cleared.

At a family function. Didn't read much else aside from that one comment upsetting people. I'll respond better later.

Old October 30, 2017, 09:03 PM   #23
TunnelRat

Yea I know Yeager really makes a big point about that. I get it's a point, but if I have enough space to get my offhand behind the slide I also have enough space to retract the pistol more, say provide retention with the magazine floor plate up against my side, and still be able to deliver rounds on target. The benefit of the second method is I can also deliver consecutive rounds without a malfunction. If you're really worried about a gun grab scenario up close there are also some good hand to hand techniques for recovering a pistol. I get where Yeager's point comes from, I just think it's a bit oversold.

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 30, 2017 at 09:13 PM.
Old October 30, 2017, 09:07 PM   #24
Sharkbite

Quote:
Yea I know Yeager really makes a big point about that.
If im in a “tussle” my second hand has other things to be doing besides holding the slide closed. Its a ridiculous concept to even consider using my off hand to push on the back of the slide.
Old October 30, 2017, 09:08 PM   #25
OhioGuy

Wow, I'm entirely unclear what I said or did to give the impression that anyone was upset about anything. I simply asked what things striker guns can do that hammer guns can't, and you've answered that for me. There are mechanical considerations that can affect hammer guns that won't affect striker guns. I believe I agreed that the 2.0 S&W is a really great gun.

I fail to see what there is to get upset about, or why I would be upset about anything. The only guns I own are striker fired. I've put a total of maybe 100 rounds through hammer guns ever, out of thousands. I don't have some romantic attachment to any guns, any more than to drills or saws or screwdrivers.

I suppose there are so many people on forums who get into personal insult wars over perceived insults to their favorite guns, that simply asking for an explanation may have come across as "Hey man, quit insulting hammer guns, cuz #GlockSucks" but I can assure you, that was not my intent and I am perfectly calm