The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 11, 2017, 12:09 AM   #51
SonOfScubaDiver

I have a G42 and a Bersa Thunder. I like them both, but I like the Bersa better.
Old October 11, 2017, 02:33 AM   #52
Ibmikey

Reloadron, Put a Star S Pistol in your hand and you will have the Colt Gov. Model only cheaper. The Colt has a slightly different grip after which it is a clone of the Star which sell for considerably less. Check GB for a Star S, SS ( same pistol mag safety added), SI (32acp) or Super S for a great pistol.
Old October 11, 2017, 07:37 AM   #53
Hal

Quote:
Here's an old 380. I like it)
Holy crap is that an understatement!
That Colt is beautiful!
Old October 16, 2017, 10:22 PM   #54
HisSoldier

Quote:
Put a Star S Pistol in your hand and you will have the Colt Gov. Model only cheaper.
I'm blessed to own two, an S and an SS which I turned into an S. They are the best feeling handgun ever made IMO.

Cruising GB for another but they are a bit scarce!

I just loaded 50 .380 rounds with 4 grains of 231 and 90 gn Gold dot HP. Averages 1065 FPS, getting closer to a 9X19.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old October 16, 2017, 11:59 PM   #55
dsk

I have a Glock 42 that runs like Usain Bolt. I've got a couple thousand rounds through it and have had no problems aside from the early slide-lock issue which I fixed on my own. I haven't been nearly as impressed with the smaller, pocket .380s everyone else seems to love as I've found them to be very temperamental. I even have an LCP, and while it's okay it's not as reliable as the Glock is, nor is it as shootable (big surprise there).

My other .380 is an old Colt Pocket Hammerless, and while it's dated as a defense gun it's still a fun shooter. I did once briefly own a Bersa Thunder, and it would've been a great gun had the recoil impulse not hurt my hand every time I fired it. Some guns are just not a good match for some people, I guess.
Old October 18, 2017, 11:29 AM   #56
Siggy-06

I carried an LCP in my pocket for over a year then switched to a single stack 9mm on my hip. I also had a Bersa Thunder 380 before giving it to my sister, which she really enjoys. I now have a Beretta Pico on the way for $225 and with the rebate I'll have a nice pocket 380 again for $175.
Old October 18, 2017, 01:04 PM   #57
TruthTellers

I like the LCP's, imo the best pocket .380 out there for the money. The LCP Custom and II are far better than the original LCP, I wouldn't bother with the original LCP's unless you can get them for a C note.

The Glock 42 is probably the best and easiest .380 shooter, but it's too big. My recent epiphany with larger "pocket" .380's is at that size one may as well find the smallest, lightest single stack 9mm and load it with 100 grain Hornady Critical Defense Lite. That load is still more powerful than any .380 load out there and it's super low recoil.

I have this crazy wish that a company would come out with a 9mm about the size of a Glock 42 in 9mm -P (yes, MINUS P) basically just a 9mm with a 100 grain bullet or less held to 25,000 PSI max, but capable of shooting some standard pressure 9mm, but with a big huge warning that says "NEVER SHOOT ANY 9mm +P in this firearm" on the slide.

My thinking is one could still have a small gun that shoots slightly more powerful ammo than .380 and be able to shoot a few boxes of standard pressure 9mm just in case they need to.
Old October 18, 2017, 01:31 PM   #58
dgludwig

For my purpose (pistol in a pocket), anything much larger or heavier than an LCP and I'll carry something chambered in a more potent cartridge than the .380 ACP.
Old October 18, 2017, 01:32 PM   #59
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
I have this crazy wish that a company would come out with a 9mm about the size of a Glock 42 in 9mm -P (yes, MINUS P) basically just a 9mm with a 100 grain bullet or less held to 25,000 PSI max, but capable of shooting some standard pressure 9mm, but with a big huge warning that says "NEVER SHOOT ANY 9mm +P in this firearm" on the slide.
They could chamber it in 9mm Glisenti!

This is an obsolete cartridge ostensibly based on 9mm Para, but downloaded so that the Italian Army's Glisenti Model 1910 pistol would not spontaneously disassemble itself on firing. The cartridge dimensions were so similar that most 9mm Glisenti firearms could chamber and fire 9mmP, which turned out to be a thorn in the Army's side whenever captured ammunition was around, as their troops had to be firmly instructed never to use it!
Old October 18, 2017, 01:46 PM   #60
4V50 Gary
Staff

I carried a PPK/S as a backup at times or if I was working in plain clothes.
Old October 18, 2017, 03:06 PM   #61
JN01

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post

My thinking is one could still have a small gun that shoots slightly more powerful ammo than .380 and be able to shoot a few boxes of standard pressure 9mm just in case they need to.
You could get a Lone Wolf 9mm Makarov barrel for the Glock G42.
Old October 18, 2017, 03:40 PM   #62
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JN01 View Post
You could get a Lone Wolf 9mm Makarov barrel for the Glock G42.
Yeah, but that can't shoot 9mm, which is the point of my idea. The power would be comparable to 9x18, maybe slightly higher, but not by much.

And it's not like the 9mm Mak cartridge would be a bad choice, I just like the versatility of being able to shoot standard pressure 9mm, which is much easier to get and cheaper than 9mm Makarov.

It's kind of cool to think the Soviet pistol cartridges that had long been written off as obsolete, commie cartridges are actually pretty decent and ideal self defense options if used with modern powders and bullets and chambered in modern made and quality guns.

7.62x25 in an LC9 and 9x18 in an LCP sized guns would be pretty impressive. The power from 9x18 in a small gun like an LCP beats .380 and the 7.62 Tok in an LC9 would be quite high velocity, low recoil, and the bottleneck case reliable feeder.
Old October 18, 2017, 05:10 PM   #63

Quote:
7.62x25 in an LC9 and 9x18 in an LCP sized guns would be pretty impressive. The power from 9x18 in a small gun like an LCP beats .380 and the 7.62 Tok in an LC9 would be quite high velocity, low recoil, and the bottleneck case reliable feeder.
That would be quite a feat of engineering given the overall length of the 7.62x25.
Old October 18, 2017, 09:47 PM   #64
Cheapshooter

Quote:
It's called the Kahr Arms CM9. With Hornady Critical Defense Lite ammo.
The only difference is the Kahr is a few tenths of an inch smaller in all dimensions, and the ridiculous warning is not needed because it is rated for +P.
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CM9.asp
https://us.glock.com/products/model/g42
https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/h...efense-lite#!/
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 19, 2017, 09:03 AM   #65
otasan

Quote:
Yeah, but that can't shoot 9mm, which is the point of my idea. The power would be comparable to 9x18, maybe slightly higher, but not by much.

And it's not like the 9mm Mak cartridge would be a bad choice, I just like the versatility of being able to shoot standard pressure 9mm, which is much easier to get and cheaper than 9mm Makarov.

It's kind of cool to think the Soviet pistol cartridges that had long been written off as obsolete, commie cartridges are actually pretty decent and ideal self defense options if used with modern powders and bullets and chambered in modern made and quality guns.

True. The CorBon 9mm 115gr JHP +p load does a measured 1400 FPS out of my G17. This is miles ahead of any .380
Old October 19, 2017, 07:06 PM   #66
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The power from 9x18 in a small gun like an LCP beats .380
By a few fps, and maybe a couple ft. lbs.
Nearly identical rounds.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 20, 2017, 07:43 PM   #67
Front Sight

I’m a small guy, so it’s a chore to conceal anything remotely full-size.

I will carry a compact 9mm (currently a Springfield XDE) when my attire permits (sweaters, sweatshirts or jackets).

I most commonly carry a G42 IWB, but it’s too big for me to pocket carry.

Ruger LCP gen 2 (not LCP II) for when neither of the above will work.
Old October 21, 2017, 01:52 AM   #68
Ibmikey

"I have a" or "i carry a.." Is great for you but each individual should carry what is best for them after researching weapons available in his/her price range. Individual responses can provide information on troubled weapons, size or other difficulties encountered by individuals but because i like a Sig (or any other brand/model) best and the reasons why should only aid the OP as additional information in his quest for a personally acceptable pistol.
Old October 21, 2017, 10:01 AM   #69
Front Sight

^^ Agree, but I when I started, I found these threads to be helpful. Got me to try different firearms or setups that I wouldn’t have thought of otherwise.
Old October 23, 2017, 09:49 AM   #70
otasan

Corbon makes a .380 round that shoots a 90gr JHP at 1050FPS.
Old October 25, 2017, 09:25 PM   #71
Doc TH

.380 acp?

I believe the .380 is satisfactory for defensive purposes. Check out Greg Elfritz' article on results of actual shooting results - the .380 is right up there with 38 spcl, 9 mm, and 40 S&W. In response to a former comment I would certainly trust my life to a .380. However, I have to believe that a larger .380 is practically preferable to a mini-sized pistol; I am thinking of something like a Beretta 84 or Browning BDA ( practically the same firearm, made by Beretta). The high capacity provides a significant advantage, when the circumstances demand so,
Old October 25, 2017, 10:46 PM   #72
kmw1954

Doc TH, if interested in larger frame 380 like the Beretta then also take a look at the EAA Witness Pavona 380.

I picked one up new and am really impressed. It is about the same size as my XD Mod2 4.0 9mm. I bought it as a range gun though I suppose it could be carried. I've been shooting handloads thru it and it's proven to be very accurate. The load I'm using is a 100gr Xtreme plated over a midrange weight of Ramshot Silhouette powder.

Anyways I find it a lot of fun to shoot.
Old October 25, 2017, 11:25 PM   #73
Cirdan

It's just a matter of personal preference.

From my standpoint, the only reason to get a .380 is for deep concealed carry. The Glock 42 and Bersa are relatively large compared to the LCP. If you're going to carry something that size, pick a 9mm.
Old October 26, 2017, 12:34 AM   #74
volkstrm

Hello Hal. First off the newer Walter PPK's don't do that they fixed that. I think the Beretta you may be talking about is the 85F or 84F.(Aluminum alloy frame) The 85F is a single stack 8+1 & the 84F is a double stack 13+1. I have the 85F & it is just like a baby M9/92F. I love it it is one hell of a gun! The Accuracy is great easy to ccw I carry it as a back up or when I can't carry my full size gun. It is a little bigger then your normal pocket guns but that what makes it better. I would take a look at it. Good luck.
Old October 28, 2017, 07:17 AM   #75
Ibmikey

Truth Teller, As indicated above the 9x18 cartridge is as close as you will come to your dream pistol as the idea would not be marketable to many as folks consider the 9mm to be minimal for effective results. Good results requires a weapon of sufficient size to lock the breech and have full slide travel with the 9mm cartridge. Recoil on a 9 mm in a 42 size package would be beyond the ability of many shooters who purchased for personal defense ( Home or person) to handle so the pistol would not be shot much and the person carrying would be less than proficient as a result.
Besides who needs more crap printed on the slide of a pistol? Before long perhaps a stack of tablets could be hung on the pistol with all the warnings and Gov mandated crap that benefits no one but the lawyers.