The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 27, 2017, 10:43 PM   #26
WyMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spats McGee
As little as I like mag extensions being used as part of the grip, I was able to definitively determine that I prefer the grip on the Shield with an 8-round mag over its grip with a 7-rouind mags.
Try this Pearce grip extension, it made me prefer the 7 over the 8 round.

And congrats on the new Shield, it's a sweet little gun.
Old August 28, 2017, 06:12 AM   #27
Spats McGee
Staff

Drat. They had those at the gun show this weekend & I could have grabbed one. Thanks for the information.
Old November 20, 2017, 06:56 AM   #28
Spats McGee
Staff

An update: Delivery of S&W's Super Summer Hideout goodies took a little longer than the 8-10 weeks initially predicted, but my stuff (two 8-round magazines, 2 boxes of Hornady Critical Defense, and a Caldwell Mag Charger) arrived last week. The mag charger is this one, and I think it's a pretty slick deal. I've never used anything like it, but it sure simplifies loading those new-&-stiff Shield mags. I've been carrying her in that StealthGear Revolution IWB Mini, and have a DeSantis double mag pouch on the way.
Old November 20, 2017, 10:49 AM   #29
HighValleyRanch

magguts makes an extension that turns the 8 round magaine into a ten round magazine and the base plate only extends 1/4 inch further than the original. There's a few youtube videos on them with the newer gen 2 spring. I like that this turns the single stack into an 11 round capability which is the limit in California anyways.
Haven't tried it yet, but that's on my get next list.
Old November 20, 2017, 01:13 PM   #30
gc70

Try this; the lip on a Pearce extension protrudes too much, so I sanded it back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg modifiedPearce.jpg (47.7 KB, 29 views)
Old December 2, 2017, 10:08 AM   #31
WyMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch
magguts makes an extension that turns the 8 round magaine into a ten round magazine and the base plate only extends 1/4 inch further than the original. There's a few youtube videos on them with the newer gen 2 spring. I like that this turns the single stack into an 11 round capability which is the limit in California anyways.
Haven't tried it yet, but that's on my get next list.
I just put a MagGuts +1 in my Shield 7 round mag with the Pearce pinky extension. Works great, easy to install. I wasn't able to get the +1 loaded so I emailed them, they replied with a possible issue that turned out to resolve it. I might also get a +2 for the 8-round mag. Great product and good support.
Old December 2, 2017, 10:41 AM   #32
JB60

Congratulations on new Shield ,had mine three years with no problems. I remember now JHP didn't cycle well at first but after a several hundred rounds ball ammo JHP,FMJTC and 147 gr Flat Point works fine. Check new Mags for oil ,burrs and metal shavings
Old December 3, 2017, 07:05 PM   #33
WyMark

Several mags through the Shield today with the MagGuts +1, no feed or other issues at all.

https://www.magguts.com/products/smi...en-2-magguts-1
Old December 4, 2017, 06:26 AM   #34
Spats McGee
Staff

Yeah, the magguts are very tempting, indeed.