The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 8, 2009, 08:27 PM   #1
newguy07

HR handi-rifle ammo selection

Just bought a HR 44 mag single shot to use for deer season this year in Indiana. Does anyone have any recommendations of the best bullet for this application?
Old August 8, 2009, 08:50 PM   #2
bswiv

Used a TC Contender with a 14 inch barrel for quite a few deer and hogs here in Fl. While your barrel is much longer, and therefor performance signifantly enhansed, bullet selection criteria is not that much different.

In the velocities we got out of the Contender it seemed that 240, or at most 260 grain, hollow points seem to work well. A good balence between penetration and expansion.

With that said it may be that your much bigger deer may call for a heavier bullet. And I think with the longer barrel you may get the velocity to take advantage of them.

As for brand few folks will say bad things about the Hornady XTP. I've taken quite a few animals with them. I'll also admit to having a preference for the standard Remington 240 HP. It really opens up depositing all the energy fast.

Of course you sacrifice the value of two holes with a fast expanding bullet. As I get older seems I like the larger slower stuff because of less meat damage and so that I have two holes making a blood trail.......
Old August 8, 2009, 09:09 PM   #3
treg

Hard cast LSWC, LBT style hard cast with a big meplat, or a JSP. Any of those in a 240 gr configuration will work great. Choose a load that's accurate in your gun, know your caliber and load, practice a lot, and a deer (bear, coyote, etc.) ain't never gonna know the difference.
No HP's, too much meat wrecked and questionable performance especially at rifle velocities. Like bswiv said 2 holes makes for easier tracking.

Last edited by treg; August 8, 2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old August 9, 2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ross Seyfried has hunted extensively with .44 Mag handguns, and also the bigger stuff. He has often said the same thing as treg as to hard-cast and large meplats.
Old August 9, 2009, 01:18 PM   #5
kwells6

my friend yancy hunts with a 44 handi. ill get his load data here in a few. i can guarentee he shoots around 2" at 100yds ive seen it and done it with his rifle
Old August 9, 2009, 07:23 PM   #6
hardluk1

Stay away from hard cast for deer as they can punch a nice 44 cal hole through use on hogs or bear. Any soft point ,bonded hp or barnes x and you would will have a great deer thumper. Go to the hotter heavier rounds and you now have rifle that can reach out to 175 may be bit farther. You can use some of the black powder scopes and get to use the circles in them for 100 grain loads.
Old August 9, 2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Rampant_Colt

they're called cartridges!

For deer, you'll be well-served with any of the loads below:

W-W 250gr Partition Gold
W-W 250gr Supreme Platinum Tip [Black Talons w/o evil black Lubalox coating]
W-W 240gr USA SP [50rd box]
Speer 240gr Gold Dot HP
Speer 270gr Gold Dot SP
Hornady 240gr & 300gr XTP
Hornady LeveRevolution 225gr FTX
Federal 240gr JHP
Federal 225gr DPX "Vital-Shok" all-copper bullet
Federal 240gr Hydra-Shok
Federal 240gr American Eagle [50rd box]
Federal 240gr Fusion 240gr SP
Remington 240gr JHP
Remington 270gr Core-Lokt <---- Golden Saber design
Remington UMC 180gr SP [HOT stuff! 50rd box]
Magtech 240gr SP [50rd box]

I foresee a H&R Handi-Rifle in my very near future. [if only they'd make a 7.62x54R barrel...]

~happy hunting!
Old August 11, 2009, 08:53 PM   #8

Bigger isn't always better boys. I would lean towards a 200 gr Hornady XTP that you could stuff some serious powder in. You will gain a little velocity and the change in ft./lbs. of energy will be minimal. Ultimately, it is going to take a little range time on your part to see what your gun likes. But, hey that's half the fun of buying it. Good luck!

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old August 12, 2009, 11:30 AM   #9
hardluk1

.284 The twist they use does typicaly like heavier bullets than lite bullets so must times the heavies will shoot better, and does in mine . Also some of the hotter rounds are heavier unlike most ammo on the market and retain energy down range better.Except maybe those new hornady rubber tip rounds.
Old August 12, 2009, 04:36 PM   #10

hardluk1

I stand corrected. I am going off what my S&W 629 likes. So, I keep seeing these Handi-rifles popping up in various threads, I may have to investigate.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old August 16, 2009, 09:23 AM   #11
treg

Quote:
they're called cartridges!
There's cartridges and there's bullets. OP asked about bullets and got bullet answers.
Old August 16, 2009, 09:54 AM   #12
hardluk1

treg ,, Feel better now. all post cover BULLET weights to some point. gesss.
Old August 29, 2009, 06:27 AM   #13
Jack O'Conner

I've had excellent luck with Hornady's 200 grain XTP. This is an acronym for Extreme Terminal Performance. There is never an exit hole; the animal absorbs the full wallop of mighty 44 MAG.

Years ago, I worked in Northern California and hunted the steep ridges of Napa and Sonoma counties. These areas were loaded with coastal blacktails and bag limits were generous. My 44 MAG carbine toppled many blacktails with one shot. None got away.

I thought Indiana was a shotgun only state.

Jack