The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 21, 2007, 12:56 AM   #1
GASCHECK

Wet Primers

Loaders:
A question about primers that have been submerged. I while back I e-mailed one of the primer manufacturers and he said to contact HazMat for disposal. I said RIGHT! They would send fire apparatus, the cops, bomb squad, the newspapers and maybe the national guard would show up and I would be locked up for public endangerment! Sheesh!!
He e-mailed back to phone him for real info, and I told him I smelled a lawyer nearby! Never did call back.

Another guy said by all means send them to him, he would be glad to get and use them! They would be fine after drying out.

Don't the load the mixture into the caps WET???

Comments much appreciated. Never had it happen, just curious. Thanks!

Gascheck
Old August 21, 2007, 07:05 AM   #2
cdrt

I watched a show on TV once that showed how they make primers. After they're assembled, they coat them with a fine coat of some kind of lacquer, which is supposed to make them resistant to oil, water, handling, etc.

I would take a couple and load them in a cartridge without any powder, etc. and see if they will go off. I'm betting they're fine, but you might want to just use them for practice loads anyway.

I've used primers that are over 20 years old that I picked up at an estate sale. They were CCIs that were made in 1986 and they all went off. I called CCI and checked on the lot numbers. They are very helpful people.
Navy Vet, SWIFT Boat OIC, Distinguished Pistol Shot #1399
USS JOHN S. MCCAIN (DDG-36)
Old August 21, 2007, 07:18 AM   #3
Wildalaska

Quote:
while back I e-mailed one of the primer manufacturers and he said to contact HazMat for disposal.
Actually, I would contact the local fire department if the number is sufficient to cause you any concern for the safety of the public, which you must be since you posted.

And if they were submerged, I wouldnt use them.

WildismelllikealawyertooAlaska TM
Old August 21, 2007, 08:13 PM   #4
stinger

If they pop give them a try.
Old August 21, 2007, 09:29 PM   #5
Trapper L

Even if they pop you won't know if the temperature or the flame front is correct. You could end up with a quick hangfire and watch your gun go to pieces in front of your eyes. I'd throw 'em in a fire, one at a time, and stand back. That should be fun.
Old August 22, 2007, 11:59 AM   #6
rugerdude29

There was an article in a recent Handgunner (I think) where Charles Petty tested this very subject. He submerged primers in water, oil, solvent, and something else (don't have issue handy). IIRC, water had basically zero effect on the primers. Other stuff had varying degrees of effect, but there were very few failures to fire. If your primers were in water, I would let them dry out good and put the little suckers to use! If you want to see if they were effected, make up some loads of known velocity and compare the results. Happy loading!
Old August 22, 2007, 06:21 PM   #7
GASCHECK

Wet Primers

Thanks to all for the comeback.
As I said, I believe the priming mix is wet when it it pressed into the cap. Wet with what, I don't know.

As far as age, I came across a couple of boxes of RWS Sinoxid primers that got hidden among other stuff. These were from the '60's. A shiny copper color. All went BANG! I won't have any info on using submerged ones, as my question was just out of curiosity. I have no submerged primers.

Gascheck