The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 18, 2017, 04:46 PM   #26
GarandTd

Monkeys

Remington workers are implied but not stated and that comment is offensive to all American workers IMO.
Old November 18, 2017, 04:55 PM   #27
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
Remington workers are implied but not stated and that comment is offensive to all American workers IMO.
That's the view management at the major, MAJOR gun manufacturers see their workers as.

I don't think the workers are monkeys, but I know how VIP's in manufacturing companies talk about their floor workers cuz I've sat in meetings with those VIP's at companies I've worked for in the past.

The one word I remember most vividly is, "Dingus."

And the strange thing is all those company VIP's constantly have a runny nose, talk a mile a minute, and are always pissed about the littlest things.

I just get the feeling that the management at Remington/Freedom Group is no different and that's why Remington is banking on gun people to get sucked into the low prices for the RM380 and the 9mm with the rebates being offered because they're American made products from an American company in America, USA.
Old November 18, 2017, 10:02 PM   #28
GarandTd

It's not just management at major gun manufacturers. I've been on the receiving end of that kind of slander before, coming from some snot nosed "educated" manager that thinks his office and his degree makes him and his bad decisions better than the hard working men and women that have to carry out his orders.

If you want to call out Remington management for putting the screws to the American consumer that's trying to support his/her hardworking American brethren, then have at it. Just don't be like those tool bag managers by calling the workers monkeys. After all, it's those workers that carry the weight of this country on their backs.
Old November 21, 2017, 06:26 PM   #29
chrisp51

Took the new R51 out to the range today. Not a good story. Had a failure to feed (ftf) on the very first round. I changed magazines and the same thing happened. The tip of the bullet looked as if it was not tipping up enough to enter the chamber. After about 100 rounds I was able to load 4 rounds into the 7 round mags and get them all to feed. After 200 rounds i could still not load more than 4 rounds in the mag and have it function correctly. I think it just got too dirty after that because I was unable to rack the slide with the magazine inserted. I will call Remington tomorrow and hope they have a simple fix (but I seriously doubt it). I really wanted this gun to work. Will let you know what I find out. By the way I used 4 different brands of 9mm during the test
Old November 21, 2017, 06:57 PM   #30
TruthTellers

^ Were any of those 4 brands of ammo Remington brand?
Old November 21, 2017, 07:45 PM   #31
chrisp51

Yes.
Old November 21, 2017, 10:59 PM   #32
TruthTellers

Darn, even the Remington gun can't shoot Remington ammo.
Old November 23, 2017, 05:57 AM   #33
Ibmikey

It will be interesting to determine the difficulty as my pistol does not have any of the problems experienced by the OP. I normally shoot white box Winchester but have shot several hundred Remington fmj as well. Contrary to the Remington haters I have purchased R1’s, RM 380 and R 51 all of which have left me quite content with the firearm as each has functioned as expected through many hundreds of rounds.
Old November 23, 2017, 07:27 AM   #34
CockNBama

For clarity, I'm the OP, and I haven't yet loaded mine, much less fired it. There have been numerous subsequent posts detailing purchases or interest in purchases. When I can step away from chores, I'll shoot it and report. I'm looking forward to it.
Old November 23, 2017, 07:40 AM   #35
zincwarrior

It's almost a case study in how to kill a company's reputation.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:09 AM   #36
Targa

You summarized it well zincwarrior, I can see Remington being just that for business major's. With that said, I am giving Remington a chance. Not that I haven't indulged in today's global economy, we really don't have much of a choice but I certainly much rather buy an American made firearm by American workers if given a choice.
I hope your R51 works out well for you OP.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:13 AM   #37
zincwarrior

I have the same mentality. There are fortunately a plethira of US alternatives.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:36 AM   #38
Targa

No argument there. I do have to say that I am one of the gun guys eluded to earlier in this thread that was sucked into Remington's rebate and low prices, I have an RM380 on the way. For $170 after the rebate, I figured I would give Remington a go....
Old November 23, 2017, 08:57 AM   #39
GarandTd

I have little to no interest in the R51 and R9, but I have been interested in the little rm380. Remington didn't design it and it seems to benefit from that detail.
Old November 23, 2017, 09:20 AM   #40
AlaBusa

The Freedom Group has a tendency to ruin every company it gets a hold of. Profit over quality tends to do that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2017, 12:43 PM   #41
spencerhut

RM380 is fantastic. Considering they were ~$1k previous to Remington buying the company and Remington actually improving the design . . . and now you can get one for less than $200. I paid ~$315 wholesale for my RM380 a couple of years ago and love it. I feel better feeding it a steady diet of .380ACP Black Hills Honey Badgers than my original Remington 51's.
208-263-4195
Old November 23, 2017, 01:36 PM   #42
Glockgreat23

Ok, due to the rebates I decided to give Remington's R51 a try. So wanted to shoot it today and watched the excellent Remington video on taking it down and putting it back together. And after two hours of attempting to get the slide stop pin back in, I'm giving up. I'm pretty much done with Remington and this baby is going on the market as soon as I get it back together, another day. Anybody have a trick? I know the rest of the assembly is right and the barrel is aligned but can't get that pin to seat.

Update: got it back in, don't know how but finally in. Pushing down on the barrel from the ejection port seemed to jiggle something just right.

Last edited by Glockgreat23; November 23, 2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old November 23, 2017, 04:05 PM   #43
Ride Madone

Once Freedom Group purchased Remington, I was done with the brand. Freedom group has ruined every company they have purchased.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old November 23, 2017, 06:28 PM   #44
spencerhut

Disassembly and re-Assembly of the R51 and RM380 are different, but no big deal. If you can't field strip and re-assemble either with ease after a couple of times you are just not trying.
208-263-4195
Old November 26, 2017, 01:17 AM   #45
Ibmikey

Cocknbama, So solly hope you have the opportunity to shoot the R 51 soon, mine is a pleasure. As far as takedown and reassembly it is no big deal unless you have arthritic hands such as i do then reassembly requires additional effort but not impossible. Over all i like the way the pistol shoots, certainly accurate enough for personal defense. Looks are a bit different but it is very anti snag in design...i will keep mine and continue to purchase Remington products as long as they make them of the quallity of my R1, RM 380 and R51 pistols.
Old November 26, 2017, 12:32 PM   #46
pblanc

There is some question as to whether Remington will be around too much longer.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i...html?mobi=true
Old November 27, 2017, 04:25 PM   #47
chrisp51

Well so much for Remington and customer service. Tried for over 30 mins and could not get anyone to pick up the phone!
Old November 28, 2017, 07:28 PM   #48
Bart Noir

Chrisp51, I read another article (don't have link, sorry) that Remington was likely to have furlough days for its workers. Maybe the Monday after the Thanksgiving weekend was just such a day.

In other words, there might not have been anybody there to actually pick up the phone.

A buddy just bought the RM380 from CDNN to take advantage of the rebate. While I didn't fire it, I did examine and did dry-fire it. I am impressed. Kinda wish I had done the same.

Bart Noir
Old November 29, 2017, 06:59 PM   #49
hodaka

Following this thread got me to take mine out yesterday to run a couple of boxes to check accuracy. I found that if I covered the bullseye with the front sight instead of my normal 6 oclock hold, the point of impact was pretty much dead on at 20ft. I also decided to use some pliers with padded jaws to hold the barrel when field stripping instead of relying on my fingers. Much easier to strip and reassemble. Ran fine with a box of 147 Bayou coated bullets and another box of 124 JHP's from Precision. It's not my favorite 9, which is my P7, but it will do for carry and much more easily sacrificed if something unexpected happens.
Old November 30, 2017, 10:37 AM   #50
CockNBama

I have a new friend. May become a regular buddy.

Last night I finally got to a range with the R 51, and was pleased with it. There were hiccups. The first time I charged it, using a full seven-round mag, the top cartridge hung up on the ramp. Cleared the stoppage, reloaded full mag and used the slide release instead of pulling the slide back, and the pistol functioned perfectly for the next 80 or so rounds.

Those 80 rds included roughly 30 rds of the Browning 115 gr ammo, then a full box of 50 Federal RTP 115 gr. I then started back on the remaining ammo in the Browning box, and had one additional failure to feed, again with the first round of a full magazine. I don't know whether these failures were in the same mag, or not. Last two mag loads worked fine.

Accuracy at 7 yards was 2", so I moved out to 15 yards and stayed in 4" groups except when I clearly goofed up. It was the first time with any pistol in about three months.

I'm happy, and convinced the little Rem is a keeper.