The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 30, 2017, 09:13 PM   #26
Uncle Malice

I must have missed the part where he said using your off hand to press the slide into your opponent. I'm on my phone, so maybe I missed it.

I took it as meaning pressing your thumb against the rear of the slide into the body ensuring it is in battery, allowing you to get a round off. Something the hammer wouldn't be able to do.
Old October 30, 2017, 09:20 PM   #27
TunnelRat

Ah okay. I've seen Yeager in a video where he covers the offhand as well. I still think my comments about moving the point of retention hold. I'm not looking to get into a pissing match about which instructor is all knowing. Each one has/her methods for various reasons. That's also a different sub forum.

Thumb/hand method
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGqxS1Jddf8#t=2m33s

One minor gripe I have is how he classifies a "modern designed pistol" as one that is striker fired. The Borchardt pistol in 1893 was striker fired. But I get his point and that's nit picking.

Hand method close up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGqxS1Jddf8#t=5m33s
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; October 30, 2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old October 30, 2017, 09:22 PM   #28
Sharkbite

Quote:
Yea I know Yeager really makes a big point about that. I get it's a point, but if I have enough space to get my offhand behind the slide I also have enough space to retract the pistol more,
This is the post i was refering to.

Even so, breaking my firing grip to move my thumb behind the slide while in a contact fight doesnt sound smart either.
Old October 31, 2017, 08:22 AM   #29
jr24

I'm waiting for my local range to have one to try. I've been long unimpressed with M&P triggers (yes, even APEX and 2.0 FS) due to the hinge in the trigger design.

IF the 2.0 Compact feels sufficiently awesome I may be able to get over it. Still waiting on that LGS to get a CZ P10 as well.

Until then I'll stick with my Glocks.
Old October 31, 2017, 08:41 AM   #30
Sharkbite

Quote:
I've been long unimpressed with M&P triggers (yes, even APEX and 2.0 FS) due to the hinge in the trigger design.
Quote:
Until then I'll stick with my Glocks.

If you dont like the two piece trigger design, the Apex does away with it. At which time the physical trigger is very much like a Glock. All of my 1.0’s have Apex FSS triggers. No hinge in the middle.
Old October 31, 2017, 09:23 AM   #31
presspics

To each his own. I love the hinge design. It's far more comfortable on the trigger finger. To me the Glock trigger shoe has always felt like crap designed by someone that has never shot a gun..
Old October 31, 2017, 09:39 AM   #32
TunnelRat

The Glock trigger shoe is fine to me. I notice the hinge on the M&P but it's not the end of the world.
Old October 31, 2017, 09:00 PM   #33
jr24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbite View Post

If you dont like the two piece trigger design, the Apex does away with it. At which time the physical trigger is very much like a Glock. All of my 1.0’s have Apex FSS triggers. No hinge in the middle.
2 points.

1. Yes APEX does away with the hinge but there is something still off. I could live with it but...

2. I prefer not to replace trigger parts for carry guns.

So, if the new compact ia sufficently awesome in my hand I can maybe see investing the time to learn a new trigger, not to mention the money to invest in a new gun/mags/holster.

M&Ps feel GREAT in my hand abd I love the size of the new compact on paper, so its got a real shot at me buying one, but I gotta shoot it first

Clear as mud?
Old November 1, 2017, 06:14 AM   #34
Spats McGee
Staff

OP, the one necessary item I don't see in that pic is a holster. What are you carrying that beauty in?
Old November 1, 2017, 11:02 AM   #35
DPris
Member Emeritus

I dislike the Glock trigger, and won't go with an aftermarket conversion that uses one, unless the factory trigger is sooooooooo bad that it really needs it.

It's a small personal quirk, but I also won't use that type of trigger on a rifle (Savage started a minor trend with its Accu-Trigger that other makers have borrowed).

I prefer hinged & a little bit of gritty take-up over the "two-trigger" Glock set-up.
I'll live with the grit on this Compact sample while the trigger breaks in.
The reset, I really don't care about as long as it's positive, and it is.
The break is just fine.
Denis
Old November 1, 2017, 05:25 PM   #36
disseminator

Quote:
What you can't do with a hammer fired gun that you can with a striker (and as TunnelRat said, relax) is if you're in a tussle situation with your firearm, you press the back of your pistol into the threat, therefore being able to squeeze off one round, step back, tap, rack, bang as the situation dictates.

A hammer fired gun won't be able to do that, as the hammer sits back behind the slide.
First, I am not upset. Not sure why that came up.

I figured this is what you were driving at but really, if you can have a free hand to push the gun into battery, you can use the same hand to push away from subject and then fire.

Quote:
Also, 2 of the guys who had hammer fired guns, got debris in the hammer channel which hindered function until cleared.
This is a thing. You can see this happen in the Military Arms Channels function tests but IMO is not a real issue for a conceal carry holder at all.
Old November 1, 2017, 07:08 PM   #37
TunnelRat

Quote:
You can see this happen in the Military Arms Channels function tests but IMO is not a real issue for a conceal carry holder at all.
If you can guarantee that in the process of carrying concealed you never walk over or are near sand, dirt, or mud, then I agree. Depending on the distance of the conflict you might find yourself knocked on your butt in those elements. Now will it happen to the extent of the MAC tests? Probably not but I wouldn't dismiss it completel. A fair counter is that striker fired pistols also tend to not do as well in water.
Old November 12, 2017, 03:52 PM   #38
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
OP, the one necessary item I don't see in that pic is a holster. What are you carrying that beauty in?
Hello! It's actually in a T5 Custom Kydex holster at the moment. An NSR Tactical Holster will also be on the way. Both are fitted for the Inforce APL-C (I know, the Surefire fan boy with several Surefire products, including 2 X300U light, is giving Inforce a shot. Why? The XC1, which is a light in its own class, is sub-par IMO. So I prefer the APL-C. Let's see how this pans out!)

And for anyone saying that M&P 2.0 trigger isn't good, it's a world above the standard M&P! Of course, to each their own. I had to add an APEX Trigger Shoe to the SHTF M&P 9L w/ the X300U. It has improved the reset a bit.

Okay, now I'm rambling again.
Old November 12, 2017, 05:04 PM   #39
TunnelRat

I've tried the 2.0 triggers. I think they're good. The 1.0 triggers have come a long way as well to the point where I stopped putting APEX kits in them. I do still like the APEX replacement trigger part itself over the hinged design, but that's a preference not a need.

I think a lot gets made about triggers. I don't want an abysmal trigger either, but most everything out on the market currently is certainly doable to me. I've shot my stock trigger Glock at 100 yes and gotten repeated hits. Anything shot long enough will develop proficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old November 12, 2017, 05:34 PM   #40
ritepath

My next pistol should be another M&P. The two I've owned (still have the Shield) were bullet proof and accurate, not to mention so great feeling in the hand.

I almost got a 5" 2.0 back in the spring, but opted to find a CZ p-01 omega instead. Now that I have another CZ, I really want a 2.0 in 45 ACP since I sold a 45 to buy the 2.0 I was looking at. I need to pickup a LCPII also.

I guess the real question is do I need a 380 or a 45 as my next pistol...
Old November 14, 2017, 11:10 AM   #41
cmdc

I just picked up one. I didn’t specify which one, so mine has a safety on it. I’m going to take it to the range tomorrow. I was pleasantly surprised that the mags from my gen1 full-size work with the included collars.
Old November 14, 2017, 02:43 PM   #42
DPris
Member Emeritus

They'll also work without 'em.
Denis
Old November 14, 2017, 03:08 PM   #43
cmdc

Good point
Old November 19, 2017, 12:05 AM   #44
DHart

Congrats on your 2.0.

I've been a solid M&P fan for quite some time and much prefer them over my many Glocks. The M&P40 and M&P40C are easily my favorite defense pistols.

The hinged M&P trigger feels great to me, and I am not a fan of the dongle thingy on the Glock triggers.

Of my five M&Ps (45C, 40, two 40C's, and one 9C), only the 45 needed a trigger improvement. All that took was an Apex hard sear and Ultimate Striker block to bring the M&P45C trigger down to a very nice 4.5#. I'm very happy with these triggers and understand that the 2.0 models are even nicer.

If I wasn't so well set with M&Ps that I love already, I'd snag a .40S&W 2.0 Compact in a heartbeat. Perhaps, someday, I ultimately will.

The pistol I would most want to have in my hand, if I had to rely on a pistol for defense, would be the M&P40 with 16-rounds of 180 gr HST ready to roll.

It looks like S&W is discontinuing their earlier Compact models in favor of the slightly larger 2.0 Compact. I'm very happy to be well-set with first gen 40C and 9C models! They are 'keepers'. The 2.0 Compact is a 'keeper' as well.

Last edited by DHart; November 19, 2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old November 27, 2017, 01:37 PM   #45
Elliottsdad

I've been thinking about getting one of these. Do all three fingers fit on the grip (does pinky ride half on/half off the bottom)?
Old November 27, 2017, 01:41 PM   #46
cmdc

I have a full three-finger grip. Medium glove size hands.
Old November 27, 2017, 01:52 PM   #47
Sharkbite

If you can get 3 fingers on a Glock 19, you can get em on the compact 2.0. Completely different gun then the 9c.
Old November 27, 2017, 03:29 PM   #48
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliottsdad View Post
I've been thinking about getting one of these. Do all three fingers fit on the grip (does pinky ride half on/half off the bottom)?
I actually bought the full size. Found my pinky was doing the half on/half off on the compact...
Old November 27, 2017, 03:55 PM   #49
Elliottsdad

Quote:
I actually bought the full size. Found my pinky was doing the half on/half off on the compact...
I've watched a few videos and it looked like that was happening in some of them. I'd prefer the full size if that's truly the case, but will definitely handle both before I make the call (obviously :-))
Old November 30, 2017, 08:09 PM   #50
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantine
2-day Fighting Pistol course exposed to the elements. Rain, dirt, sweat, high round count, you name it. The pistol functioned flawlessly.
Constantine, what kind of round count did you run in that course?