The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 12, 2017, 10:08 PM   #76
ifithitu

My HD,is the handgun that's not in the safe at night,and the one I was carrying doing the day. I have shotguns,but because my grand babies are in and out the house, the wife made me buy a safe for my guns a couple years ago. I keep the one I carry doing the day in the draw at night. In other words I rotate my edc sometimes.
Old October 14, 2017, 08:30 AM   #77
CajunBass

Because I happen to like pistols, and don't really give a flip about long guns.

You of course are free to make your choices for the same, or any other reason you'd like to.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old October 14, 2017, 08:42 AM   #78
otasan

A pistol is good for HD because it requires only one hand to operate. Your off-hand may be needed for other things. Like a flashlight.
Old October 14, 2017, 04:57 PM   #79
45Gunner

I once heard from someone, "I use my pistol to fight my way to my rifle/shotgun".

On patrol in Vietnam, I carried a .45 ACP on my side and a M-16 in my hands. The .45 ACP was in case my M-16 malfunctioned, which was common back in those days, or if I ran out of rifle ammo. I came close but never did run out of ammo. I discovered the secret to the M-16 was keeping it clean so it was cleaned at least three times per day or after every fire fight. I am happy to say I never had to take the .45 ACP to defend my life.

In today's world, I keep an AR-15 with a 30 round magazine and a loaded shotgun in my bedroom with my .45 ACP is on my nightstand. While I practice pistol shooting at least three days per week, I only get a chance to shoot my rifle about once every 4 or 5 weeks. I am good with my pistol. If I ever had to defend my house because of a single adversary, my pistol would be my first line of defense. If I knew there were multiples, I would go for my rifle. I would use my shotgun only outside of my house because of the damage it would do to the structure and messy body parts. If I should, in the unlikely event, miss with my pistol or rifle, the holes to be repaired are relatively smaller and blood would be exiting one or two holes of the perp instead of being splattered everywhere.
NRA Life Member
Old October 17, 2017, 12:12 AM   #80
dsk

Quote:
"I use my pistol to fight my way to my rifle/shotgun"
Most altercations are over within a few seconds, so if you live long enough to fight your way to a rifle you're probably just an actor in a Hollywood movie. You'd better start the fight with the weapon you intend to finish it with. I prefer a handgun for home defense simply because I do not live in a McMansion and the maximum range I'd engage anyone is 30 feet. On top of that I have to deal with a lot of tight corners and narrow hallways, making a rifle very clumsy to swing around. Beyond that, I prefer to be able to grab a pistol and drop it in my robe pocket for those times when somebody is banging on the door late at night. It could be some idiot party dude with the wrong address or it could be the police with the same problem. Either way I don't want to freak them out with an AR in my hand. As always needs will vary, and if you prefer a long gun instead you'll get no objections from me.
Old October 17, 2017, 01:31 AM   #81
SA1911

dsk,

You're a very wise man.
Old October 17, 2017, 11:47 AM   #82
otasan

I have a Mossberg 500 and OOO buck for my VT home defense. A Glock 17 for outdoors.
Old October 17, 2017, 12:36 PM   #83
adamBomb

Quote:
A Glock 17 for outdoors.
In my state, if I am firing at someone outdoors it better be because I have run out of options to escape, otherwise, I am going to jail. If a bad guy is in the house, I can shoot. When they are outside, I can't do anything unless I have a good reason, like they have a gun too or something like that. But if they are hiding or running, I better not be looking or chasing.
Old October 17, 2017, 06:29 PM   #84
otasan

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamBomb View Post
In my state, if I am firing at someone outdoors it better be because I have run out of options to escape, otherwise, I am going to jail. If a bad guy is in the house, I can shoot. When they are outside, I can't do anything unless I have a good reason, like they have a gun too or something like that. But if they are hiding or running, I better not be looking or chasing.
What I meant by outdoors was CCW away from home.
Old November 13, 2017, 11:04 PM   #85
Glockgreat23

I don't carry anything around the house, but keep identical pistols in locked boxes in every bedroom in the house, along with shotguns in family room and master bedroom . Never know where you will be and having experienced an intruder in the house before, I feel much more at ease with this set up.
Old November 13, 2017, 11:39 PM   #86
SA1911

U.S. FSC RET,

Military combat and home defense are two very distinct and vastly different topics. Here's what I've posted on another forum about the topic:

I wish I had a nickel for every time a homeowner has asked me for home defense advice. All too often, they have been told to buy a shotgun. A shotgun, all long guns for that matter, is a double-edged sword for home defense.

An 18" 870 with 00 buck or slugs is a formidable weapon; however, it can become a pronounced liability. As long as a homeowner can remain stationary within his home (crouched behind his bed with muzzle pointed at point of entry), it'd be hard to beat a properly loaded (no bird shot unless your invader is a bird) and good quality shotgun. It's when a homeowner has to leave his room to assure safety of loved ones will a long gun become a liability. A hiding invader who is half brain-dead will take it from a wandering homeowner. If there are loved ones in a home whose safety must be assured, I'd go with a 1911-A1 and a spare mag. Always keep a hand free to parry an invader. A 1911-A1 can be easily reloaded in total darkness.

If possible, never allow an invader get close enough to touch you. That would put you at a severe tactical disadvantage.

Walking around a dark home with a lighted flashlight would telegraph a homeowner's position; hence, he'd become an easy target. A wandering homeowner is at a pronounced tactical disadvantage against a stationary and hiding invader.

A revolver is marginal for home defense. A .357 Mag is a very bad idea. The muzzle blast is deafening when fired inside of an enclosed room leaving a homeowner disoriented and with ringing in his ears. Those are severe tactical disadvantages. Muzzle flash is blinding, which will demolish night vision, which is always a bad outcome were an invader shooting at a homeowner. Worse, a revolver is next to impossible to reload in darkness. If a homeowner were to drop a speed loader, he'd be deep up a stinky river without a paddle. Turn on a flashlight to search for a speed loader, and a homeowner would make himself an easy target for an invader.

If I were going to use a revolver for home defense, it'd be a 4" .38 Special loaded with the FBI load. A double action .44 Special or .45 Colt would be a whole lot better.

If you'll recall the one hand free to parry an invader tactic, a .357 Mag and larger caliber handgun will make it difficult to keep its muzzle pointed at an invader. A handgun's recoil must never jerk its muzzle off an imminent threat.

My primary home defense is our ferocious dog who's very protective yet loyal and loving family member. He loves to cuddle. He thinks he's one of my kids. He might just be. In reality, his bark would scare away all but the most persistent, but he's a teddy bear who has never harmed anyone. But were I to hear his alarming bark in the dark of night, it'd be all the warning I need to dial 911 leaving the send icon ready to tap. Firing a handgun inside of my home would be a last desperate act with no other option available.

One last and crucial point. You're going to need professional help defending your family and yourself from a home invader. Dial 911 immediately were you to suspect invader inside of your home. A dispatcher will keep you on line until her cops arrive. She'll ask you to describe yourself. When cops are on scene, she'll tell you to leave you gun in plain sight and your hands empty and clearly visible. Cops will have no clue of who you are until your ID as homeowner can be verified. Never, ever hold any gun when cops are responding to a serious felony in progress. That's how tragic and horrible accidents occur.

If you have an appearing vicious dog in your home, secure him before cops arrive. Tell a dispatcher that you have a dog and won't harm cops.

Residential burglaries/home invasions when homeowners and family members are home are committed by extremely dangerous criminals. I personally know of two murders of family members who were home when their homes were targeted for residential burglaries. That's why calling cops for professional help is imperative.
Old November 13, 2017, 11:51 PM   #87
SA1911

I'd advise not keeping loaded guns hidden at various locations inside one's home. It would put a homeowner in quite a bind were an invader to find it.

My advice is to keep only one handgun ready. Keep other guns in a locked gun safe. If there were to be an imminent threat (a carjacker loose in your neighborhood), carry your handgun with you while inside of your home. If you can legally carry a concealed handgun, carry it with you when you leave your home.

I'd sure as heck would hate to come home to an invader who's armed with my handgun that I had hidden inside of my home.
Old November 14, 2017, 12:07 AM   #88
Bill DeShivs

Then you wouldn't be very good at hiding things.....
Old November 14, 2017, 08:59 PM   #89
cw308

When I was younger I lived in a high crime area , walking through the projects you didn't carry a handgun in a holster , it was in my jacket pocket with my hand on the grip. Pulled it out once when someone blind sided me , stopped him in his tracks.
Got married , kids , moved to a house in the subburbs , got a dog , just like in the movies. 9:30 at night both cars in the driveway & bam , attempted home invasion. Luckily old habits die hard. Sounds crazy but I do keep a handgun with me at all times .
Police were there in 3 minutes . Ended with out a problem , thanks to my hand gun .
Old November 15, 2017, 08:50 AM   #90
Big4Freedom

My pistol is attached to my bed via Titan gun vault. In couple seconds it can be in hand ready for work, providing I wake up in time...I can't have a shotgun or rifle lying on floor next to bed or in corner of room by bed or draped over night stand.

So reachabilty and maneuverability are my biggest reasons. And with the capacity of my .45 rounds at my disposal between full size glock mag in it, and the extended mag on night stand, I should be able to eliminate most threats, providing I have a few seconds to arm myself. If I'm awakened to three guys standing over my bed with guns, in the 15 seconds before my alarm goes off, it won't matter what's next to bed I guess
Old November 15, 2017, 06:02 PM   #91
Kevster

I think it all depends. I rely on a .45ACP handgun. But I live in an apartment in a low crime community with lots of armed neighbors willing and able to come to my aid. If I lived in a higher crime area or in bear country I would have a long gun handy. I figure my handgun is for when I am not expecting trouble. If expecting trouble my strategy is "don't go" but If going is unavoidable, long gun. I do think the shotgun is a bit overrated for home defense. There is the issue of corners and the issue of getting to it. Just like going outside, a handgun is more likely to be on my person.
Old November 15, 2017, 07:54 PM   #92
TXAZ

Who needs a handgun for home protection when you live in the country and the kid next door has you covered from his jungle gym?

(thats humor for the humor impaired)

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 15, 2017, 09:28 PM   #93
GarandTd

Man!! Crossman really stepped up their bb gun game.
Old November 16, 2017, 01:17 PM   #94
Elliottsdad

Quote:
But mostly, #1, my pistol is always on me and always ready.
This, this, this, this, and this.
1. It should be on you (especially in the house, as this is where a large percentage of defensive shootings occur). Nearly impossible for long guns.
2. It can offer a free hand for other tasks.
3. It is less likely to overpenetrate/overtravel
4. See number 1 again. As many others have stated, defensive situations don't announce themselves ahead of time. You do not get to pick when a thug threatens you or your family. Always be ready.

I have long guns, but really they're for sport, collection, and SHTF (I know, I know, that acronym is a naughty thing to bring up at TFL, but it is an arguably legitimate insurance policy for defense in disaster scenarios, and it gives me a reason to buy firearms I want but have no other reason to buy).

If I had a crystal ball to predict when evil was coming over, I'd have time to get the Mossberg ready. I have no crystal ball, so the handgun wins.
Old November 16, 2017, 01:58 PM   #95
ATN082268

deleted
Old November 16, 2017, 02:28 PM   #96
SIGSHR

Too many people fall for the "point and pull" myth of the shotgun.
This probably needs more discussion, especially of the legal ramifications, but I think Charlie Askins got it right when he referred to the "belly gun-you press it against your opponents belly and pull the trigger."
I recommend a careful assessment of one's home environment and defense needs. In my case, single guy, live by myself, a cat for companionship. If I hear banging at the front door, forced entry, footsteps, I know they're not hers.
I wear glasses, single vision, near sighted, really need them mostly for driving and bicycling. I have found I can get by with just safety glasses at the range, focus on the front sight, the groups are tightening. Longest distance in my apartment about 12 feet.
Yes, Ye Olde 38 Special will do nicely. Been decades since I was in any sort of armed confrontation, but I think we have gotten too hung up on this "zapped by lightning" idea of stopping power. Yes, I know, drug use does affect reactions to pain and gives people a feeling of invincibility, but does not make them invulnerable.