The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 14, 2017, 09:28 AM   #1
redlightrich

VP9 trigger?

Hello all, I have this VP9 for a few years now, but I haven't used it all that much. It really is a well designed gun, and it fits my hand nicely.

The trigger feels odd though. It is almost like a 3 stage, first, I feel spring tension for about 4mm, then I must overcome a high resistance point, and after that it is about 3mm of spring pressure till you feel the "wall" or the point where the sear will break with any further pressure. This high resistance point requires approx 1/3 the effort as it would require to break the sear.
The pull is clean after you hit the wall.

I feel this same thing when the slide is removed, so I have eliminated anything upstairs. Even the striker safety ( small lever that prevents the striker from dislodging unless the trigger is pulled) is very smooth when I activate it while the slide is off.

In looking at the trigger bar, and the path it rides on, the only possible cause I can maybe guess, is the sideways "ramp" cut into the bar, and "sear cage" area.

I would really like to smooth this out, but don't want to affect safety. I do not desire to lower the trigger pull, I would just like the first part of the trigger pull to be smooth and uniform until I hit the "wall".

Any ideas on this? I have heard that some early models had some updated parts installed on warranty, but I can't find anything specific, or if it applies to my gun. I believe mine was made in 2014.

Thank you

Rich
Old November 14, 2017, 10:20 AM   #2
sigarms228

On my VP9 there is a little creep before the trigger breaks but I don't notice it in actual live fire. The trigger did get better with rounds downrange and some did a lot of dry firing to accomplish the same. But still the trigger out of the box on my VP9 was plenty good to shoot it well.

Some claim a new disconnector made the trigger smoother. It is an inexpensive part and you can get it from HK but I highly recommend you get the tool from HKParts and remove and reinstall the trigger return spring as that is supposedly the hardest part to remove and put back in.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Disco...-410p16793.htm

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Trigg...-410p16031.htm
Old November 14, 2017, 05:41 PM   #3
wild cat mccane

https://lanzerbot.wordpress.com/2015...s-vp9-trigger/

More than you'll ever want to know and we learn the PPQ is a better/stronger design. Yeah!
Old November 14, 2017, 07:31 PM   #4
marine6680

I don't notice any hitches in mine, just a little creep before the break.

I did hit all the sliding doors with a little grease, some are hiding out of the way.

I also have a good amount of rounds through it
Old November 15, 2017, 11:11 PM   #5
redlightrich

Thanks folks. It really isn't full broke in yet, but man, there is certainly a distinct rise in pressure required before it lightens again, then the wall before the break.

I will run a few hundred more thru it

Ty

Rich
Old November 15, 2017, 11:36 PM   #6
sigarms228

Never hurts to contact HK support either.