The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 9, 2017, 03:46 PM   #1
JiriK

How accurate are H&K USP 9mm/.40 pistols?

I´m about to purchase a new pistol for target shooting. Preferrably 9mm as I already have ammo and reloading tools for it.

Shooting distance is 25m and 10-ring is 100mm (4") in diameter.
Diameter of center-10 is 50mm (2")

One gunstore has two H&K pistols: black USP .40 and stainless 9mm.
Other store has USP SD in 9mm. All those pistols are new and in my price range. I´v tried to find second hand USP Expert, but they are a bit too expensive and rare here.

So, what kind of 10-shot groups standard USP´s - or that SD model shoot from sandbags or ransom rest at 25m distance? Factory ammo or handloads.

Last edited by JiriK; November 9, 2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old November 9, 2017, 04:54 PM   #2
sigarms228

I would expect them to be in the same range accuracy wise as a SIG P226, Bertetta 92FS, CZ 75B, and such - around 2 inches at 25 yards for a 5 shot group.

IMO if you are going to be spending a lot of time shooting for best accuracy it would be worth saving up the extra for the USP expert versus the standard USP as it has match trigger, longer barrel with O ring, and some hand fitting. Online they are around $1125 I believe.

Personally for accuracy I would rather use an HK VP9 than a standard USP. The VP9, from what I have experienced and read about has some pretty terrific accuracy for a pistol in it's price range.

Keep in mind any pistol will probably favor a particular load for best accuracy, so if you try out some pistols run a variety of ammo brands and weights through them.

Last edited by sigarms228; November 9, 2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old November 9, 2017, 07:23 PM   #3
CalmerThanYou

^^Excellent advice. My VP9 is a pleasure to shoot.
Old November 9, 2017, 09:58 PM   #4
Nanuk

I carried a P2000 in 40 for 13 years as an issued duty gun. When I retired I sold my USP/C because I shot my Glock so much better.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 9, 2017, 10:18 PM   #5
Hammerhead

The USP 40 was not as accurate as the 45 version. The 40 was the only USP I was able to out shoot.
Old November 10, 2017, 06:09 AM   #6
JDBerg

I had an HK USP40 that I still regret trading off but the HK45 I have now is a better, more accurate pistol.

Last edited by JDBerg; November 10, 2017 at 06:18 AM.
Old November 10, 2017, 08:12 AM   #7
PSP

Quote:
I´m about to purchase a new pistol for target shooting.
The HK USP Elite is the model to look for pure target shooting. From a rest, it would shoot a one hole group, which is better than my other USP models.

Rumors are this sought after model in 9mm is being made again for release soon. Available now are the .45acp Elites.
Old November 10, 2017, 10:21 AM   #8
jackstrawIII

In my experience, the accuracy of H&K USPs is fine for defensive purposes, but isn't particularly excellent.
Old November 10, 2017, 11:46 AM   #9
lifesizepotato

The Elite 9mm is up there with some of the best target pistols in terms of accuracy potential. I've seen plenty of factory test targets near .5" at 25m. Standard USPs are highly accurate as well but probably not quite on that level. The Expert 9mm is pretty easily available and should satisfy target enthusiasts IMO.
Old November 10, 2017, 01:51 PM   #10
Hammerhead

Want to add that IME the USP .45 and the HK45 were both very, very accurate. I shot some of very best 50 yard groups with a plane jane USP 45, under 5" off hand, as good as my Les Baer .38 Super.
The USP 40 was a different story, never got anything better than about 4" at 25 yards. It was a fun gun to shoot, soft recoil for a .40, just not as accurate as the .45 (or a Glock 20 converted to .40)
Get the USP .45 if it fits your hand. It's just a great gun, accurate and very soft shooting. Get a Tactical, Elite or Expert if you really want something special, but do buy a .45, you won't regret it.
Old November 10, 2017, 01:57 PM   #11
T. O'Heir

"...new pistol for target shooting..." What kind? Serious NRA Bullseye or because shooting is fun? There are no match grade 9mm bullets for the former. The latter doesn't matter much, but you can reload for optimum accuracy.
Otherwise it's more about the thing fitting your hand, having good highly visible adjustable sights and a good trigger(that'll require a trigger job out of the box).
Old November 10, 2017, 07:41 PM   #12
FairWarning

The recoil reduction system in the USP series is also a real factor in 45 especially. Compared to a full size 1911, my USP 45 is noticeably softer shooting with stout loads such 230+P. I don't even use those at all in the 1911. Even so, the nature of the 45's recoil is not quite as snappy as the 40 in general.

The USP is a real kitty cat in 9mm.
Old November 11, 2017, 07:36 AM   #13
straightshooterjake

OP, your post leaves it unclear whether you need a real target pistol to be satisfied, or whether a good service pistol would be sufficient. I can't address the specific accuracy of each type of quality service pistol, but I can still offer a general summary of this issue.

Most service pistols are built to an accuracy specification of 4" at 25 yards. This level of accuracy easily allows for 25 yard head shots and 50 yard center of mass hits, so this accuracy easily meets most real world demands for a handgun. Many individual handguns shoot a better than 4", but the specification determines at what point a poor performing handgun could be returned to the manufacturer for service. In other words, what is the guaranteed accuracy? In fact, for some service handguns, the spec is 5 or 6 inches at 25 yards, though most guns off the line do a good deal better.

Real target pistols are held to a much higher standard. Target pistols need to be capable of 1.5" or better at 25 yards. This level of accuracy does not come easily or cheaply. If you want this accuracy, you will need to find a pistol which is especially designed for target precision. Generally, these pistols will come with an accuracy guarantee.

Note that you may well find some individual service pistols which shoot 2" at 25 yards. That does not mean that if you buy another identical pistol, that it will shoot as well. And more importantly, if the pistol loosens up and begins to shoot 3" groups, you cannot send it for warranty service, because the manufacturer will just say that it is still within spec.

From the description you gave, the center X on your target is about 2". That makes it unclear whether you really need a target pistol to be satisfied. The center X on a 25 yard bullseye target is about half an inch, so you may not need a true target gun. But overall, you should be aware of the distinction between service pistols and true target or match grade competition pistols when you make your choice.
Old November 11, 2017, 08:50 AM   #14
JiriK

straightshooterjake, I want a pistol that is accurate enough to shoot all ten rounds in the center-X ring. So max. 59mm group for 10 rounds at 25m.

I have been discussing with two sellers of used 9mm USP Experts. Either of those would be my first choice. If no deal maybe the new 9mm USP SD is next best thing because it has adjustable sights.

We have a reservist shooting sports called "Palvelusammunta" Military also has this type of shooting events.
That "palvelusammunta" or "PA" translates to someting like "Service shooting" and has four parts:
PA1 and 2 are rifle events.
PA3 is 10rounds at 25m standing, two hand hold, 6minutes to shoot the rounds.
PA4 is 10rounds separated in two magazines, 6+4. targets are visible for 3s and hidden for 7s. Two rounds are fired every time the target is visible. Magazine change after 4 or 6 rounds.

Pistol used must be designed for service use or be similar... cal. 9mm or bigger, so just about anything goes.
€€€€ STI etc. could be used, but I don´t want to spend thousands of € in this. New USP stainless 9mm has pricetag of 500€, SD 600€. Used Experts have asking price of 900€

Last edited by JiriK; November 11, 2017 at 09:05 AM.
Old November 12, 2017, 04:01 PM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

Okay... You struck a nerve. Since Heckler and Koch is one of my favorite firearms manufacturer.

The USP, in my eyes as a "gun enthusiast" is king. As a defense pistol, target pistol, competition pistol (Match Kit), etc.

I even carried 4 in a rotation together at one point. That said, from a purely self defense standpoint "student of the SD craft", the striker-fired designs offer a little more along the lines of a serious pistol for when your tush is on the line.

Now, I have a few selling points, but like any forum they're going to be argued with another all knowing end-all-be-all truth. So let's scrub that.

For a self defense pistol, try something at your local range between a DA / SA versus a Striker-Fired design. This is coming from someone who has been strictly shooting DA / SA for about 20 years. 10 of which "tactically".

I swapped over to striker fired for the base reasons of the same consistent pull. Yes, DA / SA can be gotten used to. Very easily. Maybe in double the time, but it's attainable.

That first pull being a lighter pull (what would in essence be the SA pull of a DA / SA pistol) is a great trigger to lay your trigger on for a more accurate shot. Especially if the distance is a little greater than bad breath distance. Or if you're creating distance (knife attack) and such.

Now, search around. There are many reasons why I'd advise you to go with a striker pistol.

As for accuracy? You're talking about HK. They make some of if not the greatest firearms in the world.
Old November 12, 2017, 04:52 PM   #16
SA1911

My guess is that an H&K USP 9MM/.40 S&W is more accurate than 95% of shooters. But that's merely a guess.
Old November 12, 2017, 04:58 PM   #17
TunnelRat

How accurate are H&K USP 9mm/.40 pistols?

Given the OP states this is for target shooting I don't think we need to go into the advantageous of one design over the other for self defense or the difficulties of different trigger pulls (of course with a USP you can choose to use it cocked and locked too).

Having owned USPs with match kits I think they'd serve very well. I do find the O-ring barrels on the Expert and the HK45 to make a difference. I do find I can shoot some other designs faster simply due to bore axis but for the string requirements you mentioned you'd be fine and a nice SA trigger for slow fire is fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; November 12, 2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old November 12, 2017, 06:26 PM   #18
sigarms228

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1911 View Post
My guess is that an H&K USP 9MM/.40 S&W is more accurate than 95% of shooters. But that's merely a guess.
The OP specified in post 14 he had a specific requirement for accuracy.

Beyond that you are probably correct but personally I appreciate a pistol much more accurate than I am. When working to improve accuracy I want to make sure it is me and not the pistol and I can improve only so much if the pistol I am using is only mediocre in mechanical accuracy. Many like to shoot their pistols from a rest periodically for fun to see how small a group they can get and/or ammo testing and accuracy would be important for that also.
Old November 12, 2017, 07:27 PM   #19
JiriK

I´m buying a pistol for target shooting.
Self defence is not a valid reason for getting a gun permit here in Finland. I guess one could try to apply gun permit for self defence, but police might refuse to take that application. Only police officers carry guns here.

I spent some time searching what german online gunstores have to offer. Mostly trying to find that USP Match trigger kit.
One finnish gunstore lists USP Expert priced 1578€
German stores have USP Elite´s for as low as 1235€
Expert and Elite- models seem to be very similar in price, Expert just few € less expensive.

Found one online reference for accuracy of the USP:
"I currently own a USP 9 fullsize and it's the most accurate 9mm gun that I've ever shot (0.5" groups at 25 yards from a ransom rest)"
posted by teflondog, 05-21-2012, 8:49 AM
Source: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-574662.html
Old November 12, 2017, 08:39 PM   #20
sigarms228

Quote:
Found one online reference for accuracy of the USP:
"I currently own a USP 9 fullsize and it's the most accurate 9mm gun that I've ever shot (0.5" groups at 25 yards from a ransom rest)"
posted by teflondog, 05-21-2012, 8:49 AM
Source: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/a.../t-574662.html
I love my HKs but I don't believe a regular factory original USP 9 could shoot that accurate, not even close. I would believe 2 inches and maybe 1.5 as a best group out of several with ammo that favored that pistol but no way .5 - not for a minimum of five shot groups. That forum post user did not specify how many shots in the group. He may have also meant 25 feet instead on 25 yards.

Last edited by sigarms228; November 12, 2017 at 11:57 PM.