The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old November 22, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1
ratrodney

shotgun to handgun conversion???

Hello.
just wondering. If i took a dble barrel 12 guage and sawed the barrel dwn real short.....then completely fabricated a pistol grip onto it....is it legaly now considered a handgun? I know i can do it and cut the barrel to 18 inches but can i legaly convert it with a shorter barrel? Tnx..RR
Old November 22, 2012, 12:23 PM   #2
5.56RifleGuy

No, that would create an NFA item. Even if it wasnt considered an sbs, it would still be a smootg bore pistol, and you cant have that without paperwork ether.

If you want to do the paperwork, knock yourself out.
Old November 22, 2012, 12:54 PM   #3
Crankgrinder

you can make a 12 ga double barreled pistol, but you d better not be seen trapsing around with it. way too much legal nonsense around short barreled guns and classification and beurocracy and such its likely to cause all kinds of trouble if seen by the wrong people.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:28 PM   #4
cohoskip

As I recall, there is a minimum overall length for short barreled shotguns. The barrel must be at least 18" and overall length ? 28" maybe...

NRA Life Member
Old November 22, 2012, 01:52 PM   #5
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankgrinder
you can make a 12 ga double barreled pistol, but you d better not be seen trapsing around with it....
And it would also be highly illegal unless you had complied with all the necessary formalities required under the National Firearms Act (and then only if it was also legal under state law as well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankgrinder
...way too much legal nonsense around short barreled guns...
You might consider the legal issues to be nonsense, but getting on the wrong side of them has some highly unsatisfactory consequences. It's prudent to take the legal issues seriously.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old November 22, 2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

Federal law requires 18" bbl length and 26" overall length for shotguns.
Any thing shorter in either dimension requires a $200 federal tax stamp.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:57 PM   #7
5.56RifleGuy

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...-firearms.html

Unless you are going to do the paperwork and pay the tax, dont do it.

"you can make a 12 ga double barreled pistol, but you d better not be seen trapsing around with it. way too much legal nonsense around short barreled guns and classification and beurocracy and such its likely to cause all kinds of trouble if seen by the wrong people."

This is terrible advice. If you are caught with an unregisterd NFA item, you will be jailed for 10 years, and be forced to pay a $250,000 fine.
Old November 22, 2012, 01:59 PM   #8
cslinger

Pretty sure it becomes an aow with a 5 dollar tax stamp. Still the same hoops to jump through, needs to be legal on fed and state level etc. but I think it would be considered an aow not a sbs.

As was said whether you think the law is arbitary or silly or whatever you still need to take it seriously as not only does it effect you but our community as a whole.
Old November 22, 2012, 02:05 PM   #9
jhenry

Those uber short pistol gripped shotguns used for breaching are AOWs so it may well be the paperwork and a 5 buck tax stamp. Considerable savings.

I don't know what the practical use of the thing would be, but it would be fun for sure.
Old November 22, 2012, 02:06 PM   #10
5.56RifleGuy

If you want to make one, its $200. In the scenario described by the OP, the transfer tax would be $200 because it would be classified as a weapon made from a shotgun.

Last edited by 5.56RifleGuy; November 22, 2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old November 22, 2012, 02:27 PM   #11
Long Path

Note: The tax stamp and ATFEIEIO approval must be obtained PRIOR to cutting down the shotgun.

This one has been asked and answered.
Closed Thread