The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 21, 2007, 06:53 AM   #1
SpiritWalker

HD Hearing Protection?

After reading through several threads about weapon choices for home defense, I wonder if anyone has given thought to hearing protection?

Granted, I'll risk my hearing before risking my life or the lives of those I care about but I've been considering getting a set of those "hunter's ears" just in case I have time to put them in before I'm forced to pull any triggers. Any unsuppressed firearm that would be effective against intruders is going to do a serious number on my ears in a small room. I already have significant hearing loss just from hunting (rifles and shotguns) and plinking (.22s and center-fire handguns) without hearing protection before I knew better and that was all outside.

Anyone else considering or doing this?
Old October 21, 2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Manedwolf

I have electronic muffs that are quick to turn on in the bedside drawer. I see no reason why a home intruder should be able to steal my hearing if I have to defend myself.
Old October 21, 2007, 09:30 AM   #3
Tanzer

Electronic ones are worth it if you can get to them. Especially in a "bump in the night" situation. You can actually amplify them to act as an aid (unless you've got dogs that bark as loudly as mine do.
Old October 21, 2007, 10:13 AM   #4
ClarkEMyers

Consider also a suppressed dedicated weapon Jurisdiction permitting.

That is after a full control of the lights and some hardening, dogs, alarms such as ADT and all the rest - the quietest shot is the one never fired.
Old October 21, 2007, 12:34 PM   #5
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
After reading through several threads about weapon choices for home defense, I wonder if anyone has given thought to hearing protection?
Use the search key and look through the 139 threads that match

home defense hearing protection

The topic is discussed in several.
Old October 21, 2007, 12:42 PM   #6
Manedwolf

Quote:
They're legal here, but for my SIG P220:

Jarvis replacement threaded barrel: $250
Black Box suppressor: $900

Ow.
Old October 21, 2007, 10:06 PM   #7
SpiritWalker

Quote:
I have considered it and I've decided not to give an enthusiastic assistant DA any chance to portray me to a jury as some "Rambo" type vigilante using exotic, deadly weapons that only assassins and the military have (Which is exactly what assistant DAs do regularly in self-defense cases, truth not being a consideration from their point of view.) Hence my decision to use a plain-jane 870 with no add-ons (until I pick up an outside hammer SxS), backed up by a Marlin .30-30 carbine and a stock Glock for home defense. I have more exotic "looking" and potentially deadly weapons but they won't be able to use that against me in court if I don't actually use them in defending myself and my loved ones. I'm confident of my abilities with the weapons I've chose and a lot more confident about the outcome of the aftermath.