The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 18, 2000, 01:02 PM   #1
Jack Straw

I've been working on hunting loads with my 7.5 inch Redhawk using 296 and RCBS 240SWC-GC. At 23.0gr, the POI is right on the bullseye (at 25yds). I get better groups with a max load of 25.0gr, but the bullets hit 4 inches to the left.

I can see how changing a load would change POI at 100yds with a relatively thin barreled rifle (ie..barrel vibrations being the culprit), but with the thicker barrel of the Ruger and at only 25yds, what else could really cause such a change in POI?

My plan is to stick with the 25.0gr charge and adjust the sights, but I was just curious as to what would cause a revolver to print that far to the left with a change in the load being taken into consideration. I'm not sure if I'm making any sense but I really don't know how to phrase my question.

Jack
Old August 18, 2000, 07:43 PM   #2
slickpuppy

Fear of recoil? Jerking the trigger?

Did you try it from a rest?
Old August 19, 2000, 08:36 AM   #3
slickpuppy

Jack,
I didn't mean to come off sounding like a smart@$$ or anything. xxero covered pretty well what I was getting at.

Grip and trigger pull repeatability are really important. Especially with a heavy hitter like the .44 mag.

I was flinching like a little girl with heavy loads in mine until I wussed out and bought another PAST shooting glove that actually fit. No more flinching and I could shoot more than 18 rounds without serious hand pain from full house loads.

PLUS, my groups off bags dropped down to one big hole at 25 yards - around 2 inches - and in the x ring.
Old August 20, 2000, 01:14 PM   #4
Jack Straw

I was shooting off of an MTM rest. The groups with 23gr of powder were about 4.5 inches and the 25gr groups were about 3 inches. I always consider the effect of flinching when shooting a .44mag, but the fact that I got tighter groups with the full power loads (only that they printed left of the other group) made me think it was something other than me flinching. I'll just go try again. I might try shooting over sandbags this time just to see what difference it makes. Do you have a preferred method for shooting revolvers over bags?

slickpuppy,
No need to worry; you didn't come off like a smart@$$.

I guess I wanted to discount flinching in my original question, but that still leaves me curious as to why changing a load can so drastically affect where the bullets print when fired from a relatively short, stout barrel at close range.

I'm one of those who just can't accept things without wanting to know "why".

Jack

[This message has been edited by Jack Straw (edited August 20, 2000).]
Old August 20, 2000, 07:39 PM   #5
slickpuppy

Jack,
I typically use a brick bag with the grip's butt firmly embedded into the bag. That, along with a 2 handed grip and a straight back trigger pull gets the results I look for.

Slow and easy on the trigger pull. The Redhawk's trigger gun to gun is really quite variable I have found. The key to repeatability is single action mode...cocking the hammer for each shot.

I really have been amazed at the recoil on this large gun. It truly is not a pleasant gun to shoot compared to my model 29 that got ripped off.

It still is a darned good pistol though.