The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old November 3, 2017, 08:55 PM   #1
turkeestalker

Brass Or Steel Henry .327?

Looking at the Henry in .327 and can't decide which to get, so I'd like some opinionated input.

I'm not interested in the shorter barreled carbine, I want the 20" version.
I really like the octagon barrel and brass receiver, but just can't get past that chrome fuel door on a rusted mid 80s Silverado looking brass barrel band.
Just really rubs me the wrong way.
Besides, the original Henrys didn't even have a hand guard much less any need for a barrel band.
The Big Boy Steel is cleaner looking with the forearm cap, and certainly useful with the sling swivels, but a thick rubber butt pad on a 7.5 lb .327 lever action? Why?
That just really rubs me the wrong way too.

So... seeing as how I doubt that Henry would build a Franken-Boy to suit me, and I am being a picky twit...
Which variant have others chosen, or would others choose?
Sway me one direction or the other please.
Old November 3, 2017, 09:31 PM   #2
Areoflyer09

I have a Golden Boy in .22 was that is one of my favorite firearms. I love the brass, but my Big Boy .357 is the steel version.

I couldn’t bring myself to get the brass on a gun that would be more likely to be taken out and out in situations where scratches are more likely. The steel has the swivels and checkering where the brass models do not. I wish my Golden Boy had checkering on it, it gets slick with any humidity very quickly.

If your looking for a range toy, the brass is great. If you are looking for anything else I would get the steel.
Old November 3, 2017, 09:35 PM   #3
ShootistPRS

If you want the gun for looks buy the brass. If you want the gun to shoot for a lifetime buy the steel. Let's face it the 327 is not going to go a lot faster or slower with a change in barrel length.
Old November 4, 2017, 12:06 AM   #4
FrankenMauser

I don't like the brass version.

As such, my vote goes to steel.
(And I would own one - the carbine version - if I hadn't blown the budget.)
Old November 4, 2017, 03:41 AM   #5
jetinteriorguy

I have both a .357 and. .41 BBS and love them. For me they are the perfect fit and balance, the most natural pointing rifles I've ever owned. And they are both deadly accurate out to a 100 yds no problem. I would like to add the brass version in a .41 just for range fun, but for me they are just so front heavy with the octagon barrel it wouldn't be good for anything else. As far as the recoil pad, with full house mag loads in the .41 I'm glad it's there. But on the .357 it's not so necessary, but I still like it since it really helps the fit for me and keeps the stock locked in better than a steel butt plate.
Old November 4, 2017, 04:16 AM   #6
RIDE-RED 350r

Check out the Henry Big Boy in silver!

Not available in 327 though
Old November 4, 2017, 05:16 AM   #7
PatientWolf

I’d chose the steel.

The brass never really did anything for me.

The steel is also significantly lighter. The extra weight is definitely not needed for that cartridge.
Old November 4, 2017, 06:05 AM   #8
fourbore

Good taste was never a strong point for Henry. Then again, they are satisfying a demand and making an honest profit. No problem here wit that.

I am not family with the 327 options. I would want a blue steel and wood stock in the lightest version (reasonable) available. Ideally a Winchester Model 92 or clone, but this is a Henry question.

I like the 327, I will have to go look and see for my self. OK, I am back. The 20" big boy steel would be my choice. Now, there is finally a reason for me to seriously consider a Henry.

The guns weight 7 pounds in steel and 8 pounds in brass (or more with more barrel wt)! My model 92 is a 5 pound rifle in 44. My marlin is 6 pounds. I guess not.

I give them an A for the effort.

Last edited by fourbore; November 4, 2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old November 4, 2017, 08:20 AM   #9
Wishoot

My buddy bought a brass one a month ago. It felt like I was holding a Subaru after an extended range session.

That being said...It was a nice rifle.
Old November 4, 2017, 08:38 AM   #10
turkeestalker

Aside from a few lever action rim fires, I only own four levers chambered in center fire cartridges.
One in each caliber offered in the Winchester 94AE Big Bore 'series' with 20" barrels.
I think they all weigh just over five pounds unloaded, definitely less than six.
I've never considered any of them to be punishing when it comes to recoil, though the .356 surprisingly seems sharpest to me measured against the .375 and .444.
Doubt that would even be a consideration with the .327 Federal.

I've always preferred flatter shooting smaller projectiles placed just below the jaw line when hunting for meat from whitetails so I am definitely interested in hunting them with it.
I like the idea of something 'different' with the brass receiver, though I'd not really considered it being like lugging a quality wood stocked bolt action w/scope through the woods regarding weight.
Also is the brass receiver really that prone to marring?
Never having owned one I'd not considered that aspect either.
I'm not abusive to my hunting arms, but accidents do happen.
I mean they say 'hardened' brass, but how 'hard' can brass really be?
Old November 4, 2017, 08:42 AM   #11
smee78

I also am interested in getting one and am sold on the 327 in steel. I'm not a shinny brass kind of guy so it was an easy decision.
Old November 4, 2017, 09:33 AM   #12
CLYA

I wanted blue steel for my first large caliber lever gun. For my second, I went with the brass (45-70) Henry. I actually do like the looks of it. It shoots very accurately, also.
Old November 4, 2017, 05:59 PM   #13
RIDE-RED 350r

If there is on negative thing I can say about a Henry it is that they are quite hefty for a lever rifle, especially compared to a Winchester 92 or 94. They are more similar to an 1886 in weight, but I believe the large octogon barrel is more the reason for that, not so much the brass receiver. My little sister now owns the brass Henry 30-30 that belonged to our Dad. It is a very nice rifle both in looks and function. But it IS heavy. Just this morning on our way out of the woods I handed little sister my 94 Big Bore 375 for a second and she was astounded at how much lighter it is than the Henry she's been toting around the woods. While she likes the lighter Winchester, she doesn't mind carrying the Henry because she's carrying a little piece of our Dad with her too.
Old November 4, 2017, 06:06 PM   #14
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootistPRS View Post
If you want the gun for looks buy the brass. If you want the gun to shoot for a lifetime buy the steel. Let's face it the 327 is not going to go a lot faster or slower with a change in barrel length.
Possibly true depending on the ammunition, but the longer barrel holds more cartridges and since the Henry's don't have a loading gate, you will spend less time reloading and more time shooting.

Were Henry to make a lever gun with a loading gate, I'd get the 16 inch model .327 and .45 Colt.

EDIT: and to answer your question, steel. Beautiful, blued, strong, hard STEEL

Last edited by TruthTellers; November 4, 2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old November 4, 2017, 09:25 PM   #15
Hawg

Quote:
Besides, the original Henrys didn't even have a hand guard much less any need for a barrel band.
Henry Arms Co. has no connection with the original Henry but they try to make you think they do. I'd go with steel.
Old November 4, 2017, 09:34 PM   #16
Brian48

I have a .44 Big Boy carbine. Went with brass mainly because of availability. Wanted the Steel version because I wanted the weight savings and also because I thought the wood furniture is a little bit more attractive to my eyes.
Old November 7, 2017, 12:31 PM   #17
McShooty

Wishoot: "My buddy bought a brass one a month ago. It felt like I was holding a Subaru after an extended range session.

That being said...It was a nice rifle."

I'm trying to figure out if that is a criticism or a compliment.
Old November 7, 2017, 12:34 PM   #18
gunman5646

327 Henry Big Boy Steel

[IMG]jpg[/IMG]I just purchased a 327 Fed Steel with 20" round barrel. I have the 357 version as well, which is a dream to shoot. The Steel model is at least two lbs. lighter than the Brass(6.5 vs 8.5), the non reflective finish is more in line with my needs(hunting and varmints), the octogon barrel is pretty, but not all that useful with a pistol cartridge.
I have done a little Chrony work with it. Using the AE 100gr soft point load as a baseline, it averaged 2008 ft/sec for 10 rounds. When compared to my 5 1/2" Single seven, it was an amazing 500 ft/sec increase. The little round requires very little hold over between 50 and 100 yds.
[IMG]jpg[/IMG]
Recoil is not even worth mentioning, it's nothing. Accuracy is 1 1/2 " at 100 yds. with factory ammo, more than adequite. Very, very handy rifle and beautiful to boot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA060010.JPG (78.5 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg PA060009.JPG (79.8 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by gunman5646; November 7, 2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old November 7, 2017, 01:47 PM   #19
NINEX19

I vote steel also, as that is what is on my list.

I have to ask though, where are you all finding these? I am non several list to get one and keep my eye out for any available online (excluding gunbroker). Nobody seems to be able to get one to sell to me.
Old November 7, 2017, 02:42 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

I have no experience with the Henry centerfires, but the .22 caliber "brass" frames are actually Zamak (zinc alloy) sideplates that are brass plated.
Old November 7, 2017, 03:01 PM   #21
FrankenMauser

Big Boy receivers are solid brass.
Big Boy Steel receivers are solid steel.

The 'undesirable' alloy is only used for the little guys.
Old November 7, 2017, 04:07 PM   #22
gunman5646

My LGS got two 20" steels , I bought 1 and I am holding out for the 16" steel carbine.
Discreet Defense , Red Bluff, ca

Last edited by gunman5646; November 7, 2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old November 7, 2017, 04:30 PM   #23
DukeConnor

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeestalker View Post
Aside from a few lever action rim fires, I only own four levers chambered in center fire cartridges.
One in each caliber offered in the Winchester 94AE Big Bore 'series' with 20" barrels.
I think they all weigh just over five pounds unloaded, definitely less than six.
I've never considered any of them to be punishing when it comes to recoil, though the .356 surprisingly seems sharpest to me measured against the .375 and .444.
Doubt that would even be a consideration with the .327 Federal.

I've always preferred flatter shooting smaller projectiles placed just below the jaw line when hunting for meat from whitetails so I am definitely interested in hunting them with it.
I like the idea of something 'different' with the brass receiver, though I'd not really considered it being like lugging a quality wood stocked bolt action w/scope through the woods regarding weight.
Also is the brass receiver really that prone to marring?
Never having owned one I'd not considered that aspect either.
I'm not abusive to my hunting arms, but accidents do happen.
I mean they say 'hardened' brass, but how 'hard' can brass really be?
I had a 375 big bore. Loved that rifle. 3 shots 3 bucks. Gave it to my nephew. He "lost" it in the woods behind his house. Found it 3 years later.

I'll never forgive that kid for that. Is there ammo or hrass available for these ?
Old November 7, 2017, 04:44 PM   #24
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser View Post
Big Boy receivers are solid brass.
Big Boy Steel receivers are solid steel.

The 'undesirable' alloy is only used for the little guys.
Makes sense now why Henry put the .327 in the Big Boy and not the rimfire rifles. I thought the .22's were steel receivers, but I guess not.

Were Henry to make the receivers from steel, would they be strong enough to handle .327?
Old November 7, 2017, 11:46 PM   #25
FrankenMauser

I'm not a metallurgist, nor an engineer. But I think it would be borderline - not enough meat around the chamber. The action, in my opinion, would need to be redesigned, as well.