The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 15, 2018, 12:17 PM   #1826
Armybrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Gun View Post
No thanks. I have done my part in contributing to the subject. I mean to complain that too much is made of the smaller cartridges. I wouldn't buy a 327 Federal to shoot anything but, except if lacking other options for 32 H&R, and thus my opinion of how others should view it all. I shoot what is stamped on the barrel.
I plan to shoot nothing but the .327 magnums from my new SP. Ain't planning on buying any of the weaker just as expensive .32 rounds.

I do shoot both .357 and .38 Special about half & half out my old SP, because the .38 is cheaper.
Old February 15, 2018, 12:31 PM   #1827
ViperR

Well, the Ruger grip came in today and it slides right in and all screw holes line up. But, it does need some edge fitting then polishing, so off to the gun smith it goes.
Here are some pics of it before I head out. I don't think it looks odd with the short barrel. Already feels better even without grips on it yet.

Last edited by ViperR; January 7, 2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old February 15, 2018, 01:25 PM   #1828
ViperR

Oh, and about ammo you all are discussing.
I'm going the reloading route. Buying a Lee press kit (everything), dies, 1,000 brass, 1,000 hardcast poly coated (can load these hot with jacketed data) 100 grain bullets, 1,000 primers & a pound of powder, will yield me 1,000 rounds with a 1/3rd powder left over. Everything was around $300. Comes out to Approx $15 a box. And that's if I toss the equipment and brass away after the 1,000.
Reusing the brass and going at another 1,000 drops the price per box even lower.
Old February 15, 2018, 01:50 PM   #1829
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
I plan to shoot nothing but the .327 magnums from my new SP. Ain't planning on buying any of the weaker just as expensive .32 rounds.
I guess $11 a box is just pocket change to some people.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...num+ammunition

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...unds?a=1584517
Old February 15, 2018, 05:51 PM   #1830
ViperR

A good snappy SW Long round that is clean & no leading is the Fiocchi 97 gr FMJ. Europe loads all their ammo hotter than standard US. And it had more felt recoil than even the 7.65's.
Experienced that with Fiocchi's 7.65 (32 acp) along with the Longs. The Longs are $20.99/50. The 7.65's are only $12.99/50.
I'm accumulating a good amount of their Long brass and might try to load some with the 100 gr hard cast and push it to it's limits. Both my revolvers are 327 Fed and beefy, especially the Ruger.

Last edited by ViperR; January 7, 2019 at 11:20 AM.
Old February 16, 2018, 07:03 PM   #1831
Glenn E. Meyer

I bought a case of those Fiocchis - work pretty well. I shoot them in matches in outlaw.
Old February 16, 2018, 07:26 PM   #1832
Armybrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
Hey Thanks! Never have seen any that cheap. Will order 4 boxes.
Old February 24, 2018, 05:39 PM   #1833
reteach

I mentioned this in another thread, but it seemed best to put the details here.
I took my Single Seven 3 3/4" birdshead to the range a couple of days ago. I got to compare several loads:
Fiocchi .32 ACP 60 grain jhp
Master Cartridge .32 H&R 100 grain jhp [old stuff]
Hornady Critical Defense .32 H&R 85 grain
Buffalo Bore .32 H&R ā€œ+Pā€ 100 grain jhp
American Eagle .327 Mag 100 grain jhp
Buffalo Bore .327 Mag 100 grain jhp

I don't have a chronometer and I didn't use a rest or brace - just a two-hand grip. The .32 ACP was great fun. I could barely tell I had pulled the trigger. My buddy in the booth next to me stopped in the middle of reloading to look around the divider to say something along the lines of "It's quiet. Too quiet." I shot 28 rounds and all of them ignited and ejected with no trouble. They were as accurate as any of the other loads. Of course, you'll have to test ACP for function in your own .327.

Based on my unscientific range trip, for defense I would choose Buffalo Bore in either H&R or .327 mag. The H&R had a bit more oomph than the others and the .327 was a bit tamer than the American Eagle. Also, the AE was spitting something back at me. The flash suppressors in the BB worked, too. In fact, the .32 ACP flashed a lot brighter than either of the BBs.
Old February 24, 2018, 06:47 PM   #1834
TruthTellers

What did you think about the Hornady Critical Defense?
Old February 24, 2018, 07:56 PM   #1835
reteach

First let me correct myself - I think the Hornady is 80 grain, not 85.
It shoots fine. It's definitely a lighter load all around than the Buffalo Bore .32 H&R. My guess, from reading sites like BBTI, is that the Hornady .32 H&R would perform about like a .380 round of similar weight. It costs less than the Buffalo Bore.
Old February 27, 2018, 01:02 PM   #1836
ViperR

Got the plow handle grip installed & fitted back from the smith. Great job he did and the dark rosewood grips really contrast nicely.
I'll be posting the birdshead frame and grips in the FS section.
Old February 28, 2018, 10:54 PM   #1837
TruthTellers

I just wanted to let everyone know that a 20 inch steel Henry Big Boy has been ordered and soon will be mine.

Old March 1, 2018, 08:25 AM   #1838
A pause for the COZ

Finnally had to get off the pot.

Have been a busy year, so not much gun stuff going on.
Still not the perfect time, but I was starting to get worried. I completely missed the boat on the Charter Target Patriot in 327 magnum.
I kept lollygagging about it and then when I was ready they quit selling them.
Did not want to make that mistake with the Henry.
I got my order in this morning. Buds has a 90 day lay a way plan.
I have used their Lay A Way before so thats fine.
My Single 7 should not have to wait much longer for its partner.
I laugh about Bud's trying to sell me insurance. If it gets damaged in shipment. I wont transfer it and they have to take it back anyway.

Old March 1, 2018, 09:00 AM   #1839
A pause for the COZ

Quote:
I think the thing about the capability to shoot multiple cartridges is overdone. First, the less powerful, if not all of them, are scarce and relatively expensive. Secondly, the size of the gun would be overkill for the smaller ones, leaving the question why one wouldn't simply shoot a 22. The whole point of the 327 Federal is that the smaller cartridges are not powerful enough for any meaningful role.
I know we have went over this a few times. And it is subjective to the user.
( thats why more than one gun is available in the first place)
For some people having options is important and a big selling feature.
I am one of them.
For me the 327 Magnum fill three roles.
My Wife's bed side gun. She is not a shooting enthusiast at all. And the only reason she has a gun is my nagging. I got her a Taurus M327 snubby.
Trying to train her up on full bore 327 loads was a non starter.
Started her out with 32 longs. Her comment ( This is not so bad I can do this)
Was able to train her with the manual of arms. Loading, unloading, Firing, ect.
With no recoil fear involved. Just made it simpler.
Then after she became fully familiar with the fire arm. We went through about 1000 rounds of 32 long.
Then we started to up the power. A few trips with 32 mags. Then finally the 327 magnums.
Pretty heavy load in a 2 inch snubby. She can handle them. She could have to begin with. But I know her, she would have went " eww thats to much" and gave up.
now she has her gun and she wont let me run off with it.

Thats just one. I have my own reasons I like it.
Old March 1, 2018, 09:43 AM   #1840
Real Gun

Quote:
For me the 327 Magnum fill three roles.
My Wife's bed side gun.
While my "bedside gun" is indeed a 327 SP101 sometimes, it is loaded (in 327 cases) with reloads that were taken from Bryan Pierce's article and rated as subsonic in velocity. Regular 327 Federal is way too loud for inside a building or even outside without hearing protection. I experienced 32 H&R indoors without protection, and it wasn't that bad.

Last edited by Real Gun; March 1, 2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old March 1, 2018, 09:53 AM   #1841
A pause for the COZ

We haven't really looked into toning it down for home protection use. I get it though its a very violent round in noise and flash.
Weighing the desire for as much power as possible against that issue.
IMOP 32's at low velocity just wont get it done. It can kill them but may be not before they get you. Same debate as .380's

We have been practicing closing the other eye when firing at night and indoors to preserve night vision.
My home gun is a 45acp so not so much of a issue. I let 230gr's do the work in that case.
The noise issue is secondary in a life and death situation. You have to still be alive to not be able to hear.
I dont have any real life experience shooting people. ( Thank God)
100% of what I know I have seen on You Tube ect. But I watch these as close as I can. One of three things happen.
#1 The gun comes into play and the perp runs. ( the prefered result)
#2 He is undeterred and takes many rounds before succumbing.
#3 The only ones I have seen that result in incapacitation. Have been a good shot. Or larger caliber.
Thats completely unscientific on my part.

Last edited by A pause for the COZ; March 1, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
Old March 1, 2018, 10:38 AM   #1842
Real Gun

Quote:
The noise issue is secondary in a life and death situation.
I think the issue is being prepared for a second shot, not totally stunned and disabled. For home protection you would be on the right track with that 45. This is no different really from the 38 versus .357 concern for the flash and bang inside a building, much less a small room, no hearing protection and possibly blinded by the flash. I just think full spec 327 Federal belongs outdoors.
Old March 1, 2018, 10:58 AM   #1843
NINEX19

Finally got my hands on the .327 Henry in 20". Very nice rifle with one glaring exception that I can not figure out why Henry allowed this firearm to be designed and sold in this manner. I know it is just a scaled down version of their other "Big Boy" models, but why O why would you go through the effort of creating this gun for the .327 and leave a tube magazine that is large enough to fit a 44 round in it? That tube is way too large and just adds additional weight. I would think it should have been an easy swap and to make it work. Looks goofy too, in my opinion. (I dislike front load tube mags anyway, but when your the only game in town, I have no option.)

The good news is that I have had zero problems and malfunctions so far (@ 100 rounds) with .327 Fed Mag, .32 H&R Mag., and 32 S&W long. I have not tried .32 ACP, but really have no desire to at this point.

Overall, I am happy with this rifle.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:11 AM   #1844
Real Gun

If you had tubing with 3/8" ID, you could fashion a sleeve for the tube magazine. That is the same idea as a bullet feeder tube converting from large cal to small. I tried one of the transparent tubes from a Lee bullet feeder and it measured a grunt over .400 ID and easily held 11 rounds, with the cartridges having enough room to move freely yet very stable.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:27 AM   #1845
A pause for the COZ

No feeding issues with the 32 longs?
That would be fantastic.
I have a Rossi in 357 magnum. It will just choke trying to feed 38 special.
I usually end up feeding one past the lift and into the lever. Have to dissemble the thing to clear the jam. Never does that with 357 mag loads just the 38's.
Old March 1, 2018, 11:32 AM   #1846
NINEX19

Quote:
No feeding issues with the 32 longs?
That would be fantastic.
Nope, not one problem. I was apprehensive about those based on some possible early negative reports, but they feed and shoot fantastic. I am using both round nose lead and SJSP. Feels like shooting a .22 magnum when shooting .32 s&w longs. Very fun.
Old March 1, 2018, 04:58 PM   #1847
TruthTellers

I'm really surprised at the reports of the Henry's being able to feed .32 Long, H&R Mag, and Federal Magnum all without issues. That's just awesome. Maybe Henry can come out with an optional part that you could install and allow you to shoot .32 ACP.
Old March 1, 2018, 05:24 PM   #1848
Low Friction

I've heard rumors the Henry 327 LG's will reliably feed up to 1.5" COL. There's a group buy for a 130gr solid cast mold. I ordered the GC version. For full power 327 in the Henry a GC cast seems like the only realistic option.

http://singleactions.proboards.com/t...-mjolnir-group
Old March 1, 2018, 05:47 PM   #1849
Real Gun

Quote:
I've heard rumors the Henry 327 LG's will reliably feed up to 1.5" COL.
The best I can do with Xtreme and Missouri RNFP is 1.512 until I start trimming case length. Watch out for those gas checks, because the typical semi-wadcutter profile doesn't run well in lever guns...not sure about Henry.
Old March 1, 2018, 06:53 PM   #1850
TruthTellers

So lemme ask this about .327:

For deer, what bullet weight would you choose and what's the max distance you would take a shot that will be as clean a kill as possible?