The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 18, 2017, 07:03 PM   #51
Pathfinder45

Use a rifle that you would actually hunt with and carry in the woods and mountains. Besides, there is something gratifying about seeing someone that knows his hunting rifle well enough that he out-shoots someone else that has, "better", equipment.
Old October 20, 2017, 11:31 AM   #52
Chainsaw.

Pathfinder, with that statement you are echoing sentiments of my nature.
Old October 22, 2017, 07:37 PM   #53
morgaj1

I have owned rifles of all price range and keep going back to Tikka. Hard to beat their smoothness and accuracy.
Old January 30, 2018, 10:28 AM   #54
Chainsaw.

Ended up ordering a savage 10t-sr in 6.5 creedmoore. Dies in route. 143 grain ELDXs in route as well. Got a buddy who has a sightron scope I'm gonna grab to throw on top until I can sell another rifle to fund a better scope.
Old January 30, 2018, 10:57 AM   #55
Tallest

Nice choice! I've eyed on of those on Cabela's a couple times recently, but pulled the trigger on a new .223 Bolt gun instead. We're developing a coyote problem on my in-laws farm.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old February 6, 2018, 12:19 PM   #56
jamaica

quote: "Winchester model 70, in walnut, of course. Caliber? I would choose 270 Winchester"

Yes! He got it right!
Old February 6, 2018, 11:58 PM   #57
Nunya53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathfinder45
Winchester model 70, in walnut, of course. Caliber? I would choose 270 Winchester first with a very close second choice of 30-'06 Springfield. Maybe the Featherweight in 6.5x55......looks pretty appealing to me.
While I commend your recommendation I would caution the featherweight 6.5x55 might be out of the price range for this OP. I found one on GB (classic) this last summer and it set me back north of a grand...but it's sweet and a swede and it was NOS....You can't go wrong with the Winchester M70, but look for a Classic or a FN production rifle. I've found used Classic Stainless in the $650 range on a regular basis....

Jerry
Old February 9, 2018, 11:03 PM   #58
Chainsaw.

So the latest update. Went and picked up the rifle from cabelas, along with a vortex pst 6-24 FFP. The rifle was actually on sale when I picked it up, $100 off, well they gave me the sale price, in the form of a gift card, which they allowed me to put towards the scope which was $300 off already. So, I basically got the scope half price.

Fast forward to to the range....which I fast forwarded to. Got zeroed in two shots. Then shot several 3 shot groups at 100, which ened quite well. Then I shot to 200, this ranges max. First three rounds at 200 measured .5 center to center Fantasic!

6.5 creedmoor 200 yards 3 shots https://imgur.com/gallery/35DyT

All the time the only other dork on the range kept shooting my target. Thankfully he was shooting 308 so it was easy to differentiate.

Last edited by Chainsaw.; February 10, 2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old February 10, 2018, 06:50 PM   #59
shurshot

Remington 700 or Winchester 70 is tough to beat in my opinion, especially in .270 Winchester.
Old February 11, 2018, 12:21 AM   #60
Fjblair

270 Winchester, you choose the the gear.
Old February 13, 2018, 06:44 PM   #61
ninosdemente

Glad I found this thread as I also have been looking for a bench rest bolt action target rifle. After reading, still undecided between the 12FV and the 10T-SR.

Not sure if I am just making it harder than it really should be. If I am honest to myself, I guess the fact that the 12FV is considered entry level, somewhat lingers in my head. Is the other rifle also considered entry level? I don't have much skill but do plan to practice once weather starts permitting. The caliber wanting to purchase is 6.5 creedmore. A previous member had mentioned 12FV along with other models. At the moment have saved to get the 10T-SR and have to save for the optics.

I definitely don't have knowledge on either. I understand that if I go from buying an entry level to getting a higher end rifle, it will not help me become a better shooter. I know I have to work on my skills and make the effort to get better every time I go out and shoot. I have been practicing with a Marlin XT-22 when I do get a chance.

Definitely not looking to get past the price of the 10T-SR.

As mentioned before I have no knowledge, what difference does the 2" barrel length do for either rifles?
Old February 14, 2018, 07:58 AM   #62
PlatinumCore16

Will the 2" matter? Probably not. Especially if you handload, which if you are going to get into serious bench rest shooting, you more than likely will (if you're not already). Technically the extra 2" could yield more muzzle velocity, all other things being equal. But that's not always the case. I would go pick them up and handle em. Whichever one you fancy better I would go with. However you are bench shooting, so the heft and balance aren't really as much a factor. The only other thing I could see helping you to make a choice would be the threaded muzzle meaning you could easily attach a muzzle break without extra work.

As far as your qualms with "entry level" their both made by Savage. You're going to get an accurate rifle and if something is amiss, they will take care of you.
Old February 14, 2018, 10:03 AM   #63
ninosdemente

PlatinumCore16, yes you are correct. Was shifting more towards the threaded muzzle.

I also am planning on handloading for this caliber eventually.
Old February 16, 2018, 11:43 PM   #64
Chainsaw.

Well I have the 10t-sr in 6.5cm and a good buddy has the 12fv in 6.5cm. They both shoot lights out. The glaring differences are the bolt knob, the rifling, the trigger is just oh so better o the 10t, the magazine on the 12 sucks, and the 10t come with a 20moa scope base which the 12fv does not. Either way they both shoot great, just gotta add on a few extras with the 12fv.
Old February 17, 2018, 12:36 AM   #65
stevelyn

This is is the next rifle on my list, except I want a 6.5 Creedmoor. A set of that winter digital camo is on there too. I just need to work out the metric sizing thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2v6zpg0c1X0&t=4s

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old February 17, 2018, 05:01 AM   #66
NWPilgrim

The Tikka T3 Hunter or Forester (difference is in the comb) both have decent wood stocks. Plus there is a large aftermarket in all kinds of stocks for the T3: wood, laminate, precision, kevlar and carbon fiber.

If you try the action and trigger of the T3 I think you will find it very competitive to the Savage and Ruger, Action is definitely slicker and tighter.

Second also on the Howa/Vanguard recommendation. Another accurate rifle often overlooked.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison