The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 11, 2018, 01:21 AM   #1
Martowski

Volquartsen Trigger in Ruger MK IV... Holy Cow!

So, just picked up a barely used Ruger MK IV that has had the recall work completed. The pistol looks brand new and feels great, although the trigger was horrible. At 4 lbs it was a little heavier than I wanted in a .22 for range work, but I might have been able to live with that except the pull was long and mushy with an overall gritty feeling. Enter the Volquartsen accurizing kit and after about 1 1/2 hours of installing, it's a crisp, 1 1/2 lb trigger. And, with the adjustable pre and post travel, it's amazing.

Here's before and after pics of the gauge with this. For anyone with a Ruger MK IV (or earlier model) looking to make a great upgrade, the Volquartsen kit is amazing. I only wish Ruger would do this from the factory, but I suppose there's a lot of liability involved in giving people a nice, crisp, light trigger.

Before:

After:

Old November 11, 2018, 10:31 AM   #2
rt11002003

I've put those kits in all four of my Mk ii and Mk iii Rugers. Well worth the time and expense.
Old November 11, 2018, 11:19 AM   #3
Martowski

Absolutley. But it just makes me question even more why Ruger can't at least do something vaguely comparable from the factory. And their magazine safety is horrible... I don't even understand why someone would want that.
Old November 11, 2018, 11:38 AM   #4
TunnelRat

To be honest with you, I don't want a 1.5 lb. trigger. I spent so much time shooting heavier triggers on DA revolvers and DA/SA pistols that triggers that light barely register to me. I feel uncomfortable even lower than 3 lb. I don't think it's hard to understand why Ruger doesn't go that low with a factory trigger. For the average person I doubt their accuracy is being held back by a 4 lb. trigger. That said, there are great companies as part of aftermarket that allow people to really customize their pistols exactly as they want.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old November 11, 2018, 05:34 PM   #5
gnystrom

I have been using VQ kits in my guns for years. Currently my MKIII has well over 100,000 teaching rounds fired and the 22/45 now has a complete VQ lower. Both shoot as well as either of my two Hammerli's I shot in Bullseye competition years ago.

Old November 11, 2018, 06:37 PM   #6
laytonj1

Took my MKIV to the range shortly after I bought it. It had one of the worst triggers I ever felt. Came home and ordered a VQ kit for it. Made a world of difference plus eliminated the mag disconnect.
I also have a MKI from 1960. It came from the factory with a great trigger.
I don't know what they did to the triggers after the MKII's but the triggers pretty much went to crap afterwords.
And before someone with a MKIII or IV tells me theirs came with a great trigger, it ain't the norm.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; November 11, 2018 at 06:42 PM.
Old November 12, 2018, 02:10 PM   #7
rt11002003

None of my three Mk iii's came with a decent trigger. All were gritty and had absolutely no feel. My Competition Target was the worst. Took it to the range, was barely able to shoot one magazine, 10 rounds. And, to add insult to injury, the rear sight fell off and couldn't be reinstalled because both the sight and the dovetail in the receiver were damaged. I've never returned it to Ruger CS because I'd installed the Volquartsen kits. Ruger CS will remove the non Ruger parts, install Ruger parts and return the non Ruger parts. I haven't wanted to reinstall the Volquartsen kit because it is perfect the way it is now. I might not do as good a job the second time.

I'm impressed with Ruger CS. I bought a used Mk ii Government Target which didn't handle the rounds properly. Sent it to them. They removed a after market extractor; then cleaned the gun, replaced a bunch of parts and drilled and tapped it for rail mounting and returned it without a charge. I didn't expect that. b/t/w it had a decent trigger. I later put a Volquartsen kit in it to get the lighter pull it now has.

None of my four Mk Rugers have a decent safety. They are hard to engage and disengage, sometimes impossible. I only use the guns on the range so I can live with removing the magazines and locking the bolts back, when not in use.

Even with the complaints I have, I still buy the Rugers. With a bit of work and some different parts one winds up with a nice performing pistol at a reasonable price.

I understand folks who don't care for a light trigger pull. I can live with a heavy pull if it is smooth. My HK Mark 23 had a 12 pound pull in DA; 7 pound pull in SA. However, it was smooth and crisp. I loved it, except for the fact it wore my hand out rather quickly. I now shoot a CZ 97b with less than a two pound pull, smooth and crisp. Not stock; needed some CZ parts and work to get it that way. Even then my cost was less than half the cost of the HK. Of course its not a combat pistol like the HK, but I'm not an operator. So it fits my needs.

Ruger could do a better job. I suspect its a matter of economics. Satisfy most folks, take care of complaints by having excellent CS.
Old November 13, 2018, 09:48 PM   #8
Martowski

I could live with a 3 lb trigger in this if were decent. Instead, it came with a horrible 4 lb trigger that was long, mushy, while being somewhat gritty as well. I would have been perfectly happy with the 2.5 lb trigger that Volquartsen advertises with its kit, but am thrilled with the 1.5 lb. This will only be a range gun.
Old November 14, 2018, 08:28 AM   #9
rebs

I had my local gunsmith put the Valquartsen trigger in my MK 2 and I love it. Made a world of difference in my 22
Old November 21, 2018, 12:44 AM   #10
sigxder

Girlfriend bought a Mark IV. Trigger was terrible. We got it for a good price. Put the Volquartsen Trigger in. And some Hi Viz sights. A different gun after these
mods.