The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 10, 2018, 11:45 AM   #1
TxFlyFish

38spl 130gr +P HST micro from speed loader

Does this new HST with the bullet seated flush in the case work well with speed loaders...compared to Hornady’s FTX which has a more pointy profile?
Old November 10, 2018, 12:15 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

"...bullet seated flush..." So does a WC. That JHP is similar to the old, old bullet, whose name I forget, that was a WC with the Hydra-Shok stem.
Using that bullet only means you'd probably have to wiggle and jiggle the loader some as the pointier bullets like an SWC, create a self-funneling effect a WC doesn't. So the 'speed' won't be fast.
Old November 10, 2018, 01:30 PM   #3
TxFlyFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
"...bullet seated flush..." So does a WC. That JHP is similar to the old, old bullet, whose name I forget, that was a WC with the Hydra-Shok stem.
Using that bullet only means you'd probably have to wiggle and jiggle the loader some as the pointier bullets like an SWC, create a self-funneling effect a WC doesn't. So the 'speed' won't be fast.
Yea that’s what I was worried about...it’s shorter overall compared to regular 38 round and those HST should sit up straighter. I’m just guessing no idea if this is an issue in practice
Old November 10, 2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Jim Watson

I shot a lot of wadcutters in PPC and the reload was not a problem in the time available.
Faster shooting as for USPSA and IDPA, they hamper the reload.
I have started an IDPA stage with wadcutters in the gun but roundnose in speedloaders on the belt for reloads.

If I particularly liked the submerged HSTs I would carry them in the gun, but something ogival for a hasty reload in the unlikely event of a sustained firefight.
Old November 10, 2018, 05:12 PM   #5
TxFlyFish

That’s a very good idea with the reloads! These HST have terrific expansion out of a short barrel
Old November 10, 2018, 10:59 PM   #6
Buckeye!

I carry the 130gr HST in my Charters ... In my speed strips ,I have Remington UMC 125gr SJHP 38spl +P ,
Old November 11, 2018, 12:41 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

Like Jim says, it's about the time available. Otherwise, it doesn't make any difference. You're still putting the 5 or 6 rounds in all at once.
+P ammo isn't exactly what you'd want for any kind of shooting game anyway. If you can't deal with whatever you need to while defending you or your's with 5 or 6 rounds, a reload isn't going to help.