The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 26, 2018, 04:00 PM   #1
chemcal

DAO for CCW

I've tried, purchased, and traded off many autos for cc; but I keep going back to my sig p250. For me, too many things to like about a DAO, however, I realize I'm in a small group. For those familiar with this platform, why is Kahr becoming so popular and doing so well, whereas the p250 died?
Old October 26, 2018, 04:23 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Kahr is sort of in a different size category than the P250. At times I wonder if Kahr had the popularity it did because of the fact that it was DAO or because they offered small single stack pistols in 9mm before many major manufacturers saw value in doing the same. My impression was more the latter. I wonder if Kahr has seen a decrease in sales now that almost every major manufacturer offers a small single stack polymer pistol. I'd also add the P250 had a mixed reputation at one time, whereas I think Kahr has generally been well regarded (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old October 26, 2018, 04:49 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

Kahr also has one of the smoothest DAO triggers around. It's what everyone else has to compare to.
I like the simplicity and effectiveness of Kahr's DAO. But maybe it's because I am well versed on double action revolvers as well.
I can transition from my LCR's to the Kahr seamlessly.
Old October 27, 2018, 06:16 AM   #4
kozak6

Is Kahr actually doing that well? They haven't made anything new in years other than new colors and adding rails to one model. Seems like every manufacturer these days makes at least a few sub/compact .380's and 9mm's. The Kahr trigger isn't a true DAO either (no restrike), but more of a DA-style pretensioned striker sort of thing.

The P250 had some teething difficulties, and it came out as PPQ-style "single action" striker pistols were catching on. I think part of it is that outside of law enforcement, there is no demand at all for DAO full size semiautomatics.
Old October 27, 2018, 07:47 AM   #5
PSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemcal View Post
For me, too many things to like about a DAO, however, I realize I'm in a small group. For those familiar with this platform, why is Kahr becoming so popular and doing so well, whereas the p250 died?
I agree that the DAO trigger is an excellent choice for a CCW and was the preferred trigger on my last two carry guns, a Seecamp and a Beretta Pico.

I agree with kozak6 that Kahr is not DAO
Old October 27, 2018, 08:34 AM   #6
MandolinMan

Quote:
why is Kahr becoming so popular and doing so well, whereas the p250 died?
Compared to other pistols and brands, are Kahr pistols hot sellers? I rarely see them on the ranges I frequent. The popularity of DAO and DA/SA as a whole seems to be declining, though both certainly do have a following.
" The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper
Old October 27, 2018, 09:10 AM   #7
chemcal

Don't see much of a place for full size, but my p250SC with 12 + 1 seems to deserve appreciation from those who actually shoot and have knowledge of carry firearms-MHO.
Old October 27, 2018, 10:48 AM   #8
JERRYS.

I use to carry a S&W 3953 and only stopped because S&W decided to no longer service these guns should they need repair.
Old October 27, 2018, 12:00 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
Don't see much of a place for full size, but my p250SC with 12 + 1 seems to deserve appreciation from those who actually shoot and have knowledge of carry firearms-MHO.
If the firearm you use has shown itself to be reliable and good shooting for you, then what does it actually matter if other shooters "appreciate it"? The pistol has no feelings one way or the other. There are a number of people that actually shoot and have knowledge of carry firearms, but people still have preferences. One person's preferences don't negate another's.
Maintain situational awareness
Old October 27, 2018, 01:39 PM   #10
Carl the Floor Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
Kahr also has one of the smoothest DAO triggers around. It's what everyone else has to compare to.
I like the simplicity and effectiveness of Kahr's DAO. But maybe it's because I am well versed on double action revolvers as well.

I can transition from my LCR's to the Kahr seamlessly.
I have the Kahr, and I have two LCR's. Yes both are great triggers. However, I prefer the Double action on the Beretta Nano to be my overall favorite. The Kahr has more free play at the beginning stage, where the Nano is deliberate and smooth all the way.
I just ordered a Smith 642. I know the action will not be as smooth as the Rugers, but have already visited my Smith to get ready and set a date for a trigger job.
It will be interesting to compare after that is completed.
Old October 27, 2018, 05:15 PM   #11
Black Wolf

Here's a funny -

Between reading the title and reading the first post (and seeing what you had), my first thought was "my P250 is one of the best carry guns I've ever had"

I have the compact 9mm. I love that gun. It is not what I currently carry, but doubt I will ever part with it.

To me, the trigger is SOOOOOO much better than (pretty much) any striker fired pistol I have shot. Doesn't stack, same smooth weight all the way through the pull. No wall, just right.

The downside to mine is - might be a little too light, I actually get light strikes with Tula. I don't remember if I have had any with other ammo. If so, they are very rare (like can't remember if it ever happened rare). Never worried too much about it because, with a true DAO, second strike is always an option.

I was really accurate with that pistol. I am just now getting to the point where I can shoot my carry piece as accurately as I could that gun.

It is crazy that it fizzled out. (To me) It was one of those pistols that stands out.
Old October 27, 2018, 06:49 PM   #12
chemcal

TunnelRat

Thank you for your comment which showed my poor choice of words and structure of my post. I was trying to express my surprise at the p250's demise and not at all wanted to put anyone down. My apologies to anyone I offended.
Old October 29, 2018, 08:53 AM   #13
Fishbed77

Quote:
Kahr is sort of in a different size category than the P250. At times I wonder if Kahr had the popularity it did because of the fact that it was DAO or because they offered small single stack pistols in 9mm before many major manufacturers saw value in doing the same. My impression was more the latter.
Agreed.

However, now that I have shot or owned pistols like the Glock 43, M&P Shield, Ruger LC9, and other small single-stack 9mm pistols, I've found that none of them truly perform any better than the CM9 I've owned for a good many years.

The Kahr DAO trigger is truly "good enough" for the role, and my CM9 has been flawless in operation as long as I've owned it.

Quote:
Compared to other pistols and brands, are Kahr pistols hot sellers?
I'm not sure about today, but manufacturing stats from 2013 show that Kahr (SAEILO, INC) manufactured more pistols than a number of other well-known brands in the US, including Colt and Remington, and almost as many as Kel Tec.

https://www.atf.gov/file/3341/download

That of course was before the introduction of many of its closest competitors.

Quote:
For those familiar with this platform, why is Kahr becoming so popular and doing so well, whereas the p250 died?
I don't see the P250 as having truly "died." As I see it, it just "evolved" into the P320, which better meets market trends.
Old October 29, 2018, 09:53 AM   #14
pete2

I carry a 642 revolver most of the time, LC9 (old style) occasionally, both double action only. Actually the LC is partially cocked, not true D/A.
Old October 29, 2018, 10:14 AM   #15
mete

Kahr ? He's spent much time and effort moving from NY to PA which is now his headquarters !! He's very near me now and has all his stuff in the new store .
he's obviously a smart guy . A real entriprenuer starting a gun business in NY state .
His DAO was the first thing that attracted me .Long and smooth it would be fine for defensive carry.
Old October 29, 2018, 10:18 AM   #16
ManyMag

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemcal View Post
I've tried, purchased, and traded off many autos for cc; but I keep going back to my sig p250. For me, too many things to like about a DAO, however, I realize I'm in a small group. For those familiar with this platform, why is Kahr becoming so popular and doing so well, whereas the p250 died?
I can understand why you like it.
I picked up a P250c 22 to train with as my carry is a P320c.
The trigger on the 250 just amazes me as to how smooth it is.
Old October 29, 2018, 11:47 AM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...whereas the p250..." People tend to equate quality with the price. Kahr's cost more.
However, which model matters too. The only thing that matters is how well the thing fits your hand and how well you can shoot it. Everything else is a 'Ford vs Chevy' thing.
Old October 29, 2018, 02:53 PM   #18
D-Ric902

I have a P250 that I like a lot. My only problem is my long fingers around the grip, tried the sleeves and it helps.
I don’t have a Khar, but an LDA from Para and a P220 with a DAK that shoots great

Old October 29, 2018, 03:49 PM   #19
chemcal

Shooting/dry firing my 250sc has improved my trigger ability with other platforms. My PPQ almost shoots as well as my HS .22, but, I would not cc either gun; way too scary for me.
Old October 31, 2018, 12:02 PM   #20
cc-hangfire

Those who love the SIG P250 are in a small club, and I’m with you there. I have several P250’s and the variety of frame/grip sizes and barrel/slide calibers for home defense, vehicle gun, and general range fun. I have Kahr 9mms for carry. The DA trigger suits me for a defensive handgun.

As far as I’d guess, the reason that the P250 didn’t last is the striker fired P320. Most shooters want a shorter trigger stroke and a shorter reset, and SIG went with the market.
Old November 1, 2018, 09:52 PM   #21
1MoreFord

Count me in for the DAO carry club. I have a Seecamp, a Smith 640, a Sig P290RS, and a couple of P250's. I like DAO's a lot more than strikers.
Old November 2, 2018, 08:14 AM   #22
subhuman

I am a DA/SA adherent these days having left behind all the striker pistols but my Shield, the Sig P250 that I shot wasn't bad but it's not for me for some reason, another DAO I have put a lot of rounds through is the SCCY CPX like the P250 it also has a very good DA trigger but also like the P250 it demands that you concentrate and cover all your pistol basics all the way through every shot which is probably why most people don't like them, I like that heavy first shot where i'm preparing and deciding to shoot but after that I prefer the short, crisp and light SA shots with minimal reset movement.
Old November 2, 2018, 08:56 AM   #23
Laz

cc-hangfire said:
Quote:
As far as I’d guess, the reason that the P250 didn’t last is the striker fired P320. Most shooters want a shorter trigger stroke and a shorter reset, and SIG went with the market.
I agree with that and the same market trend doomed the P290rs and produced the P365. Like the 250, the 290 deserved a better fate, IMO.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old November 2, 2018, 06:19 PM   #24
JJNA

I love my P250s, but hate my P290RS. The trigger on the latter is nowhere as good as those on my P250s, and it has an odd boxy grip shape that irritates the web of my hand.

P250s are the best “high capacity” revolvers ever made!
Old November 3, 2018, 06:52 AM   #25
Nathan

The P250 is a strange story. Cool concept, but never checked enough boxes for me to buy...

Kahr’s popularity has everything to do with being thin, full size sights and a relatively low bore axis. Then when you buy them, they shoot well. Only negative I saw was 40 recoil made fast shooting slow!

I do carry the CW380 and love it.