The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Closed Thread

Old November 12, 2018, 07:33 PM   #1
mehavey

Cabelas basic QC

We had a young man at the range today with a brand new Rem 783/scope pre-assembled combo from Cabelas.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/REMI...2.uts?slotId=0
He spent probably two relays without being able to get a round on the paper at 100 yards.
(Don't bother commenting at this point. I already know....)

Since the day was ending/getting dark/everyone else had left, the Range officer & I had had him pull
the target back to 25 -- and guaranteed him we'd have it on a 100 ±2" on the 3rd shot.

First -- simple bore sight:
Hmmmmm . . . . 14" low/13" right . . . at 25.
Ran out of elevation trying to adjust . . . .

Hmmmmm . . . . stand back at look at scope -- clearly aligned pointing to right along barrel. . . . and down
Hmmmmm . . . . look at scope mounts, 1 high/1 low . . . BassAackwards.

So we pull the scope & mounts, re-mount/re-verse/re-align and he's centered/1½ high at 100 on third shot.

Wonderful QC at Cabelas, maybe even Remington* if they shipped it assembled.
You could see the scope problem w/ the naked eye. . . . and it could NEVER have even remotely bore-sighted before sale.
No excuse.

(*postscript: the rifle wouldn't feed standard soft-tips from the magazine either.
Simply out standing)

Last edited by mehavey; November 12, 2018 at 09:18 PM.
Old November 12, 2018, 09:15 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Well that sucks. Glad it's fixed now. Hope you informed him never to trust pre-assembled.

When I get guns, bows, crossbows... anything assembled by in house staff or could be bought separately I always take it back apart, loctite the screws that need to be loctited and reassemble.

On the other hand I bought a Diamond Edge Sb-1 bow new at Cabelas in August. They took me to the in house range and had me shoot it. The peep sight wasn't tied in and flew across the room. They quickly grabbed their house brand off the shelf and tied it in. Tighter axle to axle bows have the peep sight at a different angle than longer bows. So it was the wrong sight. When I found out I called the manufacture and they wouldn't send me the right one. Said I could go to any of their dealers and have one installed for free. I have all my own tools so back to square one. Removed anything they could have done and installed the right components myself.
Old November 12, 2018, 09:18 PM   #3
FITASC

You're expecting minimum wage workers do something properly like you would get from professionals? Shocking I say!
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 12, 2018, 09:35 PM   #4
reynolds357

Quote:
We had a young man at the range today with a brand new Rem 783/scope pre-assembled combo from Cabelas.
https://www.cabelas.com/product/REMI...2.uts?slotId=0
He spent probably two relays without being able to get a round on the paper at 100 yards.
(Don't bother commenting at this point. I already know....)

Since the day was ending/getting dark/everyone else had left, the Range officer & I had had him pull
the target back to 25 -- and guaranteed him we'd have it on a 100 ±2" on the 3rd shot.

First -- simple bore sight:
Hmmmmm . . . . 14" low/13" right . . . at 25.
Ran out of elevation trying to adjust . . . .

Hmmmmm . . . . stand back at look at scope -- clearly aligned pointing to right along barrel. . . . and down
Hmmmmm . . . . look at scope mounts, 1 high/1 low . . . BassAackwards.

So we pull the scope & mounts, re-mount/re-verse/re-align and he's centered/1½ high at 100 on third shot.

Wonderful QC at Cabelas, maybe even Remington* if they shipped it assembled.
You could see the scope problem w/ the naked eye. . . . and it could NEVER have even remotely bore-sighted before sale.
No excuse.
Why in tarnation is it Cabellas fault? If you read the link you posted, it says "factory installed scope." Unless Cabellas manufactures for Remington, I would say big green is at fault. Why bash Cabellas? They didn't make it.
Old November 12, 2018, 09:39 PM   #5
reynolds357

A while back I bought a rifle, bases, rings, and scope from my local mom and pops store. They said "We will install it for free." I said "OK. Where is your lapping bar?" Guy said "what bar?". I said "I will install it myself, thanks."
Old November 12, 2018, 09:39 PM   #6
mehavey

Who SOLD it ?
...an easily discernible defective product.
Would you say the same of your local factory auto dealer ?

Crooked scope ...?
. . . Don't say that he's hypocritical
. . . Say rather that he's apolitical
. . . "Once the rockets are up, who cares where they come down

That's not my department," says Wernher von Braun.

WoW.
Old November 12, 2018, 09:43 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
Cabelas SOLD it.
So. Midway sold me a Sierra Game King bullet that keyholed and the rest of the box shot bug eyes.. How dare they not weigh every bullet they sale!!!
Old November 12, 2018, 09:46 PM   #8
mehavey

My condolences for your keyhole.
And you know the bullet was defective how ?
Quote:
I said "OK. Where is your lapping bar?"
Most of the general publics have no clue what you just said
... and the general public is the customer at such commercial enterprises.

Do you personally pre-check tire alignment/toe-in when you drive off a new-car lot ?
Or do you a priori expect the front linkage to be correctly installed by the factory/checked by the competent dealer before sale?

Surely you expect a $4.1 billion (with a B) sporting goods & firearms business to be no less able (?)

Last edited by mehavey; November 12, 2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old November 12, 2018, 09:53 PM   #9
jmr40

If the scope and mounts were that far off the purchaser should have caught it before paying for it. Sounds like a Remington problem, not Cabelas.

Winston Churchill
Old November 12, 2018, 09:57 PM   #10
mehavey

Oh Lord . . .
Rest easy sir.
Conversation over.

Moderators, lock it.
Old November 12, 2018, 10:03 PM   #11
reynolds357

Quote:
Do you personally pre-check tire alignment/toe-in when you drive off a new-car lot ?
Or do you a priori expect the front linkage to be correctly installed by the factory/checked by the competent dealer before sale?
I buy Chevrolet trucks. I blame "all" mechanical problems on G.M., not my dealer.
Old November 12, 2018, 10:07 PM   #12
reynolds357

Quote:
mehavey

My condolences for your keyhole.
And you know the bullet was defective how ?
Because, I have shot hundreds of those bullets with only one keyhole. If you shoot match long enough and weigh all your bullets, load the 1 in 5000 you find that is over 10 grains off and see what happens.
Old November 12, 2018, 10:45 PM   #13
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Remington® Model 783™ Bolt-Action Rifle and 3-9x40 Scope Combo
Mail-In Rebate
Adjustable CrossFire trigger system
Pillar-bedded stock and free-floated barrel
Precision button-rifled barrel
Detachable steel box magazine
Comfortable Super Cell recoil pad
Factory-installed 3-9x40 scope

Expect tight groups with a wide range of factory ammo with the sleek, tack-driving Remington Model 783 Bolt-Action Rifle and 3-9x40 Scope Combo. Custom-grade accuracy with a bolt-action design and now re-engineered onto a new platform. Remington's proprietary methods create the tightest tolerances from rifle to rifle. New stock design boasts striking lines. Pillar-bedded synthetic stock free-floats the barrels for spot-on shot-to-shot consistency. Premium carbon steel, magnum contour button-rifled barrel delivers tight groups. CrossFire™ trigger system is factory-set at 3.5 lbs. and adjustable from 2.5 lbs. to 5 lbs. Detachable steel box magazine. Comfortable Super Cell recoil pad. Factory-installed 3-9x40 scope.
Exactly where does it say "sighted in", or even "bore sighted"?
Ridiculous to blame the seller, or even the manufacturer. But maybe an important lesson for a new shooter. Properly sight in any gun if you want to hit where you aim.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 12, 2018, 11:36 PM   #14
Chainsaw.

My 6.5 rifle came with the scope mounted gratis. Shot great for a little while, then started wondering, took me a while to realize the base had worked loose. Popped it off, underneath was covered in oil, no lock tight on the screws. Ugg. Redid it all.... And yes I blame Cabela’s, or at least the young man who proudly proclaimed that “I do all the scope mounting around here because I’m the best at it” Shame on me for not catching that clue.
Old November 13, 2018, 05:55 AM   #15
Blindstitch

Off the Cabela's website. Pretty sure if they boresighted the rifle for him they would have caught the other problems but maybe he didn't ask.

https://www.cabelas.com/category/Sto...1728682380.uts

Need to get your gun on paper? Our Outfitters will mount and boresight your optics.

Free Boresighting for scopes purchased at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops*
Free Scope Mounting for scopes purchased at Cabela's or Bass Pro Shops*
Free Holster Fitting
Third-party Gunsmith Available
Free Gun Lock with Firearm Purchase
Trade-Ins Welcome
We Pay Cash for Guns (Single firearms to full collections)
Free Firearms Appraisals
Online Firearms (New guns ship free to store)
Special Orders Available
Old November 13, 2018, 07:24 AM   #16
Mobuck

{ I said "OK. Where is your lapping bar?" Guy said "what bar?". }

I've mounted dozens (maybe hundreds) of scopes and "don't have a lapping bar". The only issue in 50 years of scope mounting was with a pair of rings mis-packaged by the manufacturer. The customer took the rings home and cranked them down so hard he bent his scope tube. That cost me a replacement scope and new rings. After that episode, I mounted and bore sighted any package deals I sold.
Old November 13, 2018, 08:05 AM   #17
FITASC

Quote:
Surely you expect a $4.1 billion (with a B) sporting goods & firearms business to be no less able (?)
That is the amount of debt they have; which shows you just exactly how well they have been run since going public.......so, no I would not expect them to be able at most things.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old November 13, 2018, 09:38 AM   #18
reinert

I'll bet that young man was glad to get the help needed to getting his new rifle literally "straightened" out. Kudos to you and the range officer, mehavey. Have you stayed in touch with that young man? Mostly, after all this thread FUBAR on QC, and who's responsible, does the rifle shoot? For a rifle/scope combo for 300 bucks, and if the gun shoots, that's a hell of a deal, and all that really matters (IMO). What caliber is it? Just wondering...
Old November 13, 2018, 10:42 AM   #19
Tallest

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinert View Post
I'll bet that young man was glad to get the help needed to getting his new rifle literally "straightened" out. Kudos to you and the range officer, mehavey. Have you stayed in touch with that young man? Mostly, after all this thread FUBAR on QC, and who's responsible, does the rifle shoot? For a rifle/scope combo for 300 bucks, and if the gun shoots, that's a hell of a deal, and all that really matters (IMO). What caliber is it? Just wondering...
I'm prone to agree with reinert…

Every commercial and mechanical system on earth is set up and run by fallible humans. So mistakes are BOUND to happen, and expecting otherwise is patently irrational. Of course those mistakes are regrettable, but the flip side is our ability to correct them... and move on!

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old November 13, 2018, 12:20 PM   #20
LineStretcher

Can someone tell me if the scope mounting screw spacing is identical on the front and rear mounts? I can't remember ever seeing that before.
Old November 13, 2018, 12:40 PM   #21
T. O'Heir

"...Wonderful QC at Cabela's..." Cabela's manufactures nothing. They buy stuff and have their name slapped on. Same as Sears and all the other department stores did eons ago. And that 'combo' very likely did come from Remington with the scope mounted. Cabela's likely didn't even look at it.
As I recall, Remington has had all kinds of issues with their latest entry level hunting rifle called the Model 783. It's apparently nothing more than a variation of the Marlin XL7.
"...Where is your lapping bar?"..." You may want to look into what 'lapping' entails. It has nothing to do with mounting a scope.
"...Sierra Game King bullet that key holed..." There are several reason for key holing. Wrong bullet diameter, usually undersized. An oversize barrel, for whatever reason. Excessively low velocity. And in the case of cast bullets, a lack of lube.
Old November 13, 2018, 01:14 PM   #22
Tallest

Quote:
You may want to look into what 'lapping' entails. It has nothing to do with mounting a scope.
Plenty of folks will lap the rings when mounting a scope for the first time in new a new ring pair. I think that has something "to do with mounting a scope."

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old November 13, 2018, 04:37 PM   #23
LineStretcher

Lapping the rings is often bypassed today. It is seen as something that has little or no use. I feel it does remain an important part of the scope mounting process. I think it's important in the sense that if done properly on a set of properly aligned rings, it can help to give a better fit between the scope and the rings thus eliminating or at least reducing small contact areas between the scope and ring. It's not done for alignment reasons. It's something that follows process and in as much if you try to lap a set of rings that are badly aligned, you can end up taking too much material off rendering the rings useless as they cannot be tightened enough to keep the scope from moving during firing.

As a related subject, bedding bases is also seen as something that is not necessary. I still do it in certain situations.
Old November 13, 2018, 04:39 PM   #24
RC20

Unless it comes with the scope on it, I do my own.

Factory I take them apart and go over (if I use factory)

I don't expect counter people to be as invested as I am let alone doing X number a day.
Old November 13, 2018, 04:51 PM   #25
LineStretcher

OK, going back to the original post. The rifle comes with the scope mounted from the factory so all the bad stuff about Cabela's messing it up is, well, wrong. Second, this rifle uses the same scope bases as a 700 and while you can reverse them in their front or rear positions, you cannot swap the front for the rear unless you leave one of the screws out on each end. SO, I believe that the OP may be mistaken about how the problem was resolved if it even occurred as stated.
Closed Thread