The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 12, 2018, 12:27 PM   #1
oley55

Forster Co-Ax Press, Where are they?

none of the usual venders have the Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press in stock and options to back order are mixed. Forster direct appears to have them but at $499. Thats $170 more than previously offered by various venders!
Old November 12, 2018, 01:35 PM   #2
dallasb

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/3853/New-Items

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old November 12, 2018, 02:10 PM   #3
jag2

Looks like they are a little behind in production or they are so busy selling direct they can't fill orders from vendors. Just give them a call, I've talked to them a few times over the years and they are pretty nice. I'm sure they know others sell for less.
Old November 12, 2018, 02:21 PM   #4
1stmar

I just got one from midway 2 weeks ago. Check grafs of natchez. Had been waiting 2.5 months prior to that.
Old November 12, 2018, 03:06 PM   #5
oley55

out of stock at creedmoresports, grafs, natchez, Sinclair, Midway, Midsouth, and more. Something seems amiss...........

Last edited by oley55; November 12, 2018 at 04:06 PM.
Old November 12, 2018, 04:23 PM   #6
jaguarxk120

Check ebay for reloading press -lee. you have to use the -lee switch,
unless you want to look at thousands of useless posts.
Old November 12, 2018, 06:55 PM   #7
daboone

Ebay has 3 listed
Old November 12, 2018, 07:39 PM   #8
RC20

Quote:
Order Fulfillment - The Co-Ax Reloading Press is currently in very high demand. Please be aware that we are manufacturing and shipping our tools as quickly as we can. Some products are back ordered, so delivery will take longer than usual. Place your order now to reserve yours. It will be worth the wait.
I want to get one, I like the slip in the die feature.

On the other hand I have two RCBS Rock Chuckers (one was given to me)

So far paid for is winning.
Old November 12, 2018, 08:34 PM   #9
ed308

Optics Planet has them in stock for $324.

Sorry: Backordered like most other places.
Old November 12, 2018, 08:57 PM   #10
oley55

Quote:
Ebay has 3 listed
Yea, already been there and they actually have four listed. two new ones at 50-70 bucks over normal plus high shipping costs. two used, $300 for one from Houston that looks like the bottom half was soaked in saltwater, and the other wanting $275 plus $60 bucks for shipping (who's price isn't too bad), but without small primer or primer alignment tool.

But I am still looking....

Last edited by oley55; November 12, 2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old November 12, 2018, 09:33 PM   #11
oley55

Bonanza (Pre-Forester) CO-AX press ??

hold the phone just found this press on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bonanza-pre...6cMi:rk:6:pf:0

It looks exactly like a Forester except for the color and it utilizes a shell holder for the primer function. $300 with shipping, I wonder if Forster parts will work on it. May have to give Forster a call tomorrow.
Old November 12, 2018, 09:56 PM   #12
jag2

Don’t even think about it. Not having to use shell holders is one of its best features. I don’t know when but they changed the name many, many years ago. Perhaps someone else will know when.
Old November 12, 2018, 10:01 PM   #13
oley55

Quote:
Don’t even think about it. Not having to use shell holders is one of its best features. I don’t know when but they changed the name many, many years ago. Perhaps someone else will know when.
the press portion has the clamping jaws, only the primer seating function on the top uses shell holders.
Old November 12, 2018, 11:30 PM   #14
Chainsaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag2 View Post
Used to be Bonanza, now Forster. Mine is old enough its a Bonanza, rebuilt it a couple years back. Love it. Give it time they’ll come back in stock.
Old November 13, 2018, 08:07 AM   #15
daboone

The first edition Bonanza, the B1, uses shell holders. From the B2 on up they use a unique primer seating system that is very precise and adjustable. The first Bonanzas were brown not red.
Old November 13, 2018, 04:34 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

If they are like most manufacturers, they'll schedule runs at the same times of year. Once in a while (like, just before Christmas) they may run out if they didn't make enough in the last run. Call them and see when they are slated to get more of them out to resellers. The direct price will be full MSRP so as not to undercut their resellers. That's common enough.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old November 14, 2018, 08:54 AM   #17
daboone

RELEASE HISTORY of the CO-AX press

Model Revisions/Enhancements
B1 Compound leverage, reloading press.
(Designer: Clarence Purdie in conjunction with Army Marksmanship Unit)

B2 Eliminated removable shellholders from top priming station.

B3 Added 1⅛” more clearance under yoke handle to accommodate tall dies.

B4 Enlarged drop tube (028271-057) for primer collection and
larger set screw (028271-028) for securing handle.

B5 Two pins (028271-037-PIN) added to Shell Holder Jaw Housing (028271-037) to retain Jaw Pressure Springs (028271-039).
Last edited: Jan 29, 2018

I also posted in error in my above comment that the primer seating system was adjustable it's not. I don't know why I typed that as I know better.
Old November 14, 2018, 09:25 AM   #18
wingzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by oley55 View Post
none of the usual venders have the Forster Co-Ax Single Stage Press in stock and options to back order are mixed. Forster direct appears to have them but at $499. Thats $170 more than previously offered by various venders!
Brownells had them on sale about 2 weeks ago for $296.99 plus 10% discount and free shipping.

Last edited by wingzero; November 16, 2018 at 05:54 PM.
Old November 14, 2018, 09:30 AM   #19
ms6852

I had to wait for mind close to a year and half as it was on backorder before Brownells contacted me that they had some in their inventory. In the meantime I used a cheap Lee press.
Old November 14, 2018, 11:51 AM   #20
mikld

My 2 year old Co-Ax uses adjustable jaws for priming. Not the best, kinda hard to get some cases right (45 Colt w/thin, small rims), but with practice it works and on my 30-06 brass it works quite well. Prolly the best press I've used in over 30 years of reloading. I didn't have to wait and I bought mine from Brownell's in Feb. for an even $300.00. Some complain about the shell holder assy. but I really like it; I don't have to shove a case into a slot, just drop it upright and raise the handle. When I'm seating bullets I'll place a case on the shell holder assy., raise the handle to clamp on the case and placing a bullet in the case mouth is easier with the case not wobbling around. Everything I've found that would go in the "con" column is really minor, and mostly just need a small modification of my methods...

Keep shopping, I think the Co-Ax is well worth the wait...
Old November 15, 2018, 10:48 PM   #21
oley55

I'm feeling Hap, Hap, Happy! found a brand new one on eBay for $367 including shipping.
Old November 16, 2018, 02:32 PM   #22
T. O'Heir

"...on ebay..." Part of the purchase price will go directly to the people who want to take your firearms away from you.
Forster's site say they're behind due to high volume of sales. You can buy direct from them though. https://www.forsterproducts.com/
Old November 16, 2018, 04:59 PM   #23
oley55

Quote:
ou can buy direct from them though. https://www.forsterproducts.com/
You sure can for $499 buckaroos, not including shipping! That's an awful lot more than even the worse eBay ripoff artist, and WAY, WAY more than our usual vendors.

cut n paste from forsterproduct.com: Co-Ax® Reloading Press with “S” Jaws
$499.00.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...loading-press/
Old November 27, 2018, 09:06 PM   #24
oley55

I got one and love it

I absolutely love this Co-Ax press! Best $367 dollars I ever spent and after the normal disassembly, cleaning, and lubrication it runs smooth as silk.

I did file a little relief on the leading edges where the cross bolt rings slide in, as the sharp cast iron edges were chewing up the aluminum lock rings pronto hasty.
Old December 1, 2018, 08:46 PM   #25
J.G. Terry

Co-Ax: Mine is a Bonanza-bought new. If these things are going for three ben franklin's used I'm seriously considering selling mine. Good press but greatly overrated. Not trying to troll...that my story and I'll stick to it. Not looking for a fight.