The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 26, 2018, 06:04 PM   #26
FishinLuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
The PPQ 22 is also Umarex junk, but its larger, so they do feel a little more solid. They sure as hell aren't the quality of a Ruger Mark Series or a S&W Victory for about the same money.

I guess at $250 new its not too bad. I think they should be priced under $200 to make it worthwhile.

I'm glad some of you like them though. Junk is a relative term.
The Walther PPQ .22 is made alongside all the PPQ centerfire line in the Ulm, Germany plant, this is straight from Walther.

It is not built at the Umerex Arnsberg, Germany plant where the P22 and others such as the S&W M&P .22and some of the AR .22’s, such as the colt and sig. they also produce the GSG .22 (mp5 .22 clone), most of these are serviceable but have their share of cheaper parts and reliability issues.

Get the facts, I’ve emailed Walther and confirmed it. The PPQ .22 is on a whole other level of quality than that of the P22. I have one and did my research before buying it, you know research that actually involves emailing the company producing it.
Old October 26, 2018, 06:34 PM   #27
bac1023

Quote:
The Walther PPQ .22 is made alongside all the PPQ centerfire line in the Ulm, Germany plant, this is straight from Walther.

It is not built at the Umerex Arnsberg, Germany plant where the P22 and others such as the S&W M&P .22and some of the AR .22’s, such as the colt and sig. they also produce the GSG .22 (mp5 .22 clone), most of these are serviceable but have their share of cheaper parts and reliability issues.

Get the facts, I’ve emailed Walther and confirmed it. The PPQ .22 is on a whole other level of quality than that of the P22. I have one and did my research before buying it, you know research that actually involves emailing the company producing it.
That’s good to hear. I never actually owned one of those, but I thought I saw the Umarex area proofing on it, maybe not.

It definitely felt a lot more solid than a P22, but I never shot one. Umarex makes a lot of junk for many companies, but I shouldn’t have assumed.
Old October 26, 2018, 07:41 PM   #28
Auto5

I have the P22 combo pack with both the short and long barrels. Works great with CCI minimags. Every new shooter who tried it especially loved the grip size and shape. I haven't experienced any problems except with cheaper brand bulk ammo, but those give my Buckmark fits too.
Old October 27, 2018, 05:44 PM   #29
PolarFBear

I've owned both the Walther and Sig Mosquito. I no longer own either one and am happy. Both were purchased to emulate their center fire cousins. Both seem to be about the same quality. Seem to be pretty well made but just would not feed worth a flip except with HV ammo; and then it was sporadic. I kept them clean and well lubed. I long for my departed Buckmark. As an aside I also have (and will retain) a German manufactured PPK/S 22. Beautiful blueing very well crafted and it shoots about like the newer model PPK -lousy. By the way the dimensions of the old PPK and the new PPK are NOT the same. Magazines do NOT interchange.
Old October 27, 2018, 07:32 PM   #30
bac1023

The new PPK 22 is Umarex junk also.
Old October 27, 2018, 08:16 PM   #31
Cheapshooter

No, nothing Umarex makes fits the definition of "junk".
Quote:
junk noun (1)
\ˈjəŋk \
Definition of junk (Entry 1 of 3)
1a(1) : old iron, glass, paper, or other waste that may be used again in some form

(2) : secondhand, worn, or discarded articles

(3) : CLUTTER sense 1b

b : something of poor quality : TRASH
c : something of little meaning, worth, or significance
2 : pieces of old cable or cordage used especially to make gaskets, mats, swabs, or oakum
3 slang : NARCOTICS
especially : HEROIN
4 : JUNK BOND
5 : baseball pitches that break or are off-speed (such as curveballs or changeups)
6 slang : male genitalia
Just because they don't cost thousands of dollars does not make them junk. Just like the Heritage Rough Rider, and especially Hi-Point that has been proven in numerous torture tests to be nearly indestructible.
Call them low cost. Call them low end. Call them entry level. But just because they do not meet your elitist view of what a firearm should be, they certainly are not junk.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 27, 2018, 09:27 PM   #32
Cheapshooter

Lots of great info, and good, objective conversation here:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=48
Member 1917-1911M is the absolute guru of the Walther P22. Through his extensive use, research, experimentation, and work on the little Walthers.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old October 27, 2018, 09:50 PM   #33
bac1023

Quote:
No, nothing Umarex makes fits the definition of "junk".

Just because they don't cost thousands of dollars does not make them junk. Just like the Heritage Rough Rider, and especially Hi-Point that has been proven in numerous torture tests to be nearly indestructible.
Call them low cost. Call them low end. Call them entry level. But just because they do not meet your elitist view of what a firearm should be, they certainly are not junk.
No, its junk

Some people just have low standards or don't know any better. If Umarex isn’t junk on the current market, I don’t know what is. Its pot metal, Mattel quality plastic, and aluminum, all poorly fitted with lousy quality control.

You seem to have this complex about price. There are many inexpensive handguns that aren't junk. Umarex isn't one of them.

Last edited by bac1023; October 27, 2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old October 27, 2018, 10:07 PM   #34
JohnKSa
Staff

If the OP needs more information, he is free to post another question.