The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 24, 2011, 02:13 PM   #1
jomdlcrs

Chronograph

I want to purchase a chronograph but I am not sure what I need to consider when looking. I am looking for something relatively inexpensive but may consider spending more. I will be using it at a public range so something smaller that can be transported with ease would be great. Any input you guys have would be great thanks.
Old April 24, 2011, 04:28 PM   #2
alloy

I use a Chrony-F1 Master(I think)
The green model with remote readout. Less than a hundred.
It won't do all the math for me but aside from the tripod the complete set-up fits in a 30 cal ammo can.
It's about all I need.
Old April 26, 2011, 11:44 AM   #3
Poodleshooter

If you want an inexpensive chronograph, Chrony is usually your best bet.
I highly recommend the "master" feature that puts the electronics at your bench in a remote so you don't shoot it. Repairing the rest of it is cheaper. I've shot mine twice over the last 20 years.
Old April 26, 2011, 02:52 PM   #4
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodleshooter
I highly recommend the "master" feature that puts the electronics at your bench in a remote so you don't shoot it. Repairing the rest of it is cheaper. I've shot mine twice over the last 20 years.
I concur. You're still going to shoot it, but the repair is less expensive. Although from what I've heard recently it's almost as inexpensive just to buy a new set-up on sale. I shot mine several years ago and the repairs were $60.00. Junior shot his last month and the repairs were close to $100.00.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 26, 2011, 03:58 PM   #5
Twinsig

beta chrony master i paid $100 (i think). get some long wooden dowels in case you shoot them, they just break-off without damaging the sensors/hopefully.
Old April 26, 2011, 11:33 PM   #6
macsters

i use Competition Electronics Prochrono Pal. Cost me $100, shipped. You might find one on sale for less.

my one complaint is that while it works perfectly in the sun, if you don't buy the lighting setup, you will not work indoors or even in shade if its not high noon.

I shot the thing last fall, and competition electronics had me ship it to them. Including shipping to and from as well as parts and labor, it cost me $52. and i centered the LCD screen at a downward angle, so the 9mm did its job and went right through the innards and exited the back, destroying A LOT of the inside and both halves of the case. the repair was pretty cheap, all things considered.
Old May 7, 2011, 08:32 AM   #7
BHP9

I went with a PACT Professional and use a takedown SG case to carry it in, along with a sundry of equipment. For the IR setup, I use a 4 pistol case.