The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 30, 2018, 07:31 AM   #26
stagpanther

No--I live in a "Bambi love for tourist's bucks zone"--you can hunt anything else on the island--just not deer. People seem prefer to read about deer-vehicle collisions in the papers, which happens on a regular basis. Hospitality operators figures the stacks of bodies of people slaughtered by careless hunters will scare off the almighty buck (both kinds). I'm not exaggerating when I say I sometimes come home to a half dozen or more deer in my driveway--I've walked right up to a big 8 point 200+ lb buck to within 15 ft and he'll stand his ground like nothing doing. When I go to my local range to test AR builds or hand-load ammo--Deer hang out very nearby--even sometimes come out to watch, I kid you not. I follow the big bucks in my neighborhood--they come in regularly for the does that live here. They seem to come around for about 4 years before they disappear forever. Judging by all my trees stripped bare to about 6 ft off the ground--I'd say a fairly hard winter is on the way. ; )

Last edited by stagpanther; October 30, 2018 at 07:49 AM.
Old October 30, 2018, 03:25 PM   #27
NHSHOOTER

I dont put out trail cameras but I did notice some good sign in my usual hunting area, took my granddaughter out for youth weekend this past Saturday but no sightings, she was a bit discouraged being just 12 and the worse part is I took her last year to the same spot and she shot a 4 point at 7:30 opening day. She sat Saturday but didnt want to go again on Sunday, didnt force the issue but I did explain things to her about NH deer hunting, you dont see em every outing, sometimes can be many outings before seeing any..
Old October 30, 2018, 03:49 PM   #28
stagpanther

Quote:
I dont put out trail cameras but I did notice some good sign in my usual hunting area, took my granddaughter out for youth weekend this past Saturday but no sightings, she was a bit discouraged being just 12 and the worse part is I took her last year to the same spot and she shot a 4 point at 7:30 opening day. She sat Saturday but didnt want to go again on Sunday, didnt force the issue but I did explain things to her about NH deer hunting, you dont see em every outing, sometimes can be many outings before seeing any..
Tell your daughter not to be discouraged--I started hunting 6 years ago and have only tagged one doe in all that time--and she was limping.
Old October 30, 2018, 06:25 PM   #29
NHSHOOTER

I have told her but its tough when I tag out year after year from the same spot, but, I put in TIME