The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 4, 2012, 08:48 PM   #1
wicat3

Bolt action hunting rifle

Hey guys im thinking of saving some money and getting a bolt action hunting rilfe. Ive been looking around for a good cheap rifle. I was looking at something like a mossberg 4x4 or the ATR rifle. Im thinking a nice 270 win caliber. Any thoughts or reviews on the 4x4 or the ATR? Any other suggestions on a cheap reliable rifle are welcome as well
Old October 4, 2012, 09:49 PM   #2
gaseousclay

my recommendation, save and pay a little more money and get a very good rifle rather than a cheap rifle
Old October 4, 2012, 11:08 PM   #3
taylorce1

This gets hashed over a lot on this forum, I personally wouldn't buy a Mossberg ATR/4X4, Savage Axis, or Remington 770. Not when for less than $100 more in most cases you can pick up a better rifle IMO in a Savage 110/Stevens 200, Marlin XL7, Weatherby Vanguard, T/C Venture, or Remington 700 ADL. I just don't trust the Mossberg bolts, as far as I know it there has only been one documented case of the bolt blowing out the rear, but that's enough to make me swear of the rifle.

The .270 is a great all around cartridge for hunting anything in the lower 48.
Old October 5, 2012, 05:59 AM   #4
wicat3

I was looking around last night at a few online and I do like the stevens 200, marlin x7 and the remington 700 but I was also looking at the savage axis because its price, at least online, dosnt change if its a right handed or a left handed model. I should be shooting left handed because its much more comfortable for a follow up shot if needed but price seems to be a big issue when you start going after a left handed rifle, at least from what I have found
Old October 5, 2012, 06:12 AM   #5
Scout

I like cheap, too. But it has to work. The Stevens 200 fits the bill for me.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:20 AM   #6
jehu

Save alittle more $$ and get the Tikka or Weatherby Vanguard!!
Old October 5, 2012, 06:30 AM   #7
twins

Wicat3,

What price range do you consider cheap? If you're talking less than $500 out the door (without scope) then I have the following observations.

I have the following "cheap" new hunting rifles, Mossberg 4x4, Marlin XL7 & XS7, TC Venture, and the 700 ADL in various calibers. Out of those, IMO the TC Venture is the best of the bunch for quality, accuracy, fit/feel/finish, and price/value. Followed by the Marlins, Remington and last Mossberg.

I wouldn't hesitate to bring any of them on a hunting trip but after 50-100 rounds through each gun (to find best handload) at the range, the TC Venture in .270 is what I really like. If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have bought the Remington & Mossberg and put that $ towards the new Vanguard S2 and a nice scope.

Good luck and have fun in your search.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Saltydog235

$500.00? Why buy a new bargain rifle at all? There are a ton of higher quality rifles on the used racks that you can get for $500.00 or less.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:14 AM   #9
Doyle

I'm with Dog on this one. If you are willing to be patient and watch, there are some fantastic buys on used rifles. On another forum, I just saw where someone was selling a nice Sears branded Winchester model 70 30-06 for $300. I bet I've seen 30 similar good buys in the last 6 months and I'm not even looking.
Old October 5, 2012, 07:15 AM   #10
jmr40

The Mossberg, Savage Axis, Remington 770 and Ruger American are the new generation of disposable rifles. They actually work pretty well, at least for a while. They are not long term values however. For about the extra cost of 2-3 boxes of ammo you can do much better. Being able to pick up a few extra boxes of ammo seems like a good deal right now, but you will quickly shoot up that ammo and realise you could have done better.

The Stevens 200, Weatherby Vanguard, Howa and TC Venture are all good choices. Of those I really like the TC the best.

Used guns are everywhere. A decent Remington 700 or Winchester 70 can often be found for $350 or less.
Old October 5, 2012, 09:52 AM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Browse around and look at different rifles. Feel and fondle and get some notion of what seems to fit you best.

I'd check out pawn shops and offer somewhere around half of their asking price and try to get them to come down a bunch.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:06 PM   #12
baddarryl

Marlin xl7
Old October 5, 2012, 04:25 PM   #13
wicat3

It doesnt have to be new. I looked into the TC line and liked a few of theres. I did like the looks and the reviews on the venture but now im seeing a recall on them. Kinda makes me worry about picking up a new one and even more a used one. My budget is around 500 or less. I would love something in the 350 range. I had a bolt action weatherby vanguard in 270 but I had a hard time with the right handed bolt action
Old October 5, 2012, 05:04 PM   #14
jimbob86

Quote:
500.00? Why buy a new bargain rifle at all? There are a ton of higher quality rifles on the used racks that you can get for $500.00 or less.
This.

The will often have good glass on them, as well.

Check the consignment racks....

My brother picked up a Remmy 721 in .270 WIN, scope, and a reloading set-up, brass, bullets and primers for under $400 at Green Mountain Guns in Denver.
Old October 5, 2012, 06:27 PM   #15
coyota1

Quote:
$500.00? Why buy a new bargain rifle at all? There are a ton of higher quality rifles on the used racks that you can get for $500.00 or less.
I say the same also. Most of my purchases are used. Not just because they are cheaper, I also usually like older stuff better anyway.
Old October 6, 2012, 12:03 AM   #16
taylorce1

Quote:
I was looking around last night at a few online and I do like the stevens 200, marlin x7 and the remington 700 but I was also looking at the savage axis because its price, at least online, dosnt change if its a right handed or a left handed model. I should be shooting left handed because its much more comfortable for a follow up shot if needed but price seems to be a big issue when you start going after a left handed rifle, at least from what I have found
Since you are a lefty you would be better off saving your money for a Savage 110, Remington 700 or a Ruger than buying the Axis. Being a southpaw does severely limit your options. Some good bolt action alternatives for you would be a pump action or single shot rifle. Remington Morley 760 rifles can be had pretty cheap on the used market. NEF/H&R handi rifles usually shoot pretty well and can be bought for around $300 new.
Old October 6, 2012, 10:55 AM   #17
RC20

270 is a fine caliber, but what are you hunting and at what ranges?

30-06 is far more versicle, but only if you need versatile.
Old October 6, 2012, 11:23 AM   #18
wicat3

Im hunting Deer. I have a remington sportsman 74 in 30-06 just would like a bolt action. I hunt CT and NY so range is pretty close compared to some other places
Old October 8, 2012, 06:42 AM   #19
p5200

Anyone tried the new Ruger Americans?
Old October 8, 2012, 06:55 AM   #20
wicat3

From what ive seen and heard alot have looked at it and some might have held it but no I havnt found anyone who has shot it. Most of my reason for staying clear from it.
Old October 8, 2012, 07:01 AM   #21
p5200

I found a 1996 model Marlin MR-7 in 30-06 at a good price and really good shape shoots my reloads of Hornady A-Max at sub moa. groups at 100yds hoping to take a buck with it this year.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:00 PM   #22
Joe Chicago

I bought a new Weatherby Vanguard S2 in .308 for $425 and it comes with a sub one MOA guarantee, but shoots groups as tight as 9/16" with ammo it likes. It has great fit and finish, has the same "three rings of steel" as the M700, a three position safety and a two stage trigger that breaks like glass under three pounds. It also has an optional detachable magazine. On the down side, it is pretty heavy so it is not a good gun to carry up and down hills all day and the two stage trigger is not for everyone. You should definitely consider the S2 at your price point. If you really want a bargain, the old Weatherby Vanguards sans the three position safety and two stage trigger are priced in the $300s.

I recommend at least handling several different rifles in your price point at your local gun shop to see what fits. The rifle that fits me perfectly may feel off to you. Better yet, see if you can fire some candidates at your local range (do you have buddies with any of the recommended rifles?). You should also consider buying used, but inspect the rifle carefully.
Old October 8, 2012, 12:12 PM   #23
wicat3

I do have some buddys who have at least one of them. I need to go and look and feel them. I dont want anything to big or long if you will. I had a weatherby vangaurd before but it was to long and akward to reload so I would like something on the smaller size
Old October 8, 2012, 01:23 PM   #24
bailey bud

I went looking for a decent hunting rifle about a year and a half ago.

I ended up with a used Winchester Model 70 (mine is from 1964).

I know Winchester enthusiasts bad-mouth the post '64 Model 70s - but mine shoots as straight as a laser. No - I can't work the action while holding the rifle upside down ---- but that's the only limitation I've found, so far.

Some of the nice used guns that I found:
- I found a few Savage rifles (pre-accutrigger) for mid-high 300s.
- I found a beautiful used Remington 700 ADL (wood stock) for $400.
- I found a very clean sporterized 1903 for $450.

New discount gun packages that impressed me:
- Remington ADL package from Cabela's
- Thompson venture package (amazing features at more amazing price)

I decided to stay far away from the 770s. You're way better off finding a pre-loved gun for about the same price. Wasn't that impressed with the Savage/Stevens rifle, either - although it's certainly better than a 770.

In .270 - I think I'd look for a used Winchester Model 70. There's really nothing on this planet nicer (of course, that's my own unbiased opinion)

One note - if you want to shoot a lot - stay away from the .270 WSM.
The .270 short cartridge costs a LOT to shoot.
Old October 8, 2012, 07:39 PM   #25
goalie

All my Mossberg ATR-100 in .270 does is kill deer. These are two of the dozen or so one-shot kills with mine since I bought it when they first came out. It shoots factory ammo (130 grain Fusions) into 1.25-1.5" at 100 yards, and handloads into about an inch, although, in it's defense, I have not really spent a ton of time working up loads for a rifle I paid 220 bucks for and drag up into trees on a rope.

The important thing to me is that my ATR-100 shoots to POA every time I take it to the range, and it has never missed a deer or needed a second shot.

It isn't as nice as many rifles I own, but I don't mind HUNTING with it. And, where I hunt, that means bad weather and dragging it up into trees behind me.

Don't listen to the naysayers. You can get a good-shoot'n rifle these days for little money. The Marlin XS/XL7, Ruger American, Savage Axis, Stevens....they'll all kill and the animals will never know the difference.

FWIW, I have a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75x fixed scope mounted on the ATR with Warne rings.

Edit: I didn't mention the Remington 710/770 for a reason. The ones I have shot sucked. Bad. They are an embarrassment to the Remington name. If I won one or was given one, I wouldn't even shoot it.